“Quintessential English charm”

Magnolia House
Magnolia House
Ranked #61 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here for one night. The place oozes English charm is that slightly overstuffed, Victorian way. We stayed in room 6 upstairs which with heavy cases is a bit of a haul. Our room was large and in impeccable condition, decked out in a kind of Laura Ashley English Manner house style. The bed and pillows were a bit firm for my liking, but no real drama. Breakfast is fresh prepared to order and served downstairs in a sitting room. Full marks for hot porridge and fruit! My boiled egg was a tad undercooked though. Wifi works downstairs,but is a struggle I the room we had. We had to snag the signal downstairs and then try to retain it going back to the room. They really need another router upstairs. Overall, full marks to a lovely little B&B in a lovely little town.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Magnolia House

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a v.good quality B&B (rather than hotel). We stayed in the Garden Suite which had a large en suite bathroom. The room was spotless and comfortable. The breakfast was wholesome, cooked fresh and served hot. Located less than 10 mins walk from the heart of the town - specifically the Cathedral - so you can leave your car on the drive. Cosy, central and good value.

Room Tip: Pick the garden suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike-Swiss
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My daughter and I stayed here 22/23 May 2014 on a spur of the moment decision.
We are so glad that we picked this delightful B&B.
It is an oasis of calm yet only 10 minutes walk from the High Street.
Our room at the back of the house was gorgeous, spacious, clean and beautifully decorated.
Everything was perfect, quality hair and bath products decanted into classy glass bottles, a change from the usual hospitality stingy products.
A huge thank you to Isobel, the owner for a welcoming stay, we didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just stayed three nights at Magnolia House. It is a charming B&B and is close to the centre of Canterbury (10 mins walk from the High Street). It is also convenient for Canterbury West train station and buses to Whitstable, Swalecliffe etc. No need to worry about what you might have forgotten to pack - a great range of toiletries is supplied in the rooms, also a complete sewing kit (including tape measure) and wine and water in the fridge. The hospitality tray includes a cafetiere, teapot and a very good range of teas and coffees, chocolates, biscuits etc. I stayed in room 2, a single room, and was very comfortable. Lovely and quiet - I slept really well.The curtain rail over the wardrobe area kept falling down and the light flickered in the shower room, but this was all part of the charm of the place. The building is Georgian, and quite quirky. It is well decorated and although there were a few too many knick knacks on the narrow staircase for my personal taste - well, it is what it is. The owner has given the place a very distinct character.

The food is fantastic and is beautifully presented. You are invited to fill in the form for tomorrow's breakfast while you are still eating today's - this didn't bother me at all but I'd rather not commit myself to the time I would like breakfast 24 hours in advance, even though there are plenty of slots to choose from.

I enjoyed my stay very much

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I'm American but living in London, and I this B&B made me feel like I was very much in England-- in a house with lots of history, a helpful but not in-your-face owner, and a quintessentially English breakfast. Our room was cozy and made us feel like we were guests in someone's home, but with modern touches (like the very powerful shower). Regarding previous negative comments about the owner, that wasn't our experience at all... she was helpful and warm, without being nosey or persnickety (as some B&B owners can be).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked a Friday and Saturday night stay for my partner's birthday. I always book hotels but decided to give a b&b a try for a more personal touch. I almost instantly regretted my decision as when we arrived the owner greeted us very coldly, told us where to park, sit etc with very little warmth. I really did feel like I was intruding in her house which made me feel very uncomfortable.

Our room a superior double was nice, bathroom was nice with a really good shower. I don't mind the fuss of the decor as it's part of the charm, but did find that there was a little bit too much stuff. I think I counted 8 things on the dressing table which I ended up moving around the room so I had enough room for my stuff. I did think that there was a lot of nice touches in the room which you wouldn't get in a hotel. There was wine and beer in the fridge, razors etc in the bathroom. The shampoo etc was re-filled bottles which I thought was a little cheap given the price. However,all the little touches were very nice.

The bed was vey comfy and we both slept really well both nights, very heavy lined curtains helped keep out the daylight which was great for us. Room was a good size, room to move around and plenty of storage.

The breakfast was really nice, you could tell it was freshly cooked and the produce really was of a good quality. I did find ordering the day before a little odd, as I don't know what I am going to want or how hungry I am going to be 24 hours before hand, but it wasn't a major problem. The dinning room is so small and the tables so cramp it is very uncomfortable to eat there. My partner asked for a coffee and was told very bluntly by the owner that he had pre ordered tea. He was given a coffee but we were taken back by the bluntness. Another guest knocked the coffee off (due the small space between the tables and the overloaded tables) on to the carpet, my partner was not offered another drink or even a mug to share the pot of tea with me, we ended up sharing my cup. We could have asked, but was scared of the response from the owner at this point!!

The location really is good, I am no walker nor fit in any way and we did it in 10/15 minutes, if it took you longer, you are going to wrong way!!

The owner at times could be friendly so I do feel bad about being a little negative, but I feel the approach we received was inconsistent. Another guest commented to me that the owner was "scary" so it wasn't just us.

I felt the price I paid was fair and I would recommend people stay there as overall it is a lovely place and beats yet another chain hotel!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed overnight whilst meeting friends in Canterbury. Chose this B & B based on trip Adviser and ability to park the car. Cannot overstate our pleasure at having found such a nice welcoming and well presented accommodation.( Unlike the experience of our friends who stayed at the other end of town). The room was furnished to a high standard with many nice touches such as a cafetiere, fresh milk in the room fridge and lovely bathroom with a good shower and bath.
The owner was very welcoming when we arrived but apart from that totally non intrusive, providing us with a door key and offering the chance to pre-order our breakfasts.
We had a cooked breakfast accompanied by porridge and fruit. It was cooked freshly and my fried eggs were perfectly presented together with a sharing dish of sausages, bacon, mushrooms and plenty of toast.
I normally stay in hotels and found that the quality of this accommodation, though obviously limited in number of rooms, exceeded that of many hotels charging an equal amount.My only caveat is that parking, if all rooms are occupied, might be a problem.
Well worth its 5 star rating.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends