“Almost Faultless”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
west chiltington, United Kingdom
“Almost Faultless”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Although only 3 star, this is a first class hotel. Staff are truly excellent, rooms have everything one can need, including A/C, beds gave us the best nights sleep in months; The cuisine is of an exceptional standard, akin to nouveau cuisine in portion size (absolutely sufficient) and superbly flavoured and presented. Breakfast has everything on offer and again of really good quality.Plenty of car parking and only 8 to 10 minutes easy walking to Canterbury Cathedral. Fully recommend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, it was delight to read.

We are very proud of the local produce we work with for our menus, Chef incoporates all of his team when working on new menus for tasting and presentation, along with the waiting staff so they can recommend choices for guests.
Our new Summer menu is due to be launched next week and has some very special dishes on there.

Chef also ensures that breakfast gives you a good start to the day with many choices hot and cold.

My team and I do hope that you would come back to see us soon.

Christine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Manchester
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at Abbots Barton for the second time in 2014 this weekend and were well satisfied. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout and the quality of the room and food represented good value. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a well positioned hotel in Canterbury.

Room Tip: Our room was a standard on the south side of the hotel in the an old part. It was big enough and qu...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, my team and I are very pleased you had an enjoyable stay and we would love to see you again should you return to Canterbury.

Sidcup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel as a friend was getting married in Winter Barns, Canterbury,

My partner and I arrived at the hotel at 12pm and had previously discussed on the phone that we could check in early and that there was a note on the account saying we could check in the best man and pick up his room key, as he was already at the wedding which started at 2pm, We explained the reason for doing this was because by the time the best man came back from the wedding it would very late and it would be likely that he would be rather drunk.

When we asked reception they said we could check him in and take his key but the room could not be entered before 2pm, which was fine as he was already at the wedding. Whilst we was at reception we also booked a cab for 1.30pm to get to the wedding venue.

We went up to our room which was very spacious, light and clean but had to go back to reception and pick up the best mans key which we had forgotten to take, when we went back they told us we couldn't check him in and couldn't have his room key after saying 10 minutes earlier we could.

Whilst we was downstairs we went to the bar to order some food, I ordered the home made sausage roll which was £4.50, after 20 minutes of waiting, it arrived and it was the size of a party sausage roll !! And to add insult to injury it came with 2 huge pots of mayonnaise and ketchup which was bigger than the piece of sausage roll itself!! For £4.50 I was expecting a whole sausage roll not a bite size!! The price is extortionist!!!

I then had a shower and shortly after getting out i realised there was only 1 hand towel and one larger towel in the room, which meant my partner didn't have one, at this point we didn't have time to go back down to reception and ask for another so my partner had to use my damp one.

We went down to reception at 1.20pm and waited for the cab, by 1.40pm it had still not arrived, my partner then went into reception to ask if she had booked the cab for half 1, she called them and told us it was on its way and it wouldn't be long. We waited another 5 minutes and still no sign of the cab, in the end my partners friend had to drive us to the wedding as the wedding started at 2pm and by now it was 1.50pm and we was still at the hotel waiting around which meant if we had waited any longer we would have been extremely late. This was very inconvenient as it now meant we would have to go back to the wedding venue in the morning to pick the car up!!

In the morning we went to breakfast, we was not informed that the breakfast was not included in our 1 night £72.25 stay. We was also not made aware that breakfast would could £13.00! Once again an extortionist price to pay just for a fry up!!!

Overall the hotel was nice, the scenery was nice but it didn't meet the basic minimum requirements that are expected in any hotel.

1 Thank Estelle D
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

I can see by your comments that your bedroom met your requirement needs. I apologise with regards to the confusion with the key cards for your friends room; this is not our usual procedure however I understand this was a special occasion for you and I am pleased we were able to help.

There is a second set of towels in the bedroom, apologies if you were not aware of this.

With regards to the bar snack order, I can only apologise with regards to the quantity and presentation of the dish. I have had a discussion with Chef who has taken onboard your comments. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reception will always order taxis for guests and are in regular contact with them however Canterbury is a very busy city.

