“What a dump!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
London
“What a dump!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

the only room left in Canterbury this weekend and now I know why!
Yes the location is central, but the rooms are tiny, tired, hot and clastrophobic.
I woke up at 4am in the most uncomfortable bed and decided it was time to get up because any rest was impossible... A nice breakfast in a better dining room, but I would not recommend this to anyone other than a student who has very low expectations.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Voyager056

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
North East
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

Reading the other reviews on here I booked this hotel for a weekend with my Mum and her best friend. I was hoping it would live to up the standards other people have experienced but I'm sad to say it didn't. I have stayed in various hotels in Canterbury when visiting my sister, but I have to say this place was a total joke! We stayed in rooms 1 and 2 and felt let down at the lack of attention to detail.

Mmmm where to start........ well the bathroom in Room 1 was dirty and cramped with a camping type toilet as the main feature. Flushing said toilet made a sound like an aircraft toilet and the pipes rumbled. The bath mat hadn't been changed from the previous customers and was littered with body hair. The bedroom itself was shabby with dust and dirt everywhere. The headboard hadn't been cleaned and we could write our names in the dirt. The light fitting was filthy, the bedding had what I would describe as body fluids on it and the carpets were gross. We had no choice but to stay at the hotel as the others were all fully booked due to graduation and the military parade.

We went down for breakfast the following morning and had to endure the staff in the kitchen discussing their drinking and sex lives. The dining room itself was also dirty (the widow ledges were thick with dust). Breakfast was of an acceptable standard.

When we made the assistant manger aware of our disappointment we were met with a real attitude and refusal to accept responsibility for the state of the rooms - she said she would happily stay in the room herself and she had no control over housekeeping! As we checked out we noticed the clean bedding for the room dumped and creased outside our door on the dirty carpet.

The only positive I can find for this place was its location. It is a stones throw from the main high street and could be a beautiful place if someone gave it the attention it deserves. Other guests checking out the same time as us had better experiences although one lady wanted to discuss the leaking toilet in her room.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank North_East_Stace
Dudley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

Stayed at the Pilgrims for 4 nights from 13th July and what a quaint and cosy hotel this is. Standards of cleanliness were excellent and could not be faulted. Room a little hot, however fan is supplied so could overcome some of the heat. Stairs were a little narrow to the bedrooms so a little difficult when bringing down my suitcase and box of work, but did manage it. Hotel staff took my suitcase up whilst I was parking my car so didnt experience any diffiuculty when I arrived. Downside is No parking due to the location, however car was safe in Pound Lane car park during the duration of my stay.

Only ate in the restuarant on my first night as there are so many quaint and reasonable restaurants and pubs which are wall to wall in Canterbury.

What a bonus the free internet is aswell especially as my dongle wouldnt work with my laptop. Dont know if thats something to do with the network not working very well down south.

I would definately stay here again when on business in the future.

Hotel staff are very friendly and accomodating especially at breakfast and if you request anything additional for your room.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of Canterbury and everywhere is easy to get to on foot.
The beautiful building is 16th century but it has every modern convenience.
The staff were all fantastic and couldn't have been more helpful and the room was beautiful and spotlessly clean.
The food was good and there was plenty of choice‎.
In a nutshell I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

As per usual I booked the hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and as usual was not dissapointed. The real appeal of the Pilgrims apart from the good reviews was the price which was reasonably lower than many of the similar rated hotels in the area,

On arrival the car park was a little tricky to find but was only a short walk from the hotel, which was fine. The hotel itself is easy to find just back from the high street and looks great from both inside and out.

Check in was good and staff great, we did have a mnior issue in that our room was set up as twin rather than a double, not sure whether the error was mine or the hotels but did not matter as the manager changed it up to a double straight away for us without any fuss.

We were a little concerned about noise as the site opposite the hotel is currently a building site but once inside the hotel you could not hear anything.

We went for a standard room which was lovely, with wooden beam ceilings etc and nice and clean, good tea and coffe facilities and nice, linen towels etc. May be being a little picky but just a few minor negatives, the room was a little stuffy and got a bit warm, the toilet was in a funny position right against the wall and sink which made it a little tricky to use and bathroom door would not stay shut or lock, also no alarm, no biggies but just minor niggles that meant not quite 5 out of 5.

Location wise couldn't ask for more, situated few minutes walk away from the cathedral and steps away from great restaraunts (if you like Mexican don't miss Cafe des Amis) and the shops.

The breakfasts were also fantastic, first morning we both had full english, best I have had for a long time, then on the Sunday I had poached eggs and my wife had croissant again fantastic and staff great.

If there weren't so many good restaraunts around we would definately have had lunch or dinner at the restaraunt.

All in all a good stay, I would love to give 5 but just a few little niggles that stop me from doing so but having said that I will not look any where else next time we visit Canterbury and would definately recommend.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Ashford, Middlesex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

My wife & I have just stayed 5 nights at this very warm & friendly hotel. The food was great, huge portions & we received a 10% dicount on the food only. The staff were all extremely friendly & helpful thoughout our entire stay. We stayed in the Carlyle Room which was huge & generous amounts of hot water at all times.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

We just stayed at this hotel, the location is great, the room is very clean. We booked directly with the hotel. It was not noisy for a Saturday night, the staff was friendly. If you are driving, park at the Pound St parking and walk to hotel, it is easier to find. You get a voucher for parking from hotel (charge pounds5 /24 hours). Wifi in rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple