“Visiting Canterbury in Ann's House”
Review of Canterbury Lodge

Canterbury Lodge
Ranked #23 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
“Visiting Canterbury in Ann's House”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is my first time i've been in Canterbury and i stayed in Ann's House for one night. The owner of Ann's house is very helpful and friendly. The night in Ann's House was wonderful, thanks for everything.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We were going to see friends outside Canterbury and wanted to base ourselves in Canterbury, as there were 4 of us. Based on the last family's experience, we decided to try Ann's House.
We met the lady Lisa who owns the Guest House, she is bubbly and very helpful. The children liked being so close to the city, and we had our car and went out to see our friends for most of the day time.
The rooms were bigger than I was expecting. The bathrooms were bigger than our bathroom at home and so modern and clean.
The stay was wonderful. The breakfasts were huge. The children even tried scrambled eggs, which they wont eat at home!
We stayed for 2 nights, and we would stay again, the beds are so comfortable, there was no traffic noise, we slept so soundly. What a wonderful find!!

Room Tip: We were given a room facing the back garden and it was so peaceful. The children had a room that fa...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank COW G
England
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We booked to stay at Anns House on London Road between Christmas and New Year. On arriving we were able to park - a bonus as we were expecting to be parking on street. The owners were there, we phoned to say we would be early but planned on parking up and going into Canterbury. So the owner showed us to our rooms (1 double, (got a 4 poster!- beautiful comfortable clean room) and the children got a twin next door to us). We then said we were going to walk into Canterbury, the owner said she was popping out so she walked along with us. We had a wonderfully interesting walk! She went off to do her thing and we went around the Cathedral. Anns House is indeed a short walk to shopping in the centre of Canterbury - what a fantastic location! We had something to eat when we were out and came back about 9pm. Anns House has wi-fi (free) I stayed in a hotel with work the week before Christmas and was charged a fortune! so I was delighted to find out Anns House has free wifi. Our sleep was so comfortable, the rooms are big. The bathrooms are modern, clean and spacious.
Breakfast was around 8am. So we all went downstairs for a huge cooked breakfast. The owner said they use free range eggs and quality butchers sausages and bacon. There was a large choice of cereal and Alpen bars. Breakfast was very good. We checked out after breakfast and the staff and owners could not have been nicer to us. We had a wonderful stay. I think this is a wonderful place to stay, our children are 12 and 10 years old and they loved it too. We had a very relaxing time.

Room Tip: We met a lady called Lisa, and she took us into Canterbury and told us about things that would inter...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank burma26
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

My husband and I booked this B&B 10 days beforehand, as there were too many relatives visiting for us to stay with family just around the corner.

I received provisional confirmation immediately by email. On phoning the day before we arrived to confirm our booking, I had a very confusing conversation. The person who initially answered the phone (later identified as the cleaner) said she would check my booking and I then found myself speaking to someone whom I thought was the same person but who in fact wasn't, knew nothing about my query and did not introduce themself. I explained all over again and got my confirmation but was left feeling like customer service was not a priority.

On arriving, we were surprised to be told that breakfast was served as early as 7.30-8.30am on a Sunday. While were were prepared to accept this as a one-off, we don't consider such an early breakfast time conducive to a relaxing weekend, and we wouldn't expect this to be convenient for most guests, who are presumably staying for leisure.

The room was comfortable and looked like it had recently had new soft furnishings. There was a large flat screen TV. In understand wireless broadband is available, although no access instructions were provided.

My husband had a quick shower (no more than 5 mins) and I then got in the shower about 7.45am, only to find that no water would come out of the shower, and the pump appeared to be protesting loudly. I tried the hot tap in the sink, and found no water there either. So I got washed in the sink, so that we did not miss breakfast. We were staying with this B&B because of concern about whether the bathroom facilities at my relatives' house nearby could cope with 8 people. I was very unhappy and disappointed to be washing using cold water in the sink in a room for which we had paid £80 for the express purpose of avoiding this problem. On checking out, I asked whether there was a problem with the hot water, and was told that there was a switch which must have been turned off. We couldn't see a switch in the room, and if the switch had been turned off, why was there water available for my husband's shower? I was also told that I should have come downstairs to let the staff know about the problem. As I explained, I was in the middle of washing, freezing cold, covered in soap, and concerned about missing breakfast. If this is a problem about hot water capacity and multiple showers running consecutively, I suggest it could be anticipated and resolved based on the timing of breakfast for all guests.

We were also confused about policy on payments. I gave my debit card details when I booked. The email about my booking stated that payment is possible by cheque with guarantee card, debit and credit cards. When we returned to the B&B to sleep about 11pm, we were very surprised to find a notice on the ground floor indicating that due to spiralling bank charges, a £5 surcharge is added for debit and credit cards. We have never encountered surcharges for debit cards for transactions of £80 value. If surcharges are to be added, surely this should be made clear with the booking? To avoid paying a surcharge, I spent 30 minutes walking to a cash machine in the High Street and back after breakfast. When we checked out, and asked for clarification on the surcharging, I was told that there was no time for adding the charge, and this only applied in the summer when people were competing for rooms and prices were lower. This apparently arbitrary policy does not make sense: 1) if the bank charges are so high, why is there no need to surcharge everyone who pays by this method? 2) why would prices be lower in the summer, if demand is higher?

I emailed my concerns to Ann's House immediately after our stay in mid November (the owner was not available when we checked out) and over 3 weeks later, have not received a reply. I cannot recommend that you stay here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth L
Essex/Suffolk borders
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Had a lovely 3 day stay at Annes House as my son was graduating in Canterbury Cathederal. Very nice friendly welcome, spotlessly clean and warm. Very good full english breakfast with all the extras. Excellent. I would recommend and return to this B & B.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We received a friendly welcome. The room was ready for us when we arrived at 10.30am and it was clean and warm. We thought the wardrobe was haunted as the doors kept opening on their own but all was ok when we discovered the knack of closing the doors! The four poster bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was good - plenty to eat and laid out nicely. It took 10 mins to walk into the city and we were able to leave the car in the hotel's car park.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 - light and airy on 1st floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Thanks for a lovely stay. We stayed here as a family and loved it. The family room was very spacious with a four poster bed. Very clean and comfortable. Lisa was so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for her. We chose this hotel for its location and also because we could bring our dog, there is a nice little green less than 100 metres away to walk him. Opposite the green is the Victoria Hotel which serves a delicious carvery and other food. Only downside, option for a cooked breakfast finished at 8.30am (although you could have cereal or toast after 8.30am) , which was too early for us as we like a lie in whilst on holiday and also when hotel full, parking was restricted.

Thanks again for your kindness and hospitality.

Room Tip: Just ask Lisa to recommend the best room, she'll do her best to accommodate you.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family