“Would return in an instant!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abbots Barton Hotel

Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
London, United Kingdom
“Would return in an instant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We planned a weekend trip to Canterbury for the Christmas markets and chose The Abbots Barton hotel. We were so pleased we did - the room was amazing - so spacious and the jacuzzi bath - what a treat! The hotel is olde worlde and the staff so very friendly and accommodating. We found the hotel to be excellently located and close to the city centre and walked into town (which took no more than 10 minutes) to do some shopping. We went out for dinner and on our return sat in the bar area which was very pleasant and a lovely young man welcomed us in.
In the morning after a very comfortable sleep we made our way down to breakfast where we were greeted by Pietro who has to have special mention. What a wonderful host! We had the full english breakfast and it was obvious it was all sourced locally and no pre packaged rubbish! The dining room has a lovely ambience and the entire hotel has a welcoming and homely feel.
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, it has it all. We will be most definitely be returning again when we next visit Canterbury.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire B
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review.

My team and I are very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments to Pietro, who is a very valued member of the hotel team, I am sure he will be thrilled to know you were happy with his excellent customer service.

We all look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future for some more shopping. perhaps the "sales".

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed for two nights over last week end using Best Western points. Staff really friendly and helpful. Had two excellent bar lunches. Location is very good for visiting Canterbury, only a short walk into the old town. Hotel has a large garden facing the main road but asked for a quiet room facing over gardens and houses at the back. The executive room was very comfortable but unfortunately the walls are very thin and we could hear everything the people were saying next door.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna C
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review.

The hotel is in an ideal location for the city, glad you enjoyed your stay.

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This place has everything but no staff tending the bar. In our short time there, we noticed 2 or 3 couples walk away and into town to get a drink. We had one drink when we asked reception, and guess what...we were charged the grand total of £15.00p for 2 glasses of port for which we had to chase around to get served! Come on guys this is not acceptable! No wonder you have no customers in your bar! The amenities are all there but no staff! Other than that this is a nice place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank markangie
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased your stay was a pleasant one.

We do have a notice on the bar to come to reception if there is a no-one to serve at the bar, I do hope this did not inconvenience you. We do try our best to ensure staff are present at all times, sometimes this is not possible.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Essex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just stayed for weekend break with friends. Upgraded to executive room, which was nice, but would not have wanted to stay in standard room if this is an upgraded room.
Staff were really lovely, especially in restaurant. Both at breakfast and dinner and could not do enough for you.
Had dinner bed and breakfast rate which was good value and food was of a very good standard. Major downside was noise from other rooms. We were on 3rd floor, so noise was coming from adjoining rooms. Every sound was heard through the walls, people walking, talking, extractor fans in bathrooms. Not sure if same was a problem on lower floors as well, but presumably they would also have noise from above as well.
There Are plans for a major extension, so hopefully these rooms will be better soundproofed.
Hotel was an easy walk from town centre for day trips into city, but glad we chose to eat in hotel so did not have to go back in evening.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sunnyclimes2016
Thank you for your review on your stay.

I have passed your comments to my staff, who were pleased you enjoyed your stay.

The hotel is only a short walk form the city centre, but we are very pleased you chose to dine at the hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again, should you return to Canterbury.

Greater London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

1) Location - it's outside the main city walls and quite a long way up the New Dover Road on the way to... err.. Dover! Seriously, I arrived at Canterbury West train station on the fast train from London and it was the other side of town just to the bus station. You also need to walk through dark subways with homeless people on the way so really not good. I tried buses and taxis as well as walking but, in the end I just accepted it was a long way out.
2) Hotel - old country house with a newer extension. I was given my room which was TINY and furnished like a Cath Kidston shop... There was also NO wifi which, being as I was on business, meant I had to change room. I ended up in a marginally bigger room but there were cobwebs on the ceiling and bathroom fittings falling off the wall. In the morning I realised the view was of the delivery area with a big truck and ventilation pipes... Not nice.
3) Noise - it's old and has creaky floors. That's okay until you realise that the walls are also paper thin so I could hear people to the side of me and endless creaking above me - I nearly called reception to ask if they could stop moving for a few minutes as the noise was driving me mad. In the end I thumped the ceiling and went to bed - thankfully work had exhausted me so I slept right through to my alarm call and woke up not to the tune of birdsong but to the ongoing creaking of floors; not sure if they had been pacing all night but it continued for two days so I suspect it may have been the floors from multiple rooms as no one person could make that much noise!
4) Breakfast - okay, it's the normal selection and looks better than most but it's a very limited choice of pastries, cereal, fruit and cooked English fry-up... I filled a plate with sausage, bacon, egg, hash browns and mushrooms but it was SO salty I couldn't eat more than half of any item and on my second morning I just grabbed a slice of bread and a sausage and ate it whilst trudging down the gravel drive looking for a taxi.
I would NOT stay here again... Not because they deliberately did anything wrong but because it should just be much better. It might appeal to tourists looking for a quaint English experience but it's not authentic and is not in Canterbury Centre so is useless for business trips. I guess if you have a car it might be better as apparently the parking in Canterbury is tough and you can park here. All in all, I was very pleased to leave - I may have high standards but this fell a long way short.

Room Tip: The hotel has huge lawns at the front so try to get a room there as both rooms I was shown were at t...