“Don't go for the food, eat out”

Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Two of us stayed DB&B for 4 nights and the dining experience really spoiled our break. We only received a breakfast menu with choices on one morning (the only day there wasn't a group booking staying), otherwise it was buffet only. The dinner menu was the same every day, no menu rotation here. Main courses looked good on paper but were tasteless or overcooked on delivery. Had broad bean risotto one night which resembled bland rice pudding with no evidence of broad beans. I sent it back and was told it would be taken off the bill (it wasn't). Lamb cutlets were the exception - excellent but as for the rest.......
As for the desserts....an example was the triple strawberry offering - it consisted of a dried up custard tart with bits of strawberry in, vanilla ice cream (they had run out of strawberry!) and a few macerated strawberries. Actually they had run out of 3 types of ice cream for the full 4 days of our stay, but yet they remained on the menu. Room cleaning was also a bit haphazard - every day there was something amiss - eg a bin not emptied, towels not folded up, floor not hoovered. We also had to request extra hangers as only 8 were provided for 2 of us on a 4 day stay. Plus points were that all the staff were charming & helpful - but was the chef on holiday?

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and bringing these points to my attention.

The breakfast menus are always available on the buffet island, when we have tour groups in the hotel, it is your choice if you would like to eat from the buffet or have your breakfast freshly cooked for you from the menu. The evening menu is a seasonal one, the hotel does not offer a different choice every day, unless of course you were with a tour group.

The Broad bean Risotto reflects a typical true Italian risotto, the Chef sends his apologies that you were not happy with the dish, Chef would have been delighted to cook another dish for you.
All the desserts are freshly home made, the egg custard tart would be served with sliced strawberries and Kentish ice-cream of your choice.
We do apologise with regard to the ice-cream choices, we had placed an order and awaiting a delivery from our suppliers.

The towels in your room are never folded if they are damp, they would be placed over the towel rail and allowed to dry. True, the standard in our wardrobes are 8 hangers, however, more are available on request. It was a possible oversight with regard to the bin and hoovering, as this is always done every day. It may have been due to new staff, which of course will be addressed asap with more training.

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your comments, I am sure the hotel will improve and be able to offer a better experience for guests in the future.

Christine Cooper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed 6 September 2011

I will keep it brief as it's a long & very complicated story.

I have had the worst experience I have ever had with hotels at the Abbots Barton Hotel. Not only had our room been given to someone else as it was over booked/room damage (the story changed). We booked in April, but stayed on the 3rd September for a friend's wedding reception but they tried to send us to the Holiday Inn Express in town (I would've considered it until I had a sarcastic comment from one of the receptionists).

I wish I had taken that room! They managed to find us a twin we could have instead as we were part of the wedding part, but upon entering the room we found a dog bowl & dirty dog bed (an old dirty duvet) on the floor. We laughed it off at the reception as we were just grateful for a room but came back to the room to find the bedding & floor damp like dew was settling. We just vowed not to stay at a Best Western again instead of complaining as we didn't want to cause a scene & embarrass our newly married friends as it was their venue & decided it was a bad experience.

But today I have found out that I have been charged by the Holiday Inn as a 'No Show' as the Abbots Barton did not cancel the booking & I have also found that they had passed all my personal & credit card details without my consent even though I checked the 'I do not consent to my details being passed to any third parties etc' box when booking online. I am absolutely disgusted & while I hope that this is rare I have to warn people to check their statements if something like this happens to you. I am being refunded by both hotels for the rooms & I would advise people to give this hotel a wide berth. A twin room was £105 (room only) per night & it was never worth that.

The wedding reception was the only reason I rated it 'Poor' as it was a beautiful setting otherwise it would've been 'Terrible'.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 4Shurety
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you incurred during your stay. We received your letter and from this a full investigation will be implemented.The hotel will contact you directly with the outcome.

I can assure you this has never occurred before and we are giving your review our full attention.

