“Watch out!!! Terrible Customer Service and an on line booking system that is unreliable!”

The Marlowe Theatre
Ranked #4 of 114 things to do in Canterbury
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I have just had a very bad experience with booking my Marlowe Theatre tickets for the Rocky Horror Show in August. My friends and i were really looking forward to the show...however on booking the tickets on line the page froze on the confirmation of debit card payment not showing as confirmed...no message appeared to say confirmed. .so the next evening i tried again...this time a 'thank you' message' appeared.
Unfortunately i was moving at the time of booking snd recieved my credit card statement through at a much later date and only recently realised i have been allocated and charged for double the amount of tickets!!! I have been told these cannot be refunded and will not be refunded...i explained the situation advising i am a single mother of 10month old and hadnt realised the error until after moving and would appreciate some better customer understanding and a little compassion as i have been charged on my credit card for the error from the theatres website!!

I have now got to pay out further postage costs to send them back the tickets...i find it hard to believe this cannot be easily dealt with on their system cancelling the tickets and refunding to my card....or begrudgingly sending me a voucher and cancelling the tickets there end without further inconvenience to me...the customer! Horrible experience...ruined my night out before i have even been to see the show..completey disappointed with the Marlowe and their distgusting customer service. Be warned!! Watch out for the website and dont get stung!!

3  Thank Local888
Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)
All reviews
in 71 reviews
"ballet"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed 24 June 2013

A great modern building with fabulous view of the Cathedral, a lovely bar right at the top! Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

A late review for Seth Lakeman who was great! but bar is freezing as auto doors keep opening, access to stalls is cramped and I suspect unsafe if problem a arose, Seating is cramped, uncomfortable with little lumbar support and no legroom so spoilt show for me. The old theatre was fine and from the audiences point of view I'm not sure what benefits if any the new theatre has. Any multiplex cinema could teach the architect of this place a lot as regards seating. Assume its like this to cram more people in to make more money. As you can tell I am angry as this is my local theatre and we did have a perfectly good one!

3  Thank chris p
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The theatre was easy to walk to from our hotel. The facility was very nice. It is probably one of the best venues for a concert I have been to. The seats are comfortable and arranged so that no one's view is blocked. The venue is small and intimate. Perfect place to enjoy a concert.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My husband and I visited the Marlowe Theatre in Canterbury to watch a play. I must admit the play wasn't very interesting but it would have improved a lot if we had been able to hear the dialogue. We sat in the stalls and the cast appeared to mumble, my husband who understands sound and volume says The Marlowe was originally the size of an old cinema and now it has been enlarged and upgraded to a bigger auditorium, relying on old fashioned theatre accoustics in a larger venue is the problem, and the stage needs to be miked up with some sort of microphones to pick up speech or the cast wear neck microphones as they did in London when we saw Jersey Boys. I suggest if you go to this Theatre you take an ear trumpet. When I contacted the Theatre I was told next time to tell the booking office that I am hard of hearing lol I have the best hearing there is. The sound effects were far too loud!!

5  Thank itsallgoodfun