Pilgrims Hotel
Castle House Hotel(Canterbury)
Canterbury Hotel(Canterbury)
The Victoria Hotel(Canterbury)
View Hotel
All reviewsmarlowe theatrehigh streeteggs royalecar parkfour poster bedold buildingper dayfamily roomwould stay here againno liftlots of characterlovely old hotelfull englishbreakfast includedhear everythinglocation is greata couple of minutes walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 November 2008

Sorry to say, but we stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and it was a quite bad experience!
* Terrible smell.
* Dirty bathroom with hairs hanging on the dirty wash-hand basin from the moment we first came in.
* They don't do vacuum-cleaning (at least not during the days we've been there).
* Terrible noise coming from outside all night long till morning.
* Terrible smell of fried eggs is waking you up at 7 a.m.
* parking is at least 500 meters away from the hotel, in a location where you have all chances to sink together with your car in the mud bath...
But must be something positive as well, right?
That is:
* great location
* kind personnel

For us this was the first and last experience with Pilgrims Hotel in Canterbury. And I relly feel very sorry about that as Canterbury is a fantastic city!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mireluske
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Stayed here for 4 nights with my girlfriend and her parents. My opinion of the hotel differs slightly to my girlfriends' parents.

There are no ground floor rooms and no lift in the hotel, however when I booked I asked for an easy access room and was given a room on the first floor, close to the (fairly steep) stairs which was easy enough for my girlfriend's parents to reach. The bathroom in their room was quite small, but adequate for a holiday and the room did get rather warm at night, despite the not so warm summer we were having. Food in the restaurant was nice, with a fairly good choice on the menu, however the special didn't change during our stay. The staff were very kind and helpful to the parents, especially when one of them injured himself twice (not in the hotel). Overall my girlfriends' parents would rate this 3 out of 5.

I have rated the hotel 4 out of 5 as the location was unbeatable - literally one minute from the front door to the pedestrianised High Street. Despite being so close to the centre of the city, there was no noise outside the hotel at night and as there was restricted access to the High Street there was very little passing traffic. Secure private car parking is available a short walk away for a fee of £3 per day. Our room was a good size and nicely decorated, but did get warm, however opening the window at night sorted this. Breakfast was good - I've had better, but have also had much worse.

Would definitely stay here again - the location is worth alot and there is still so much in Canterbury that I didn't get chance to do.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank cobbia
Reviewed 10 August 2008

This hotel is in the centre of Canterbury, ideal for visiting the Cathedral. On the weekends it is very noisy in the streets outside the hotel, so ask for a room at the back.

The staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is very clean and comfortable. Breakfasts were adequate. The one meal I had was fine.

The only real problem was that in two of the rooms, 9 & 10, which are on the top floor, the bathroom is badly designed. There is no hand-held shower on the bath and nothing to help you get out either. There is a shower attachment but you have to ask for it !

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 27 October 2007

We are booked again for a 3 day stay in December. This will be our 6th visit to the Pilgrims. Family room is good value and spacious it also has a shower above the bath now. Bed is comfortable but I would advise taking your own pillows as theirs are rather hard!!Our two boys love it here as they have a separate sleeping area. When my partner and I have been on our own and just had a double room we found it a bit cramped. Can be noisy from the street but ask for a quiet room. ( all the hotels we have stayed in that are in the city centre suffer this problem). By far the best value for money hotel in Canterbury (and we have tried a few in the centre, all more expensive). Lovely food and friendly staff. Great having secure parking just a short walk away. Will come back again and again whilst we have family living in Canterbury.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 5 July 2007

Once you find this hotel it turns out to be a lovely old Inn a bit old like me but still going well. A friendly welcome then up the narrow stairs to a nice compact comfortable room and a clean ensuite. Although compact there was enough room to move around and store your luggage. The restaurant was excellent, good menu at reasonable prices and early morning breakfast in the same was well catered . Good value for your money.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple