“Lovely hotel”

Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel is lovely, spotlessly clean with very friendly and welcoming staff. Breakfast was excellent with a great selection of food on offer. My only gripe was the noise, this is a noisy hotel most probably due to the age of parts of the building but like another traveller we could hear pretty much everything going on in the adjoining room (including their alarm which was clear enough that I could identify it as an iPhone alarm quite early on both mornings!) There was also alot of heavy duty noise coming from what sounded like large trucks from 6am on the Saturday morning which woke both me and my husband who is normally a heavy sleeper which was a real shame. Location wise the hotel is great, our 2 year old had no problem walking to the town and back from the hotel. Overall we had a nice stay and would consider staying again if we were in the area but just in a different part of the hotel in the hope that it was quieter!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SusanG_8
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for your review.

I have taken note of your comments with regard to noise from the next room. As I have mentioned in my reply to the previous guest's review, this is something that is being addressed.

As for the delivery truck on a Saturday morning, it appears there is a new driver for the dairy and he has not been made aware of delivery times. i will of course contact the supplier to ensure that they are either very quiet or come a little later at weekends. My aoplogies for the disturbance.

My team and I hope to see you again and pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is a lovely building exceptionally clean.
The beds and pillows were very uncomfortable and gave us both a sleepless night made worse by the man in the adjacent room snoring all night as the walls are very thin!!
The best part was the resturant, the food was excellent and staff are attentive and very efficient serving in the evening and at breakfast we could not fault the service or quality of the food.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and I have taken on board your comments with regard to the pillows, bed and the nosiy snoring guest next door. This is something we are currently addressing when we refurbish the bedrooms.

I am pleased you enjoyed your food and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We can't praise this hotel enough. Nothing was too much trouble, everyone was cheerful and clearly enjoyed their work (which means of course that it is very well managed!). The restaurant staff were fantastic with my diet problems and there was no point in going anywhere else to eat as the food was superb. It is very convenient for an easy stroll into the city and also easy to drive there. We will certainly return any time we are anywhere near Canterbury. Thank you all for a wonderful stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review.

My team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

I have passed you wonderful comments to my staff and they say thank you with a big : )

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The staff were of very smart appearance, welcoming, quietly friendly and very willing to help - happy to.
The decor, fittings and furniture were top-drawer.
Room service was outstanding. Food excellent. The head waiter at breakfast was a gem, reminiscent of an Orient Express trip we once did.
We had our dog with us and were made to feel perfectly comfortable about that.
Parking was good
First, quick, visit to Canterbury and we shall return for a proper one and certainly stay here. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your delightful review of the the Best Western Abbots Barton hotel, My team and I are so pleased your enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to you returning to us very soon.

Pietro our head breakfast waiter is a gem, very true, he is so proud of his role at the hotel and delivers 110% customer service, as do the rest of the team. I will pass yiour comments to to them all.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

i would like to thank all of the staff at abbots barton for a lovely stay felt welcombed and nothing was to much for them when we go to next show will stay again room was fantastic my wife could not belive our room. And such a choise for breakfast the whole place had such a nice feeling you must go and stay there.

Room Tip: we stayed in the old house corner suite is a must.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, it was our pleasure and we are pleased you had an enjoyable stay in the honeymoon suite which is in the old part of the hotel, it is a beautiful room.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were given a free upgrade to a palatial double room. Everything was superb throughout our two night stay. The service at breakfast andin the hotel generally was faultless. The walk down to the City Centre and cathedral was easy. 100% brilliantI

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your delightful review.

My team and I are very happy to hear you had a fantastc stay,we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had a lovely 2 night stay at Abbots Barton Hotel. It is a delightfully charming 19th century mansion which is well maintained and furnished in elegant period decor. Our good sized double room was tastefully furnished and spotlessly clean, with a good selection of tea and coffee or hot chocolate on the hospitality tray, although I was a little surprised to find no bedside clock. The bathroom was large and seemed fairly new. The shower was a little difficult to adjust. The staff were welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was hearty and tasty, with a plentiful continental buffet as well as hot cooked options.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your review.

My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful Victorian Gothic property. The old part of the hotel is very comforting and welcoming, along with the newer section of which has been built in similar style.

We have clocks in the room they are within the flat screen TV's and replace the bed side clocks which were always breaking and in fact look so much better.

It is nice to know you enjoyed our new breakfast menu, it is a tasty one and offers a large variety of breakfast items.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards