“keith and Jo hudson Great Hotel”
Review of Canterbury Lodge

Canterbury Lodge
Ranked #20 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Carterton, United Kingdom
“keith and Jo hudson Great Hotel”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Arrived early room was ready. Very clean room with a 4 poster bed and on suite shower.Breakfast was excellent with plenty of variety.The staff are very friendly and could not do enough for you.The hotel is close to city center and is a 10 minute walk away.Great stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in Room 14 for 2 nights 14th and 15th July 2014. Top floor, overlooking beautiful garden at back of hotel. Miss Lisa, who runs the hotel, puts so much loving care into all the small details and she is very welcoming and helpful, and we really appreciated this and enjoyed our stay. Very clean and comfortable. Good quality towels and bathroom toiletries. Delicious breakfast in very pretty dining room. Enjoyed the fresh strawberries and basket of goodies she added to the cereals table. A peaceful, lovely place to return to after our expeditions in the beautiful and interesting town of Canterbury.
Karen and David Polyshuk

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We spend two nights in the family room at Ann's house. The family room is facing a very noisy street and the windows are very old and not well insulated so that it was very difficult to get a good night sleep. We have two small children, 3 and 1, and the owner was very unaccomodating towards the children. We were for example inappropriately asked why our children were not finishing their breakfasts (this question was repeated more than once) and our children were not allowed to walk around but were asked to stay seated (which is quite difficult with a one year old, especially as there was no highchair available where we could have strapped him in). When the little one started to get upset about something (he literally had cried for a couple of minutes) we were reminded that our children should please be quite as other guests would still be sleeping.
All of this for £ 95/ night and we had to supply our own travel cot!! The rooms were outdated and the entire house was covered in a carpet that has seen its best days ages ago.
We would not recommend this Bed and Breakfast !!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniela T
Beaufort, South Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A friend stays here every visit while I usually select a hotel in city center. This trip I was traveling alone and decided to try it. I was very pleasantly surprised. Very friendly host, nice room (scrupulously clean) with very modern bathroom facilities, great breakfast and reasonable cost. It is a pleasant 10 min walk to the West Gate, but that was welcome as the route can partially go through the lovely West Gate gardens. I was apprehensive about exiting the parking area to make a right turn onto busy London Road, but every time folks would quickly stop to let me in even during rush hour. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BobCors
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I spent three nights in a single room there. My room had vintage furniture, it was nice and clean. It was also cleaned every day. The manager was very polite and helpful.
The location is also great - a 10-minute walk from the center, close to some good pubs and a supermarket.
It also helps that you can book it online through Canterbury's tourism website.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked for a double bed room at Ann's over the phone, a day before 27th September and I got it for £80/night. When I arrived there I was given a double bed and a single bed room instead, same price. It usually take me time to fall asleep in other same price hotels but here the best part of it are the beds, especially the sheets and the pillow, they're very comfortable, very soft and it smells clean & fresh.Usually i get either soggy or hard pillows. Its on the roadside but its was fairly quiet. The room & the bathroom was clean, with nice and strong shower though the bathroom floor is squeeky and denty to walk through, and there was a hole on the floor behind the toilet bowl where noise,( though not disturbing) is coming from other rooms or work like coming from the kitchen downstairs. There was an old wardrobe in the room but I have to keep my clothes in my suitcase as it stank of some used clothes like from a drunken person. The breakfast is very satisfactory and the lady who tend to us, who is probably the owner as well is very polite. Although the room I was given was a plus for the probable reason that it was the only room left available when I booked it a day before, the price might still be pricey for an old refurbished bed & breakfast hotel. However I had a looked on the internet for other bed and breakfast similar to it around Canterbury center, they're almost all the same nowadays. Maybe because its much closer to the city center that you can just walk to it in 10 min. It's just a bit too early for their checking out which is 10 AM whereas in other place or in an actual 3-4 star hotel is 11-12noon..Overall, I will still go back there and will still recommend it if you're looking for a reasonable value for you comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Better to call the hotel if there is a number provided to negotiate about the choice of the room and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Luz Marilu M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We wanted a weekend out of London given the heat of the summer. Ann's House is a delightful place and easy to find. We arrived slightly earlier and there was a note on the door with helpful instructions that the owner was out and would return later. I phoned her and asked if it was ok to park up our car and walk into Canterbury, which she said was not a problem. When we got back me met her and she was very friendly and helpful.
We were shown to our room at the top of the stairs. The room was beautifully aired and had a refreshing cool breeze. Our room had everything we needed, the bathroom was modern and very clean.
The proximity to Canterbury was fantastic, it took us only minutes to get to the Cathedral. And I hadn't realised what wonderful shopping there is in Canterbury.
This was a most enjoyable weekend, 2 nights was not enough. The staff were just wonderful always smiling and could not do enough for us.

Room Tip: We were the first room on the right on the landing. It looked over the back garden and was very pri...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple