“'Dawn' at the Cathedral”

Cathedral Gate Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
“'Dawn' at the Cathedral”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

A friendly place with perfect location, my top floor room ('Dawn') had a stunning view of the cathedral. This back of house room was quiet and the windows could be left open all night. Bathrooms were newly done up and more than adequate, the towels and linens were a high quality, and the continental breakfast gave a good start to the day. If I could change one thing I would eliminate the small green light in the main bedroom light fixture, which cast an eerie glow in the room at night.

Room Tip: choose a room at the back for a quiet night.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Larry P
CathedralGateHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Cathedral Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Dawn definitely has most stunning views!

We understand that some people are bothered by the little green light. This is why we have had some covers made, so that those who find the light obtrusive can cover it. I apologise if you were not informed about the covers, and will remind our staff members that they should be offered to all of our guests.

We hope to see you again when you're next in Canterbury.

Cathedral Gate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had a great stay here recently and we really enjoyed the quaint and gorgeous hotel. it is full of history and the the room is so amazing with its sloping floor and the view of the square. The host is so friendly and kind and offering us a nice coffee whilst we sat in the garden courtyard which look out to the cathedral- amazing view , even though we had our breakfast. i really recommend this place for its quaintness, history, great location and such polite host,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annieben2013
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Loved the stay at this gorgeous quaint hotel in the heart of Canterbury. Staff were polite and friendly with the room being beautifully traditional. What really was the cherry on the cake for me was that I accidentally left one of my favorite dress's behind & rather than the staff/maids flinging it out, they kept it for 3 months (I couldn't rathem out where I had lost it) and when I called up last week they posted it back to me! Really chuffed & would recommend anyone who wants to visit Canterbury to stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire D
CathedralGateHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Cathedral Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Claire D,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review. We're so pleased to hear your stay was enjoyable, and so glad we could reunite you with your favourite dress!

Hopefully we will meet you again when you're next in Canterbury.

Wales
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I loved this place. When I first told relatives I was going to be staying in a fifteenth-century pilgrims' hostel they asked, 'does it have running water?' (I think they overestimate my budget tendencies.) The hotel has a lot of character in its tiny corridors and sloping floor in the breakfast room, but it's also been shown a lot of love. The room I had was 'Dawn', which is a very small single room at the top of the building with a view of the cathedral. Fortunately, the two kind young men working the desk the night I arrived were willing to haul my suitcase up the stairs!

The room was equipped with a TV, kettle, tea and coffee things, a bottle of water, towels, and a sink; the shower and toilet were down the hall. The towels and bed linens are good quality--the duvet was wonderfully fluffy! And of course, the view of the cathedral out the window can't be beat.

(Warning: this should go without saying, but if you are staying very close to a cathedral in Canterbury or anywhere else, there will be bells at hours of the morning you are not prepared for. It's just a hazard of the location.)

There are two breakfast choices: continental, which comes with the room, or cooked, which costs extra. I don't eat that much at breakfast anyway and the continental is plenty big! I had croissant, cereal and fruit, which was fresh and very good, and a pot of coffee. Other people were having seconds of things and it doesn't seem like they skimp on the food.

The check-out time is a comfortable 11am, so I popped over to matins at the cathedral and then came back to pack up. The hotel staff were willing to store my luggage for the afternoon while I had a look around the town, and rang a taxi for me when I got back. Even though it's a pedestrianised road, taxis and hotel customers can come up the road for loading and unloading.

All in all a comfortable hotel in a perfect location--staying here is much better than those 15th-century pilgrims had, for sure!

Room Tip: Get a view of the cathedral if you can! Be aware if you have mobility issues that stairs are unavoid...
Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cathteg
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely and thorough review!

We're glad to hear your stay with us was enjoyable despite the morning chimes from the cathedral (at least they don't ring the bells all through the night! :-)), and hope to welcome you back when you're next in Canterbury.

Region of Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Canterbury pilgrims have slept in this quaintly creaky place since the 1400's. We were rewarded with a magnificent view of the cathedral. It’s easy to spend an entire day touring this cathedral, if you’re interested in church history. The hotel staff were fantastic, helpful, friendly. Hotel is clean, room fitted in fresh modern style, lounge, small bar, fun slanted dining room...only disappointment was missing Basil Faulty come running through opening and slamming doors!

Room Tip: couple roooms have Cathedral view...just ask and ye shall revieve.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JonandSydBellis
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

One of the best historic buildings I've stayed in. Very quirky with sloping floors and slanted windows! Great friendly staff and clean rooms. Fabulous location right next to the cathedral, a real find!

• Stayed June 2013
CathedralGateHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Cathedral Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words -- we are delighted to hear your stay with us was enjoyable and hope to see you soon again!

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This is quite simply a fantastic hotel right in the heart of Canterbury. Rooms are spacious,light and airy with unfussy,good quality furniture. Staff are friendly,helpful and create a warm atmosphere. Price is great too - we paid £120 per night for 3 of us. If you visit Canterbury this is the place to stay - just the best.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends