“Can't go wrong!”

Cuisines: Pub
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Can't go wrong!”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Very friendly staff, superb food and a really nice atmosphere, would thoroughly recommend for food or just a few pints!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Alex M

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Party Booking cancellation”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was very disappointed with the way that the Old City Bar handled my upcoming event. Having it booked a month in advance, I independently hired a band (and paid them a deposit) and inviting over 80 people they cancelled it with only 5 days to go! The only reason given was that they didn't have enough staff to check iDs. I thought it would be reasonable that the bar would therefore pay the deposit for the band that I had asked to play, or even as a good will gesture some of it, the manager said "its got nothing to do with me" and refused to pay anything or even offer an apology. The first lady I spoke to seemed very apologetic and was helpful, however the man I called secondly enquiring as to why my party was cancelled (who later turned out to be the manager) was very rude and dismissive.

• Visited January 2014
6 Thank JamesMc1996
Leeds, UK
“The food has improved again”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

After a spell where the quality of the food had gone downhill, it's improved again in the last couple of months, which is very good news. It's good value, and the staff are friendly. In the summer, the garden at the back is a nice place to eat. And after your meal, there's a selection of board games you can borrow to have a bit of fun while having a drink. A good local again now :)

• Visited December 2013
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
“Favorite of the University Crowd”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My "adopted" son who was attending university in Canterbury, insisted we try this place as it was a regular hangout of his and had reasonable prices. We sat in the back overlooking the patio which contributed to the warm and relaxed atmosphere. To me the menu was eclectic as you could get bangers and mash, to eggs to curry at lunch but that might just be very British. I believe fish and chips (french fries) are one of their top sellers and seemed to be enjoyed by the boys. I had the curry which was okay, I have had better. The service was fine and the price reasonable, so definitely on my list of "go back to" restaurants in Canterbury for a pub lunch.

• Visited December 2012
Leeds, UK
“The food has gone downhill lately”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This used to be a really nice place for a lunchtime meal. I don't know what's changed lately, but the food is quite poor now. The chips used to be the nicest chips I'd had anywhere. Last time we went they were terrible overcooked offerings. Still a lovely pub to go to for a drink, but go somewhere else for food. A shame.

• Visited June 2013