Regards

Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed one Saturday night as part of a weekend break. the hotel is set back from the main road behind extensive lawns and greenery. So, even though it is only 5 minutes walk into the centre of Canterbury, the hotel has a quiet country feel to it. The main building is an old Victorian grange-type house, which has been extended to add modern bedrooms. The old building is best seen from the bar ( where isn't?) which is comfortable and quiet. I ate a nice lunch of various smoked fish washed down with a pint of Guiness (or two). The hotel is rightly popular for weddings, and there was one on the day we arrived. Since it was a sunny day the guests were enjoying champagne on the lawns, so it wasn't intrusive. there is a large ground floor annex where the wedding breakfast and evening party was held. Our room was in the other wing so we weren't disturbed, but if you have a room above the wedding venue it could be different. The room itself was everything you'd expect, comfortable and warm but nothing spectacular. We used the hotel as a base to explore Canterbury and to cycle the Crab and Winkle Way to Whitstable. The staff were all pleasant and helpful, the sun shone and we had a great weekend. We ate at the cafe mauresque on the saturday night( see review) so i can't comment on the hotel dinner, but Canterbury has plenty of choice for eating, just a short walk/taxi ride from the hotel, so it seems a waste to stay in the hotel. There are plans to add on-site spa facilities shortly which may warrant a return visit. Currently, the hotel will bus you to a day spa nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the wedding venue
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robertsclubman
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed here with my family as I was visiting Canterbury and local area for 2 days while on break. The hotel, the rooms, the food and the staff was brilliant. The breakfast was a bit downside but, other than that everything was good. The boy at reception was great at check - in with his excellent knowledge about the local area, and he also helped us to book our tickets to Madame Tussauds. During our two night's stay if we need anything, we luckily got through to the same guy everytime. No matter it's related to bar, room service, taxi booking problems with our bill and finally departure. We really enjoyed our stay at Abbots Barton and hope to come back soon.....!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed here one night on our way home to Belgium from Wales.This is a quiet confortable hotel, room is very ok, we liked the a bit oldish style. The parking space was welcome, nice walk to the cathedral after a day in the car.
Breakfast is ok

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Ten minutes walk from Canterbury centre in nice grounds set back from road. Its part of a chain and so standardised as such. Firstly we stayed bed and breakfastr at a reasonable cost. A friendly good clean hotel living up to a three star rating. The service at breakfast was very good and the food reasoable. We ate out at night in many of the nice places in the city so not sure why anyone would eat here. Try the greek place Manilos. Parking was good and free. Perhaps the bar could have a range of local beers. Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with regard to your stay at the Abbots Barton Hotel.
All Best Western hotels are independantly owned and managed, so yes, we are part of a large chain, but each hotel have their own unique charm and personality. We do have to operate under high standards which are set by Best Western, however,this gives the hotel full potential to deliver our own identity.

The Fountain restaurant offers an A la Carte menu with local and seasonal produce, should you choose to dine in during your stay.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit, all the staff aim to offer good customer service.

Reviewed 13 July 2011

Whilst the hotel itself was fine, nothing particularly special but clean and appropriately priced, the restaurant offered possibly the worst food I have ever had. The starter was activitely unpleasant, a wild mushroom parcel turning out to be thick under cooked filo pastry in a dish of warm cream whilst the best that could be said of the main course was that the duck was overcooked and the rest was entirely tasteless (I didn't brave dessert!). As a frequent solo business traveller, I had particuarly chosen that hotel so that I didn't have to venture into town for dinner. Breakfast was also disappointing with under done streaky bacon, orange juice that tasted like it had been diluted with orange squash and no offer of tea, coffee or toast until I had finished and was leaving.

I have never complained about a hotel before but was so disappointed with food, especially at the price (£21 for 2 courses) that I left comments on the feedback form and mentioned the issue when checking out - as of yet (2 weeks later) there has been no acknowledgement.

Another note - whilst the rooms are absolutely fine, the doors to bedrooms and in corridors are on a spring which slams shut and so not great for light sleepers.

All considered, the next time I'm working in Canterbury, I'll be staying elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank emlk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Abbots Barton Hotel.

My apologies for not replying to your comments sooner.I have taken the time to speak to the Chef with regards to your choice from the evening menu during your stay. Chef sends his sincere aplogies, if he had been made aware of any issues that evening, he would have been happy to replace your meal.

Breakfast, we offer two types of bacon, streaky and back, I am sure if you required your streaky bacon to be crisper, again the chef would have obliged.The waiters appear to have missed your coffee and toast order, this is usually taken when they first show you to your table.

The Fountain Restaurant, new summer menu has now been launched, we have received good feedback

I would say your experience of your evening meal would have been an isolated incident, once again please accept my apologies.