“What a treat!!!”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“What a treat!!!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Thank you for an amazing nights stay on Thursday, which started with coffee on the roof terrace what a special treat. The room was bright and very clean and all the staff very helpful couldn't do enough for us, you too Oliver! .Breakfast was a treat. Hotel couldn't be better situated in the centre of Canterbury. We will definitely be going back.

4 Thank pamelae984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed here last minute and got a double room with a shared bathroom. Despite poor reviews in the past, newer reviews were good and said the hotel had recently been taken over.
The location is perfect, only 10 mins walk from the station and next to the cathedral in the centre of town. The staff were very friendly and helpful. As the buildings so old the floors are a bit uneven and the whole place is a bit of a warren so i wouldnt recommend for disabled people. There is a garden/patio overlooking the cathedral where you can have tea and coffee.
Our room was lovely, really clean and the carpets and furniture are all brand new. Despite my reservations about the shared bathroom it is only shared between a couple of rooms and was clean and decorated to a high standard.
A continental breakfast was included in the price which was more than enough including toast, croissants, tea and coffee, yoghurt, fruit and cereal. For a few pounds extra there is a cooked ooption. The staff serve this to your table.
The only negative was the rooms being in the town centre on a weekend night which was a little noisy but I expected that from a hotel in the centre of town. Ear plugs were provided.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Interrailed2007
Cadillac, MI
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I loved staying here! I loved the quirkiness of this charming place. I wish my kids could have been here with me, they would have loved walking to my room on a roof! It was very Mary Poppin-y. The floors are slanted, the doors crooked.....that IS the charm of this place!!! We had a 'did that just happen?' moment while sitting on the back terrace having tea looking at the cathedral, when five or six red military planes flew, in formation, between us and the cathedral! Perfect!

I wish I could have stayed longer than one night. I stayed in Serenity and my friends stayed in Joy. Both are rooms that the new owners have already renovated. Both beautiful rooms, Joy had unbelievable views of the cathedral, mine had rooftop views, I could see part of the Cathedral Gate and some of the cathedral. I would definitely recommend staying here. If you like new and chain hotels, you are not getting that. You are getting quirky and historic!!

2 Thank tlchippy
Warlingham
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Thank you for a wonderful overnight stay. We loved the quirkiness of your hotel, the roof garden and have to say the staff were so very polite and helpful - Oliver you were so helpful too! We would definitely stay here again, in the centre of Canterbury life. The rooms were neat and clean, the breakfast a treat and the hotel was the perfect base for exploring Canterbury.

1 Thank Karen W
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I booked four nights at the Cathedral Gate Hotel in spite of some discouraging Trip Advisor reviews.. for one thing it was the only available room in Canterbury for my dates and for another the location was ideal… in the very heart of the cathedral town. Staying there was a happy decision, as it turned out. The hotel changed hands only four months ago and the new management is determined to make the old and historic hotel as welcoming and comfortable as possible. The refurbishment began, not at the entrance- which is still shabby - but in the back with the rooms. We had the twin en suite 'Amity', so fresh and spotless I thought we were the first guests (we weren't )and even with the window open during the night there wasn't a sound to disturb our sleep. True, the ancient floors slope (the building was the Sonne Hospice back in 1438!) and the wifi doesn't yet make its way past the reception area..but the cosy roof garden with its view of the cathedral was a pleasant oasis, a generous continental breakfast was served in our room and the obliging and cheerful staff made us feel truly welcome. Three of the best eating places were within a block of the hotel and the magnificent Cathedral, the highlight of a stay in Canterbury, was our next door neighbor.

Room Tip: We had a great night's sleep in the Amity room at the back
1 Thank 28A
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Owner and staff went above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The owner even personally served us breakfast an hour before it was normally served because we had a cab to catch...that she helped us book! Perfect location and beautiful new rooms!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Charla M
Bath, UK
Reviewed 2 August 2013

OK. I am going to try and write a balenced review of this hotel based on a huge amount of travelling on both business and pleasure in many locations and in many hotels across the world.

Firstly, this is not sub-hostel level as one individual has suggested nor is it up there with the Algonquin, Danielli or the George V. It is, to me, a hotell that has been unloved for some time and exploited by previous owners on the basis that its location would do the selling and not the service. It is now in new hands and, if the improvements and renovations I saw are anything to go by, the new owners mean to lift this place out of the doldrums. The location is unbelievable - right in the centre of the city with terrace views right on to the cathedral itself - and it therefore deserves a refresh and a new beginning.

I found the service to be friendly and helpful right from arriving at reception until our departure after breakfast the following day. This included directions to the nearest car park and a permit for 24 hours parking for a very moderate £5. Our room (The Barn) had clearly been renovated recently with new paint and carpet. This did not extend to the bathroom where the fixtures were a little tired and the water pressure in the shower somewhat limp. (That said, if I was faced with modernising the plumbing in a building of this age, I would be doing some careful planning!).

Our bed was clean and comfortable but the floor sloped and there was a tendency to slip down the sheets during the night. The same was true of the dining troom for breakfast where the floors had a quirky level. But, hey! this is an old and historic building.

Continental breakfast (included in the price) was very good with cereal, yoghurt, fruit, croissant and cheese with fruit juice, tea and coffee being served by very friendly and efficient staff.

If you are the kind of person that enjoys the Marriott experience where it takes twenty minutes to check in while they provide false smiles and endless salutations, this is not the place for you. If you want a great location, be prepared to giggle at some of the scruffy bits then its worth a try. I think, on current evidence, within a year or so, this place could be up to a fantastic standard. At the moment it's a bit scruffy and doesn't merit the prices it is charging. I'd rate it at 3.5

Would I go back? Certainly.

Room Tip: The Barn was a good family room. Double bed plus two bunks.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family