“Good location”

Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We came to Canterbury for the cricket and this hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the cricket ground and about the same distance to the walled city.
We had a suite which was fine for one night, especially as the stay was paid for with loyalty points.
Hotel is being upgraded, but this did not inconvenience us as we were on the other side of the building.
All the staff were helpful, pleasant and professional.
The room was clean and there was plenty of parking.

Room Tip: The suite over the reception area was pleasant and quiet during our stay. Not recommended for very...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw with regard to your visit to Canterbury.

I am pleased the location was a perfect choice for both Cricket and the city, plus it is situated in a quiet area with a lovely garden to relax in.

My team and I hope to see you again.

Chistine Cooper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a horrible 1 night stay in this hotel...

• The rooms were dated and had an awful smell.
•There was nowhere to park, we searched for 15 minutes and ended up leaving the car in the middle of the building site that is the outside of the hotel.
•We waited at reception for 10 minutes while 3 members of staff walked past us! I had to venture into the bar to ask to be checked in!
•There was a wedding on, the hotel was noisy and we were kept awake all night.
•The beds were awful, the springs had gone and they sunk in the middle!
•The bed linen was so rough I had to sleep on my t.shirt for comfort, felt very cheap!
•The breakfast was £12.95 each, not included in the room, disgusting! We went to a local cafe for breakfast!
•The air conditioning had an awful smell and the temp fluctuated all night.
•We had booked a double room but got twin beds, with separate linen that had been shoved together.

Overall the stay was truly terrible and to make matters worse when I told the duty manager upon checkout how disappointed I was with our stay, his response was "I will forward your comments on, have a good day" Good customer service really does seem to be a thing of the past! Overpriced and over rated overrated! I've stayed in hotels for £50 a night that have been of far superior quality! Stay somewhere else!!

• Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Clover18
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following your most recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied. The room you were in, 224, is a quiet room located on the 2nd floor, we chose this room for you based on your special request for a quiet room. I have inspected the room today, the décor is very traditional, therefore in keeping with the rest of the hotel and the original Gothic features. My head housekeeper has also inspected the room and could not detect any smells, not sure what type of smell you meant.

We are lucky enough to have a car park with space for many cars which is free of charge on a first come first served basis, many hotels in Canterbury do not have this privilege so this is extremely beneficial to us and all of our guests, plus weekends are very busy during the Summer months in Canterbury. The building site you mentioned is actually our new function room and spa extension which will have another large car park when completed, but parking in this area is fine at the back of the hotel.

Yes,we did have a wedding on the evening you checked in, as we do most Saturdays. The members of staff you were referring to were our bar team and duty managers who were busy serving the wedding guests. I do apologise that the receptionist was not present at the desk when you checked in at 10pm, I do hope that all members of staff acknowledged you at the very least and your wait was not too long.

With regards to the noise levels, as you had specifically asked for a quiet room we placed you away from the wedding party, to enable you to have a peaceful night sleep, the Night Porters do hourly checks and always report any noise on their rounds, he did not report any incidents of excessive noise, so I can only assume this was the sound of other guests walking past your bedroom.

Our linen comes from a local company who supply most Kent hotels with their laundry of which is good quality. I have had no reports of poor quality linen, but I will certainly make a note of your comment and mention this to the supplier.

The mattresses have been tested on the beds in your room by our Housekeeping Manager, these were brand new mattresses replaced just months before. I apologise if these were not to your personal requirement.

As you made your booking on Booking.com, unfortunately this does not include breakfast, this is shown on the webpage where you made the booking. If a booking does not state breakfast then it is in fact not included, I do apologise if you missed this. The price of £12.95 which does include a full English, plus Continental breakfast, we feel it is excellent value for money and very competitively priced with our competitors in the area. We pride ourselves on sourcing only the best local produce and the vast range of breakfast items we have available. I have investigated your booking as you mentioned you booked a double room, this is incorrect, you actually booked a twin bedded room so this was what the hotel provided for you.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. If you would like to discuss this further with me then please feel free to contact me directly on the following email:
christine.cooper@abbotsbartonhotel.com

Regards,

Christine Cooper

Reviewed 8 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went to a wedding here. The chairs were covered in a fabric with bows at the back. Four of these chairs collapsed due to old age. One guest was badly injured although first aid was promptly offered by the young staff. I believe this hotel is now a First Weston

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank patfranklin60
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

It is nice to hear you enjoyed the wedding and indeed it was a lovely day.

We work with a company that dress the function rooms chairs which do make a vast impact on the room, it was very pretty. Unfortunately, a couple of chairs lost their legs during the evening, they are checked every time we have a function and we will be giving all the chairs a thorough overhaul once again to ensure all are in working order.

I sopke to the Bride and Groom, who assure me all was fine and they had a wonderful wedding day.

The hotel is a member of BEST WESTERN, but as they all are, the hotel is privately owned and managed. I do hope you look to stay with the brand in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had to spend a night in Canterbury on personal business and found this hotel only 200 yards from where I needed to be.
On arrival I was told that I was being upgraded to a superior room - and it was!
Huge, very comfortable bed, well furnished, jacizzu-style bath tub, windows (which opened properly) overlooking the garden and terrace. Sadly, did not have time to enjoy the room more but that alone was worth it.

Dinner in the hotel restaurant was quite good - with an extensive but keenly priced wine list. The waitress, Aura, was especially attentive and friendly and the chef was well pleased with the glass of wine sent to compliment him on the steak - cooked to perfection.

Sadly, the end of the trip was marred by one of the worst breakfasts I can remember. Sausage tough and tasteless, bacon oozing white slime from the poor curing, overcooked egg.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review.

My team and I are pleased you enjoyed your room, dinner and that all my staff were attentive.

My apologies with regard to breakfast, this is not our normal standard and I will be looking into the items you have mentioned.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My room was spotless and comfortable, will all you can expect from a 3-star hotel in it. The bathroom was impeccable. I would also like to compliment the staff who were all extremely pleasant and helpful. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I had read a review mentioning an extractor fan so I requested a room far from it. It was very quiet...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review.

My staff are pleased you had an enjoyable stay and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 August 2014