“Lovely place”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We only stayed one night and missed breakfast but the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful, and the room was very comfortable, if a little hot. Good location – far enough out of town to have nice leafy grounds but only a ten minute walk in to Canterbury city centre.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay along with your dog. We are a dog friendly hotel and do not have a problem with offering you breakfast in our Garden room.

We hope to see you again.

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the hotel over the August bank holiday with our dog. All the staff were friendly and extremely helpful. It was a great place to go with our dog everyone made us feel so welcome. The food was really good and in the morning the staff set up a special table for us to eat breakfast with our dog.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura B
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you for your review. My staff and I are very pleased to hear you all enjoyed your stay, including your dog.

We do hope we will see you again.

Kind regards

Jerusalem
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I came into Canterbury for the Half Marathon. Thought this hotel looked beautiful from photos. The hotel was lovely actually, the people at reception gracious and helpful. I had requested a special meal pre-race, and the kitchen staff prepared and presented a delicious dinner. The hotel is well within walking distance to the center of town and back to the train station. Overall, if one is looking for a restful getaway, this could be your place. There is no pool, but there is free WiFi, TV, a lovely library to sit and borrow a book or magazine and the grounds are what could have been a set from 'Masterpiece Theatre'.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank bandaidslsJerusalem
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. My staff and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay, we do try our very best to go that extra mile for our guests and their requests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My brothers and I booked 5 single rooms for a cycling trip at August Bank Holiday. The single rooms were air conditioned, had a good amount of space that often is not found in single rooms and they had good bathrooms. The hotel is a little distance from the road and is quiet. Breakfasts were good. Service was friendly and efficient. Not a luxury hotel but a very good middle-priced hotel within an easy walk of the town centre. I recommend it without any reservations.

Room Tip: The hotel has eight very good single rooms, great for solo or business travel. The air conditioning...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Many thanks for your review, glad your stay was an enjoyable one.

We have many cyclists stay at the hotel, it is an ideal location not being too far from the city and a quiet place to rest your head at night.

I am pleased my staff looked after you and welcomed you with their warm and friendly personalities.

We do hope you will return and visit the hotel again.

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband & I spent 3 nights at the hotel over the August bank holiday. We found our stay to be an exceptionally enjoyable one. Yes, we could see what other people had complained about i.e the paper thin walls, the décor and the view from our room, room 324 wasn't the best we could have had but did all this deter from our stay..Not a jot!! Staff were exceptionally attentive and friendly, the room was spotless and comfortable. The whirlpool bath was brilliant. Would recommend this hotel time after time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

My team and I are very pleased you stayed at the Abbots Barton, I will pass your comments to them.

Your bedroom was one of our superior rooms and so glad you enjoyed the Jacuzzi, an added luxury in some of our bedrooms.

We would love to see you again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

4 of us stayed August Bank Holiday weekend in 4 single rooms. The rooms were very good - full facilities including aircon, free wifi and large tvs with all channels and radio stations. The staff were really friendly and efficient, including, without hesitation, storing our 4 bikes. There were various events on when we were there including an all day wedding celebration, but it didn't interfere with the good service, and there are plenty of places to sit around the hotel so we didn't feel at all crowded. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening (dining room actually isn't all that enticing) but it is a short walk into town. All together a great place, in a good location, well run with excellent staff.

Thank you for your review.

It was busy Bank Holiday weekend, I will pass your comments to my team, who were only too delighted to look after you and your bikes.

The restaurant was not too busy on Saturday as most of the guests were attending the wedding, however, the city has many different restaurants to sample and I am sure you enjoyed yourselves.

Our menu is seasonal and we offer local produce, perhaps next time we could tempt you to try our dishes.

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel when I was on a coach trip holiday. The staff were mostly pleasant. There were a few Students in the Dining Room who looked a bit sullen at times but I think this was because they were really concentrating on what they were doing. They were always polite and efficient. One person in particular who stood out from the rest was Alexandria (in the Dining Room). I always have prroidge in a morning and I think I was the only one in the hotel at the time I was there who did. She always remembered and ordered it when she saw me coming into the Dining Room.

The Hotel was fine although very basic. There were plastic glasses in the bathroom and no toiletries, but apart from this it was fine.

I did have a problem with the internal phone which would not let me ring my friend who was in another part of the hotel (we usually always have rooms near to one another) and this was only put right on our last day.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor at the rear of the building and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your review.

My team and I are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. The young waiting staff are very serious at times,you are correct in saying they are concentrating, it is true. Some of them are in training, so they are passionate in making sure they deliver the correct service and sometimes forget to smile. : ) We do have a big smiley face on the back of the restaurant door, I think I may have to make it bigger and more colourful to catch their eye.

Alexandra has left the hotel now as she graduated form University and went home to Romania, but thank you for your comments.

There are toiletries in all rooms, these are part of our Best Western standards along with the plastic cups in the bathroom.

I am sorry your phone was not fixed until the last evening, I do hope this did not cause you too much inconvenience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.