“So noisy!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
Alford, United Kingdom
“So noisy!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Having driven for 5 hours on Friday and having to drive another 5 hours on the Saturday and paying £250 for a room for myself and my wife I thought I would get a good nights sleep, however, someone at the hotel had booked a 'Prom' for the Friday night, so we were kept awake by thumping music and teenagers yelling chanting and swearing for some considerable time. Why weren't we told in advance it would be noisy, we would have gone elsewhere. We will next time we are in Canterbury , we are there every 5 or 6 weeks. We stayed friday13th. The staff as ever were excellent.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies from reception for not informing you of an event being held at the hotel last Friday.Our normal booking procedure is to inform the guest at the time of making the booking or if booked on line, then at check in, so you can then decide if you wish to book elsewhere.

Most weekends in the summer season the hotel will hold events, weddings etc, however, the function room is in a different part of the hotel, away from the bedrooms. I would say the noise of the teenagers leaving at midnight from their end of term party, was what disturbed you.

My team and I do hope that you will return to visit us again, to enable the hotel to give you a superior experience. I will ensure that reception inform all of our guests of any weekend events being held at the hotel.

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

It is a lovely hotel with clean rooms and just a short walk from the city (about 5 mins). And the city is quaint with enough to see. And there's a supermareket about 5.mins drive away. The food is nice, there is air-con in the room which you can leave on overnight as it's not noisy and generally it's a very pleasant place to stay.

The reason for the poor was down to the service, I booked an executive room, upon arrival I had been told that for whatever reason I had been moved to a standard room without any explanation. I protested as politely as I could under the circumstances and was then told that I could be put back in an executive room (that I had orriginally booked) as there was guests that had been given a free upgrade (they booked a standard, but as a pleasantry was given my executive room), so they could replace my booking with the executive room I had orriginally booked. (Nice).

Room service on the first night, if you like a plate full of meat, order the ribs. Wow, I wish that came with a warning it was nice but that would have done me two meals it was that big and I'm no skimp on food... Unfortunately, this arrived covered in tomatoe sauce and cold as well, which was a dissapointment.

My final major grip was day two room service, I ordered stake, which I asked if they could replace the chips with vegetables, not a problem apparently,

how would you like that madam,
rare please,
would you like any sauce,
no thanks.

I got a call 10 mins later saying I had to order sauce (bare in mind this is another £2.50)

fine ok.

When it arrived 50 mins after ordering, it came with veg and sauce and chips and an extra portion of chips.

What's this I asked, nothing to do with us. So I called reception, who challenged what I ordered with conviction (I presume after the whole checking in experience, perhaps they just think I enjoy complaining). She then offered to come and collect the extra chips from me, which I queried

"are you planning on reselling them. I just want to eat my dinner in peace".

She advised she would look into it. 10 mins later whilst eating my dinner, she called back to advise they had taken off the extra chips. I agreed out of exhaustion in trying to explain, I never wanted chips in the first place!!!

These are the major gripes as unfortunately, there were more, but I think I've written enough for now.

I'm eating in the restaurant tonight in hope that it's better. They have a lovely breakfast in the morning and two days out of three they have a chap Peitre I think his name is and he makes an excellent service for breakfast.

Would I bring my Tiger here? If the service was better. Will I come again, only as we have a business account and will be staying in the area more. I really hope this was a one-off jx

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and the points you have raised. I believe you were the lady I met this morning in recepetion and dealt with the issues you addressed here on Trip Advisor. I assured you this was not our normal standard and I would be looking into the room change as this is not acceptable.

The food as you mentioned was very good, however,there seemed to be a misunderstanding with the order of which we rectified at check out this morning.

My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

A very pleasant stay, quiet, comfortable room and a good breakfast.

Within easy walking distance of my client, and most parts of the city come to that. Only a short taxi ride from Canterbury West railway station.

Plus there's a Giant Redwood in the grounds (my favourite tree)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for your review.

My team and I are pleased you had a pleasant stay, nice to hear that you enjoyed the gardens with our beautiful trees, it is a quiet retreat away form the city but within walking distance of shops, trains and the motorways.

We do hope we will see you again.

Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Good hotel in a great location just a short walk for the city centre.Rooms were clean and of a decent size. The restaurant served good food, staff were very helpful.
We will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for ypur review.

My team and I are pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay and we do hope to see you again.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

The good: Nice food, nice old front, helpful staff, nice public spaces
The bad: Narrow corridoors, with awkward angles, steps and fire doors making access with a push chair to our family room very difficult. The 'family room' was tiny (little floor space to stand). Moved to a room off the wide main corridoor to get push chair access did not help:The room was even smaller with no room to stand at all once to cots were unfolded. Room fixtures and fittings were pretty shabby too.
The back of the new wing has been a wreck/ demolition site for many years: Careful not to get room overlooking that: Unlucky for us!
Result: Not going there again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately since it relates to a stay dated about a year ago, in July 2013, I’m struggling a bit to find any details for it. It’s disappointing that you did not make us aware of your grievances whilst you were with us, had we been given the opportunity we would have been more than happy to try a rectify the issues you experienced. I’m also unable to work out which room you stayed in but I am at a loss with regards to your comments about our “shabby fixtures and fittings”. It’s probably the first time anybody has made this comment so I will put it down to personal opinion.

We don’t advertise as having any pushchair accessible rooms, unfortunately the hotel is a Gothic building that was built over 100 years ago and some corridors in the original part of the building are smaller than the new wing which was added later on. I take on-board your comments about the building work that had come to a standstill at the back of the hotel due to finances as many business experienced during the recession. You’ll be please to know however that a year on from your stay, the building works have been resurrected and the open site has now been properly closed off, improving the views for any rooms situated at the back of the hotel and all this with little to no disruption to our guests. This new development will eventually give us the flexibility to add more rooms to the hotel including some wheelchair accessible ones, which may help with push chairs.

If you would like to give us the opportunity to rectify your experience last year or if you would like to discuss any of your points further, please do not hesitate to email me directly on manager@abbotsbartonhotel.com

Kind regards,

Christine Cooper
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Overnight stay as part of a larger party, the hotel looked after the whole group very well. An organised dinner on Saturday was followed by a very good Full English Breakfast on Sunday. Food was good and the staff were very accommodating. A good selection of reasonably priced wine was also available. Rooms were very comfortable, very clean and despite the near city centre location very quiet. Overall a good hotel which met expectations.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear that your group enjoyed the trip to Canterbury and had a pleasant stay with us.

My team and I do hope that you will return to stay with us in the future.

Best regards

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Overnight stay with breakfast. Quiet, clean, comfortable and well-appointed rooms. We rested very well. Good weather played a role as we were able to sleep with the windows open. Don't know how hot it would be in the summer months as it is an old building and might not have the greatest air conditioning. But, the hotel is charming and advertised as a wedding party location. There was a bus of tourists while we were there, and imagine this increases during the summer. I estimate that it's about a mile to the city center (the farthest hotel I saw), so making "quick stops" to your room during the day is not very convenient. Convenient if you have a car as parking is more of an issue in the city center. We had a nice experience, would recommend to others, especially those with children as it appeared to be family friendly. Next time I go however - I will likely try one of the hotels in the city center. Tip: make sure to arrive early to breakfast as the space is limited and the que can get quite long.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
abbotsgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear you had a pleasant stay and rested well.

The air con units are well maintained, so do work perefectly in the English climate, but it is nice to have fresh air when possible.

We are very lucky to have a large car park, not so for the city hotels and parking in Canterbury is quite difficult at weekends, however, a short stroll of 10 minutes brings you to the top of the high street. We are also an ideal location to sit back and watch the world go by from the hotel gardens while enjoying some refreshments.

We would love to see you again.