At check in the receptionist would have made you aware that your booking was for room only and this was also printed on your registration keycard. We are very proud of our vast range of breakfast items and feel this is competitvely priced with similar hotels in Canterbury.

We are a 3* BEST WESTERN property that offers excellent customer service with quality rooms and amenities at all times.

Regards
Christine Cooper
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night and had a leaving do dinner in the restaurant for one of my work colleagues. Both the food and service was fantastic and the room I stayed in was great, very clean and with a very comfortable bed. We ended up on the patio in until the early hours with drinks overlooking the hotels lawned gardens. A fantastic setting and a hotel I would gladly recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a little bit extra for one of their superior rooms if it's a special occas...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, it sounds as though this was a special evening and you all had a wondeful time.
How nice to be able to sit out under the stars relaxing with your friends while enjoying your favourite tipple in our beautiful gardens, which is only a 10 minute walk from the city centre.

I have passed you comments to my staff who look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not to distant future.

Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had a really nice room, staff were very helpful. Restaurant as a bit limited in choice but reasonable value. Although WiFi was free it did involve signing up to a cloud service and reception was poor.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room in the front corner that was a good size room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

My team and I are very pleased you enjoyed your stay, we would do hope you plan a return visit.

I noted your comment about the difficulty with the WiFi connection in your deluxe bedroom, if you would be so kind as to let me know which room number this was, as I would like to investigate the problem.

My personal email address is: christine.cooper@abbotsbartonhotel.com

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I arrived very late one night. It is a decent hotel, quite comfortable, free wifi, adequate comfortable warm rooms. Plenty of parking.

But what really annoyed me was the menu in the restaurant. A single we-cant-give-a-damn vegetarian choice which is PERFECT if all you like are... aubergines! I asked if the chef might put something simple together for me, no, could any of the other dishes be 'vegetarianised' ? No... where is the nearest restaurant : 3 miles away in the city centre. .. so off I went.

I mean how difficult can it be to put a few Veg options? THE WORLD HAS CHANG ED, TRY TO UNDERSTAND!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that your experience of the hotel was a good one apart from the vegetarian comments.

My apologies that you did not find a suitable choice for your evening meal, we have two main vegetarian dishes on the restaurant menu along with two fish choices, in the bar we have a further three choices.My Chef would have been happy to create a dish for you if you had made that request, where possible.

The waitress that took your intial enquiry when you looked at the menu " do we not have pasta or Lasange on the menu?", responded correctly.

We do take into consideration how the world 's eating patterns are changing and this is why we offer a varied menu for all of our guests.

I do hope you found a suitable place to eat in Canterbury,which is only a 10 minute walk from the hotel, there are some lovely Italian restaurants which reception or my Duty Manager would have been happy to recomend if you had mentioned this to them.

Kind regards

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

From the moment we arrived we received friendliness and professionalism. The reception staff were helpful and went out of their way to make us feel at home. They then told us that our room was not quite ready and invited us to stay in the reception area and we were then given tea and coffee and told to choose a sandwich from the bar menu. Eventually the head room maid came and informed us that the room was ready. We were then offered help with our luggage and because we had a dog were given a ground floor room. Anything we were in need of we were told to just dial 0 or contact reception. We had taken with us a portable cage with the intention of leaving the dog caged during breakfast and or any meals we decided to take in the hotel. But we were given the freedom to have breakfast in the bar and take the dog. The General Manager asked Chef at one point to give us treats for the dog they were duly delivered on a plate. The food was excellent and all menus were varied. Chef was fantastic and it was obvious from the high standard that he took pride in his work. Would I go again to this hotel if I was visiting Canterbury a definite and resounding YES.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are quiet and access is good
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, my team and I are delighted all three of you had a wonderful stay at the hotel. I know Gypsy enjoyed her Chicken Jerky as she ate it all, Chef was only too happy to make these for her, along with offering you the very best of the local produce which we serve in our restaurant and you sampled each evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you come to visit Canterbury or the surrounding areas in the future.

Christine and the team.