“Should be a 4 star hotel”

Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
London, England, United Kingdom
“Should be a 4 star hotel”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Arrived on Tuesday afternoon to a warm and welcoming receptionist. Our room on the first floor was Very, Very, Tidy and clean. All the facilities you would expect and 2 comfortable arm chairs. The Bathroom was clean and the shower easy to use. The Food in the restaurant was excellent and at a very good price along with a good wine list. After a good evening meal we had drinks in an excellent Bar with quiet areas for those who just wanted to chill out. The bed was very comfy.
Breakfast was superb with an excellent menu. The staff were very helpful and attentive.

Very handy location for the centre of the city. An easy walk.

Room Tip: From what we saw all rooms looked good. Our room on the first floor was pretty soundproof.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. My team and I are very pleased you enjoyed your experince at the Abbots Barton and we do look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Warm and friendly hotel. Staff demonstrated super customer service. They made us (including our 1 year old) feel very welcome. Beds were comfy and the shower was very powerful. Breakfast was lovely too. I wouldn't think twice about staying here again.

• Stayed February 2014
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to hear you and your little one had a lovely stay.

We look forward to welcomimg you back very soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The staff were friendly & nothing was too much trouble. Room & bathroom were spotless & comfortable. Nice selection of refreshments in the room. Breakfast well set out with a wide selection of continental & full English breakfasts which was one of the best we have had in any hotel. Also only 15 mins.walk to the town centre. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. I have passed your comments to my team who are all pleased you had an enjoyable experience at the hotel.

We have a new breakfast menu going live tomorrow, so I do hope you will be able to come back soon to sample the goodies.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our son chose this hotel for us, and paid for our accommodation using an Amazon voucher, which made it excellent value for money - although I wouldn't necessarily say the same thing, had we paid the full price. However, the room (we paid a little more to upgrade to an executive double) was very clean, comfortable, and well-appointed. The full English buffet breakfast was amongst the best I've ever had - I travel half a dozen times a year for work - and our dinner in the restaurant was superb AND very good value. The staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful, and I can fully understand why (I'm told) that International cricket teams (West Indies, Australia etc) stay here when playing Kent in their warm-up games: I doubt that there's a better hotel in Canterbury...

Room Tip: Executive doubles have huge beds, and our bath filled very quickly, and had a whirlpool action. Well...
1 Thank Javed M
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, my team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay in an executive room.

It was nice to see that you dined in the Fountain restaurant and sampled our seasonal menu, finished off in the morning with a good hearty English breakfast.

We do look forward to seeing you again when you return to the beautiful city of Canterbury.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed here with our puppy for two nights and couldn't be happier with the service we received. The staff were so accommodating with our puppy; leaving out a dog bowl and blanket for him in the room, as well as setting us up a special table just outside the dining room (in which dogs aren't allowed) so we could take him down to breakfast. We had a wedding to attend on one of the evenings and had to leave our puppy in his crate for a couple of hours. Unfortunately a couple of guests complained, because he barked a little - but the hotel telephoned us and very politely asked us to come back. The staff didn't make a fuss and were very understanding, which we really appreciated. Generally, the service was of a high quality and the room very comfortable. The bed wasn't the best I've ever slept on, but breakfast was good and for the price, we were totally satisfied with our stay. Room was a good size, with plenty of storage space and the staff we encountered were so friendly. Location is handy, too - 10 minutes' walk from the centre of Canterbury and 4 - 5 minutes' walk from a Tesco Express. Would highly recommend to any dog owners hoping to stay in the area!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review with regard to your recent stay at the hotel.

My team and I are very pleased that both of you, plus puppy, enjoyed your stay.We do strive to deliver excellent customer service to all our guests whether they have two legs or four.

We would love to see you all again, dogs are always welcome at the Abbots Barton.

I have passed your comments to my team, who all say "hi" to puppy.

Best regards

st marys bay
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The room was spotless and very comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. Came down from the room in the morning for breakfast and was presented with a stunning continental breakfast but I went for the cooked breakfast which was amongst the finest I have ever had. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a delightful review.

My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel,especially your breakfast. We have a new one due to be launched soon, so perhaps on your return visit you will be able to let the hotel know if it hits the spot again!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best regards

Christine Cooper
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Booked this for one night as visiting friends. Not bad location, walkable to town. Unfortunately the speaker system did not work in the bar area, the pillows were rock hard, the walls were so thin was kept awake by people snoring next door and no milk provided for morning coffee in room. For that price and no breakfast unfortunately I would not consider staying here again. Contacted manager after stay and was told I should have contacted the front desk during my stay, although I am not sure how that would have helped with the paper thin walls?

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, with regard to your stay. I do feel I addressed all of your comments on my reply email to you.

We do not have a problem with any guests contacting reception, as this enables us to do our utmost to correct the issues you may have, even during the night there is always a member of staff on duty.

Prices do vary for accommodation, so you may have booked a room only rate. If you wish to take breakfast, booking a BB rate always gives added value, along with Dinner, bed & breakfast if required.

We do hope you will consider staying at the hotel once again, in order to receive a much improved experience.

Christine Cooper