“GREAT PLACE/LOCATION IN CANTERBURY!”
Review of Pilgrims Hotel

Pilgrims Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I will stay at The Pilgrims Hotel each time I have the opportunity to visit Canterbury. EVERYONE is so friendly and welcoming, and all staff members are more than willing to help you with anything you ask.

Jason is truly an asset to the hotel. With his warm smile and positive attitude, I felt so comfortable asking him questions about where to go, and how to get there. He is such a pleasant person and because of staff like him, I will continue to stay at this hotel.

The Pilgrims Hotel is centrally located, walking distance to EVERYTHING, the food in the restaurant is great, full breakfast served every morning, and the bathrooms always nice and clean. Great price for the location and just overall experience.

Also thank you to Wesley, who was so accomodating and always has a great disposition with the guests. I felt I was amongst family.

A BIG THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU TO THE PILGRIMS HOTEL!

Jessica
Wilmington, DE

Room Tip: I stayed in the Twin En-suite Room (inc. Breakfast) and was the right space for myself and my daught...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jessica N

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Ok it is creaky and old, but it has a great position off the High Street in the centre of the city where all the action is.
It is not really a normal pub, but a restaurant with a bar. The room I had was up 2 flights of stairs looking out over rooftops to Canterbury cathedral lit up at night.
The room was comfortable and there was a new ensuite bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful and the restaurant meals were wholesome and reasonably priced.
All in all, I would love to stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for top floor, the floors creak a bit.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Right in the centre, not far from Westgate and opposite the Marlowe Theatre. Our room (3) at rear was quiet but our son wife and baby had a noisy room at front. The pub nearby stays open quite late. The place is clean and the staff are really helpful. However the reception area needs a makeover. The entrance mat and the narrow stairs carpet are worn out. We had breakfasts and they were good and generous BUT I was amazed when I was told the cook could not make one. My offer to DIY an omelette was declined.
Likewise the room needed some regeneration and although the bathroom had been updated it was narrow and not easy to get into the shower/bath. It would have been better as a wet room with shower only.
Car parking is a few minutes walk away on public car park.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bigbaz
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Pilgrims Hotel, Canterbury, for only one night, but wished it could have been longer. The location is nice and central - a 10 minute easy walk from the rail station and right in the centre of town. We were right across from the Marlowe Theatre, round the corner from the high street with lots of interesting shops and places to eat and a short walk from the cathedral.

Check-in and pre check-in communication was efficient and friendly. Indeed, the service we received from all staff - hotel and restaurant, was both welcoming and professional. I would describe their service as 'above and beyond' in helpfulness. They helped us newbie travellers with working out bus and parking details and directions to pick up our hire car in the next town. They even let us leave our luggage with them for the morning after check-out when we took the bus to Dover to pick up our car.

Our room was comfortably spacious for two people with three bags. It was approached by one flight of stairs, which might be an issue for somebody with mobility issues. I assume there are ground floor rooms, but I didn't specifically check.

The main room had a comfortable bed, a large flatscreen television and fast wifi, which I was able to connect to without any difficulties. The bathroom appeared newly renovated and was quite luxurious with a deep tub, toiletries and big fluffy towels.

We enjoyed both dinner and breakfast at the Pilgrims Hotel. The dinner menu featured a number of choices and was generous in its serving. The breakfast, included in the tariff, was huge and well-cooked. It included fruits, yoghurts, cereals, juice, tea, coffee and a large cooked breakfast of eggs, toast, bacon (cooked perfectly), sausage, hash brown and tomato. I felt the room rate, including this breakfast, was very good value.

We really enjoyed our Canterbury stay and this was thanks, in no small part, to the friendliness of the people we met there. I hope I get to return one day and if so, would not hesitate in re-booking the Pilgrims Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The location is great, convenient but quiet. The staff are helpful and friendly. The breakfasts are excellent and the restaurant excellent for other meals too. Also fast and free wi-fi. Let down by a couple of minor points that could be easily remedied, mainly a crunchy plastic mattress cover and a rickety bed frame.

Room Tip: Don't take a huge suitcase - old staircase very narrow!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is always my first choice in Canterbury. Not many rooms, and some are much better than others, but the location is great, the staff is very friendly and the included breakfast is large. The building is very old and has charm, but that also means that rooms will be a bit small and have older fixtures. Most bathrooms are quite modern. The main draw however is the location - I love to walk out the door and just walk around High Street.

Room Tip: My wife loves the charm of this hotel, but prefers one of the "named" rooms. Costs a sligh...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My wife and I decided to have an overnight escape and picked this hotel. The check in was quick and efficient and we were given room 12 on the top floor. We only had small overnight bags and so the stairs didn't cause us any problems though I suspect it could be tricky with large suitcases. To be fair, this is a beautiful listed building and there is nothing that can be done about the stairs.
The room was spotlessly clean. It was quite small but had a fantastic en suite with a full size bath. There was a flat screen tv with the Sky main channels and a tea and coffee making tray. The bed was large and firm but I found it fine but my wife was a little uncomfortable.
We ate in the hotel in the evening and the food was lovely, reasonable in price and the service was attentive.
Breakfast was wonderful with a wide choice including a full cooked English (with a vege option) and this is included in the price of £79 which is really good value.
The hotel sits opposite the Marlowe and is quiet considering how close it is to the centre of Canterbury. We had an undisturbed night.
Thankyou to all of the staff who made our short break so enjoyable and we will be back though we shall probably upgrade to the Marlowe room with the four poster

Room Tip: Read the reviews as one of the rooms may be noisy
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple