“Very quaint and cosy!”

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Very quaint and cosy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

Stayed at the Pilgrims for 4 nights from 13th July and what a quaint and cosy hotel this is. Standards of cleanliness were excellent and could not be faulted. Room a little hot, however fan is supplied so could overcome some of the heat. Stairs were a little narrow to the bedrooms so a little difficult when bringing down my suitcase and box of work, but did manage it. Hotel staff took my suitcase up whilst I was parking my car so didnt experience any diffiuculty when I arrived. Downside is No parking due to the location, however car was safe in Pound Lane car park during the duration of my stay.

Only ate in the restuarant on my first night as there are so many quaint and reasonable restaurants and pubs which are wall to wall in Canterbury.

What a bonus the free internet is aswell especially as my dongle wouldnt work with my laptop. Dont know if thats something to do with the network not working very well down south.

I would definately stay here again when on business in the future.

Hotel staff are very friendly and accomodating especially at breakfast and if you request anything additional for your room.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Canterbury and everywhere is easy to get to on foot.
The beautiful building is 16th century but it has every modern convenience.
The staff were all fantastic and couldn't have been more helpful and the room was beautiful and spotlessly clean.
The food was good and there was plenty of choice‎.
In a nutshell I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

As per usual I booked the hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and as usual was not dissapointed. The real appeal of the Pilgrims apart from the good reviews was the price which was reasonably lower than many of the similar rated hotels in the area,

On arrival the car park was a little tricky to find but was only a short walk from the hotel, which was fine. The hotel itself is easy to find just back from the high street and looks great from both inside and out.

Check in was good and staff great, we did have a mnior issue in that our room was set up as twin rather than a double, not sure whether the error was mine or the hotels but did not matter as the manager changed it up to a double straight away for us without any fuss.

We were a little concerned about noise as the site opposite the hotel is currently a building site but once inside the hotel you could not hear anything.

We went for a standard room which was lovely, with wooden beam ceilings etc and nice and clean, good tea and coffe facilities and nice, linen towels etc. May be being a little picky but just a few minor negatives, the room was a little stuffy and got a bit warm, the toilet was in a funny position right against the wall and sink which made it a little tricky to use and bathroom door would not stay shut or lock, also no alarm, no biggies but just minor niggles that meant not quite 5 out of 5.

Location wise couldn't ask for more, situated few minutes walk away from the cathedral and steps away from great restaraunts (if you like Mexican don't miss Cafe des Amis) and the shops.

The breakfasts were also fantastic, first morning we both had full english, best I have had for a long time, then on the Sunday I had poached eggs and my wife had croissant again fantastic and staff great.

If there weren't so many good restaraunts around we would definately have had lunch or dinner at the restaraunt.

All in all a good stay, I would love to give 5 but just a few little niggles that stop me from doing so but having said that I will not look any where else next time we visit Canterbury and would definately recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Ashford, Middlesex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

My wife & I have just stayed 5 nights at this very warm & friendly hotel. The food was great, huge portions & we received a 10% dicount on the food only. The staff were all extremely friendly & helpful thoughout our entire stay. We stayed in the Carlyle Room which was huge & generous amounts of hot water at all times.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

We just stayed at this hotel, the location is great, the room is very clean. We booked directly with the hotel. It was not noisy for a Saturday night, the staff was friendly. If you are driving, park at the Pound St parking and walk to hotel, it is easier to find. You get a voucher for parking from hotel (charge pounds5 /24 hours). Wifi in rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

I did a two night stay at the Pilgrims Hotel in Canterbury when I was traveling in England on my own. As this was the first stop for me after flying from San Francisco, I was very happy to arrive and crash out for a few hours.

There are three "named" rooms in the hotel, the rest are simply numbered. Some face the (lightly traveled) street & theater courtyard in front, others face the backyard (i.e. not sure what's back there, except the "service" stairway that goes down towards the kitchen). The room I was given was named "Carlisle" on the 1st floor (first floor off the ground; 2nd floor, in American terms). The front desk guy was happy to carry my back-achingly heavy suitcase up the narrow stairway, which I was amazed he could easily navigate.

Aside from the pink theme (which is probably perfectly fine for romantic couples), I really liked most everything I found in the room, including the comfy four poster bed. Surprisingly, the bathroom in my room was fully carpeted (I can imagine it's pretty easy to accidentally soak the carpet). The sink has two separate faucets (one for cold, one for "HOT!"). The amenities (soap, shampoo, bath gel) are of the 1960's-1970's "paper envelope" variety (i.e. just enough for one or two uses). For the price of the room, the hotel could probably afford to have small hotel-sized bottles and bigger soap bars. If you're a fan of facial washcloths like I am, bring your own from home. There aren't any here. No hair dryers in the room.

The building is very old, obviously, and I could hear people stepping and walking around upstairs above my head. Unlike other reviewers, there were no bad smells or cleanliness issues that I noticed. This might be problem with the backyard-facing rooms?

In my room, each of the two windows was uniquely double paned in that there's the older outside windows and then completely separate & modern windows just inside that can be opened as well (i.e. to get some fresh air, you have to open two sets of windows). I think this has something to do with "preserving" the historic character of the building.

Flat panel TV was a nice touch. There was a small fan hidden in the cabinet. One wishful addition of mine would be that the rooms really should have in-room safes to keep documents/computers/iPods locked up.

A huge plus: there's free WiFi access if you bring your laptop from home. No problems with it whatsoever. THANKS!

Lunch & dinner meals in the restaurant were reasonably priced. I had a Salmon & Dill omlette and a nice pint at dinner for less than 10 pounds. Full English Breakfast was a welcome surprise. You walk into the restaurant and they already have a typical breakfast spread of cereals, juices, croissants, cheeses, yogurts, and then a server comes out and offer guests any choice of items in a full English breakfast, which usually consists of toast, sausage, tomatoes, eggs, hash browns on some kind of butter saturated (or fried?) bread, button mushrooms.

If there's nobody at the front desk, they're probably working in the restaurant that's part of the hotel. Just step through the door and make the "I need help" facial expression and they'll come running. On the Saturday night I checked in, they were completely full and I saw at least one traveller being turned away (in other words, it may be a good idea to make a reservation ahead of time).

I arrived at the Canterbury West train station and took at 4 pound cab ride to get over to the hotel, which felt like at least a mile away through winding streets (i.e. it would've pretty annoying to walk & navigate the maze with my heavy bag). Walking to the Canterbury East train station was relatively straightforward, but it took about 20 minutes to do.

For the room, I paid £89 for each night (this includes VAT and a "single traveller" discount/reduction). For the size and quality of the Carlisle room, I'd almost certainly do that again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank MichaelInSF
Dilbeek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2009

On a visit to Kent and Suxxes from Flanders, Belgium. Tripadvisor showed me this was a good place to stay with a family and indeed it was. Cosy rooms and right next to the centre of Canterbury...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family