“Most uncomfortable pillows ever”

Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Dundee
“Most uncomfortable pillows ever”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

The staff are exceptionally helpful and polite. A real asset to this business. The building is beautiful and we enjoyed the country style decor. The free parking is a bonus (parking comes at a premium in Canterbury) and the distance to town is only a short walk. I really want to give this hotel 5 stars, but I can't because I had the most uncomfortable sleep ever.

The pillows are the worst I have ever experienced. They were solid, I might as well have slept with my head on my samsonite suitcase.

Also, I thought the breakfast was strange. It was tasty (but extremely oily) However, the food wasn't the issue really. We were seated and asked for coffee/tea/toast and then offered the menu (continental buffet was in view) so we chose the full English and were asked how we'd like our eggs and then surprisingly pointed to the buffet (which on closer inspection had food warmers with the fry up ingredients within). We thought this was weird to be offered a menu... When everything was available on the buffet anyway. The whole thing was a bit uncomfortable, there were too many staff hanging around, all eager to grab your plate. It wasn't to our taste, we like to be left in peace.

Oh and finally the water pressure was very weak in our room. We had to turn the tap to the very end to get any water. The taps on the bath/shower were therefore difficult to regulate the right temperature.

All in all, I don't think I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XxMr_and_Mrs_Hxx
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you for your review and I will pass your comments to my team, they strive to deliver a good customer experience and it is nice to have feedback from our guests.

My apologies about your pillows, we have in fact just ordered some news ones. I have reported your water issue to my maintenance manager, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

As for breakfast, we have two types: buffet and cooked to order. When the hotel is busy, we offer buffet style breakfast for continental and full English. If a guest woud prefer to order a breakfast on these mornings, we are happy to oblige. On a less busy morning,we ask our guests to order from the menu. I am sorry if this was confusing, I will ensure my staff inform guests the correct options.
We do have trainee waiters at the hotel, these could have been the staff members you mentioned.

We hope you will give the hotel a chance to deliver an improved experience should you stay in the future.

Regards

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Stubbington
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is very well situated for access to town centre and the Cathedral, it is only about a 15 min walk. The tea shop opposite the main entrance to the cathedral gives a 10% discount when you show them your entrance ticket. Had dinner in hotel first night, food was good but overpriced in my opinion, breakfast was very good and staff efficient and friendly.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thom911
Thank you for your review, my team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This hotel is comfortable in a great location,and scenic grounds only a short walk into the city,its quiet and the rooms are comfortable if a little dated but not unpleasant with all facilities ,ideal for someone who is not looking for modern chic ,its more country homes rather than Elle magazine.
The staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We were on the front.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Thank you for your review.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was ideally situated for the city centre.

Although on a main road into Canterbury, the hotel sits back in lovely grounds and all rooms are very quiet, back and front of the hotel.

My team and I hope you return to stay with us, should you visit Canterbry at any time.

Kent
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Abbots Barton is set in lovely grounds and ideally situated for Canterbury City Centre(10-15 minute walk). We stayed for 1 night and found the staff to very pleasant and helpful.
As we had previous arrangements we didn't you the restaurant or bar.
Breakfast the following morning was a buffet style and very nice again all staff were very helpful.
Our rom was very clean and comfortable and all the expected facilities, tea/coffee, flat screen tv, trouser press, heating/air con. The only negative was the you could hear next door's conversations
and every switch they used.
Although the hotel was being developed it didn't interfere with our stay in anyway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you found the hotel accommodating for it's location and my staff are also delighted you enjoyed your stay.

We do hope to see you again.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

A lovely clean well equipped hotel. I stay in Best Westerns a lot for business and I think they maintain a pretty high standard generally, but even within that framework this is one of the better ones. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially at breakfast when I asked for some specials. It's an easy walk into town too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.

My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

UK
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Abbots Barton for two nights at the end of February. The hotel is well situated, about 15 minutes' walk from Canterbury town centre, but is on an extremely busy road. We requested, and were given, a quiet room near the back and didn't hear any traffic noise. Rooms at the front, although set back from the road, might have been noisier. Plentiful free parking was available.

The hotel is smart and clean, and you never had to walk more than a few steps to the next of the many chairs positioned all over the hotel. My main criticism would be aimed at some of the staff. Most of them were foreign and young, and some of them could have been friendlier. Reception was a particular problem, bad as this is the first and last impression you get of a hotel. Whilst checking in, the phone rang constantly while the lone receptionist checked us in, so that could have been someone trying to make a booking. Checking out, again a lone staff member tried to cope with the queue of guests until a relief was summoned. Sitting in the bar on our first evening, the barmaid deserted her post and put a notice on the bar asking customers to go to Reception for service. There were two members of staff sitting at the Reception desk, but none in the bar - strange.

Our room was of a good size, smartly decorated and very clean. There was a trouser press, hairdryer, large LCD TV, tissues and toiletries, and two easy chairs as well as a desk and chair. There was ample hanging and drawer space although I would have been grateful for more than the eight wardrobe hangers, which were not enough even for a short stay in the Winter. I could have asked for more, but they should be provided in the first place, and we coped. The bathroom was again smartly done out, but we hated the sliding door, which didn't fit exactly and gave us little privacy. Also, the soundproofing between rooms is not great - we could hear toilets flushing in other rooms - and the heavy room and fire doors are very noisy.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel, as we like to go out in the evenings, and this was OK. There's a choice between the buffet or the menu, and as we were usually still full from the evening before we just selected a few bits from the buffet. As with all buffets, the quality of some of the food varied, with hard fried eggs and bacon that was getting leathery. I don't know why hotels just don't supply a menu breakfast and cut out the buffet. There were also fruit juices and both fresh and tinned fruit available, along with cakes and pastries. I was impressed with the breakfast room staff, particularly the older guy (sorry, I didn't get his name) - they were all very attentive.

I have an issue with the bar in this hotel, in addition to the criticism of the barmaid, above. The bar is in keeping with the historical setting in the remainder of the hotel, and could be much more attractive to guests. On our first evening I asked why the very pleasant background music playing in other parts of the hotel could not be heard in the bar. Apparently the speakers were broken. This gave the rather hushed situation in the bar a rather morgue-like atmosphere. Also, the bar prices are excessive. I don't mind paying £4 for a pint of Kronenburg, but £7.90 for a large glass of a mediocre Pinot Grigio for my wife was very expensive, considering they couldn't offer her first and second choices. On the second evening, we stopped at the Tesco Express (about five minutes' walk from the hotel and open until 11 o'clock) and bought our own favourite booze and finished the evening in our room listening to some pleasant music. When will hotel managers realise they would sell a lot more drinks if they priced them reasonably and give their guests a nice environment in which to enjoy them?

As stated above, we rarely eat dinner in the hotel, preferring to try local restaurants. On the first evening we tried the Cafe de China, five minutes from the hotel towards the city. They offer an 'all you can eat' menu priced at £15.50 on the evening we were there, and you really can eat all you want, without any catches, and food was pretty good. On the second evening we ate at Pinocchois in Castle Street, an Italian restaurant. It's set away from the High Street and takes a little bit of finding but it's well worth the walk (about 20 minutes from the hotel) for the outstanding food and service.

Regarding the Abbots Barton - would we stay there again? I wouldn't having a problem going back, but there are other possibilities I would look at before booking again. We had an Amazon special rate which made it reasonably value for money, but at full price I may look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back if you don't like traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will of course investigate the points you have raised about my staff, we do strive to improve our guests experience wherever we can so honest feedback is always appreciated and we will endeavour to make the necessary changes to improve if you decide to stay with us again upon your return to Canterbury.

I take on-board your comments about the wine and will certainly take this into account with our upcoming wine list to see if we can introduce a more affordable Pinot Grigio which can also be served by the glass. We have over a dozen wines available by the glass with prices ranging between £4.50 and £7.90. Unfortunately the Fantinel Pinot Grigio Grave del Friuli which you chose is at the top end of this scale however with a £22 a bottle price tag, a large glass being one third of a bottle is relative to the price this wine would sell for at most venues.

Thank you for your kind comments about Pietro whom you met at breakfast, I will make sure these get passed on to him and his team personally.

Regards

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The location of Abbots Barten is perfect, not difficult to find as its near the city centre and yet away from the hustle & bustle, you feel as if you are in the countryside with its vast green lawn.
However, the reception area is small, no big smile welcome and there is only one (female) staff. On arrival, she was on the phone, it would be nice if she indicates to acknowledge our presence, so there was quite a wait to be seen to.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Thank you for your review.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and the hotel was the right location for you being so close to the city, but still peaceful.

Unfortunatley at times, there is only one receptionist on duty and she has to be multi tasking. I will mention your comment, as I do encourage all my team to smile and acknowledge guests even though on the telephone.

We do hope to see you again.

Best regards