“Another wonderful canoe outing with Dave Wise at Canoe Kent”
Review of Canoe Kent - CLOSED

Canoe Kent
More attraction details
Owner description: Fully guided, all inclusive day and multi-day Canoe Tours on the waterways of south-east England, including the River Stour (near Canterbury), the River Medway (nearer London) and Hythe Royal Military Canal (near Folkestone/Dover), with excellent opportunities to view rare wildlife, stunning scenery and hidden historical sights. Deserted island campsites are our speciality! Beginners welcome.
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Another wonderful canoe outing with Dave Wise at Canoe Kent in August 2011. This was my second trip in an open top canoe round the islands and islets of the Medway Estuary on the north Kent coast.

On this trip seeing a colony of wild seals of different colours was a real thrill! Being able to get up close and take a stack of action-packed snaps was absolutely priceless.

At the halfway mark up Faversham Creek we stopped for a long lunch on the riverbank. Dave rustled up a dish of prawn pasta sprinkled with chopped samphire picked from a mudbank. A hearty Indian bread replenished any energy lost on the first leg of my guided tour.

From the wilderness of Oare Marshes almost up to Faversham town centre, I realised how quietly canoeing can be a wonderful way of discovering without disturbing the natural treasures that lay on my doorstep.

Such trips are great fun if you like exploring the great outdoors. We gently paddled a course of a dozen or so miles. I suggest one needs to be confident on water and physically fit to cover such a distance. Be prepared to encounter, at times, nerve-testing waves breaking over the boat’s bows. The weather can change dramatically, quickly.

Dave’s knowledge of the waterways and tides must make him unique. His skill in navigating the tidal backwater of places I’ve only seen from firm ground gives me great confidence. I felt Dave made my welfare and safety top priority making our journey together comfortable and enjoyable.

I can’t wait for my next trip and thoroughly recommend this affordable and exciting way to meaningfully experience our coastline.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Using my own canoe I joined a Canoe Kent trip down the river Medway out into the estuary. Certainly a great couple of days. The transition down the Medway from freshwater to salt was very interesting. Scenery, history, archaeology and landscape. I couldn't help but feel that I was seeing the skyline of Kent as it would have been seen by those that navigated the river since the stone age. All those people, all those years and still the same river. A great trip with two nights wild camping. Still can't believe it's only about 30 miles from the centre of London.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Medway’s maritime history is rich and lengthy; packed with tales of strength and courage, sea-faring stomachs made of steel and salt-blinded skills. As a more recent product of the Medway Towns I lack most of these traits, so approached Dave Wise of Canoe Kent, as he prepared for our trip, with trepidation and a weedy wave.

Within five minutes of being with Dave, this had changed to a growing sense of excitement and adventure. The instructions were clear and friendly, the canoe secure and the planned journey a breeze into the unknown.

Under Dave’s gentle encouragement my technique improved and I soon realised that it’s all about how you use the paddle, not the strength you have. Within 40 minutes we were clambering ashore the wild and beautiful Nor Marsh. After pitching camp we were soon exploring, tucking into the salty, fresh burst of samphire and scavenging for treasure. The cracked porcelain was probably from Aunt Irene’s long-lost dinner set…but we pretended they were Ming Dynasty era. The clay pipes could well have been Roman and the bottles were over a century old, as beefy as the long-dead seaman and stacked with marbled detritus.

As the sunset and the tide began to rise we headed for Fort Darnet. It’s hard to describe the change of perspective, less than half a mile from stable, dry land. The much-maligned Medway shore took on a romantic glow, as the orange blaze danced, then died behind Gillingham’s gas tanks and urban sprawl.

On Darnet we pitched tents, ate, supped and chatted, as the tide lapped ever closer with its mesmerising lullaby. Dave’s knowledge of the area is immense. And his travelling tales span the world. Add to this wit, passion and understand – making Dave a campfire talesman of some force.

After more morning adventures we headed for home; an exhilarating ride on the in-rushing tide. A trip on the Medway with Canoe Kent is eye opening, unforgettable and exhilarating. You feel a world apart from the nine to five of dry land and, in Dave’s inimitable company, you feel like the fulcrum and focus of the trip.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

I joined Dave for a two days and two nights paddling on the Medway Estuary and Swale. Dave was a considerate guide and good company throughout.

The paddling was at times a little bit challenging especially coming back up the Swale. Dave provided all the encouragement and help needed to crack it. The sense of satisfaction gained when looking on a map at the distance we'd covered made it well worth the effort put in.

Along the way we were treated to the sight of seals in the water and basking on the shore. The mirror flat water as we set of from Deadmans Island the morning of the second day was a delight to be on as the early pink skies slowly changed their hue to clear blue and the promise of a warm, dry day. Ideal conditions to get some snaps. Worth mentioning now that all my kit stayed safe and dry throughout.

The second night we camped on Fort Darnet. I'm not much of a food buff but anything cooked over an open fire gets my vote. Thankfully Dave has a healthy interest in good eating and served up some tasty grub topped of with a desert featuring bananas and chocolate!

The paddle back to shore on the last day was filled with mixed feelings; the satisfaction of having had a great time, anticipation of a long bath and clean clothes, and sadness of saying goodbye to the sense of freedom and adventure I'd felt albeit gained in my own back yard!

See more reviews
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Yet another enjoyable trip on the Estuary with Canoe Kent, I have been out twice on the estuary, three times on the Maidstone area of the River Medway and on Two sections of the Royal Military Canal, so far only the estuary Trips have been over night camping, I am hoping to arrange with Dave to take a trip from Tonbridge to Faversham, should be 3 days.
This recent trip was from Riverside Country Park to Darnet Island, we loaded up the canoe Friday evening straight from a rubbish day/week at work, put on the buoyancy aids, quick safety chat and we were off. The plans were to go for a paddle round neighbouring Islands to take in the scenery and some snaps during the following day, but I opted for a nice easy day spent looking round the Fort and Island, Dave was very accommodating and was fine with staying put. It was nice to have a good long look and even managed a paddle round inside the fort in the Canoe, different perspective from there, for a small Island it surprises me how much time can be taken up exploring.
My favourite part of the trip has to be the evening, time to relax, forget the previous work days and just enjoy doing nothing, some food, a little alcohol and a camp fire. We had a few showers during the night but everything inside was dry in the morning thanks to good quality tents, leaving us refreshed and ready for the rest of the day.
Until you are out in the canoe, you dont always realise what places you have to visit, I think you have something for everyone, Adventure, Bird watching, Historic Buildings, views and not forgetting the sun setting and rising if your camping, the only down side is the weather that can cause the trip to be cancelled, I would gladly recommend a trip out with Canoe Kent