“Filthy & Thieving” 1 of 5 bubbles

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“Filthy & Thieving”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I do not write the following arbitrarily.

I used to love this place and then new management took over and everything changed. The quality of the food went into the gutter and a bar with classy cocktails became a bar with a slushy machine and a live band was replaced with an unoriginal troglodyte who plays the same playlist every night for three years.

All of this may be acceptable in the spirit of progression however there is one specific incident that changed my opinion completely. I was there with friends recently and we purchased a bottle of Crystal Skull Vodka. This particular vodka comes from Canada where it is on the pricier side. It is very hard to find in the UK and if you do find it it is even more expensive. If you find it in a so-called high profile estalishment then the price is even more so.

Accordingly, when we found a bottle of Crystal Skull in the Cuban we were not surprised by the exhorbitant price we had to pay. What we were surprised by was the fact that it was NOT Crystal Skull that we were ultimately served. I was the one sober one that night and it was clear that the Crystal Skull Vodka had been replaced by some cheap swill, probably by the very balding, portly "manager" who conveniently opened the bottle and smirked weakly whilst he "served" it to us.

They say they welcome trading stadards but that is a joke. Hygene is not the issue here nor is atmosphere. Both are fine. The real issue is that they are ripping people off with the drinks they serve and if they could do that to us, they could do it to anyone.

If you do have a drink here watch very carefully as the (mostly) zero experience bartenders pour you a drink, not just for the quantity but the very quality of what you are served.

This management should be ashamed of itself.

Having said that, I do like the rhyming pestering imbecile in the bathroom, perhaps they'd be better off letting him rin the place.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank daymannightman
TheCubanManagement, Owner at The Cuban, responded to this review, 6 July 2013
Thank you for your comments.

We defend the quality of spirits and alcohol served at The Cuban. We stock a wide selection of premium and super premium spirits by demand for our high end clientele. You are welcome to visit at anytime unannounced accompanied by any trading standard officer and you will not find a single drop of alcohol for sale that is not represented by what is stated on the label of any bottle.

As an owner we have spent hundreds of thousands of pounds pulling this business out of the gutter and turning it into a restaurant with excellent quality food, 95% of it home made on the premises with fresh ingredients.

Further we are the proud owners of Canterbury's most visited late night bar, with people regularly booking private areas to ensure their entrance.

We work hard on training our staff to attain a level of service that would be acceptable to ourselves. The Cuban strives towards a high level of customer service and satisfaction. We take all customer opinions into account with a view to improving all areas of the business.

What we don't appreciate are cowardly faceless assassins writing insulting reviews and personal attacks on our staff because they have been asked to leave our premises for insulting our staff and acting in an obnoxious anti-social manner.

Faversham, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Disgusting drinks, rude bar staff & tacky interior”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I can't believe this place stays open! I have never been to such a disappointing bar. First of all I question the legitimacy of the alcohol being served. The vodka for our cocktails came from Absolut bottles but tasted very strange - I suspect it was a very low quality substitute. I ought to report them to Trading Standards. The cocktails were very weak and the beer had a strange smell. The bar staff were young, bad mannered & inexperienced. And the bar was very cheaply furnished and looked tacky. I decided not to chance the food as I suspect it too is terrible & prepared in an unhygienic environment. Avoid at all costs!

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Helen F
TheCubanManagement, Owner at The Cuban, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Helen

I am the owner of The Cuban in Canterbury and am very disturbed by your review. I would welcome the chance to discuss your experience personally, as this kind of review is very disappointing to me.

To note your comments, we do not disguise our alcohol in different bottles, we serve premium products as a rule and alternative products for our student events, None of our spirits are placed into different bottles for pouring. We would welcome a visit by Trading Standards at any time.

In respect of our beer, we only serve Fosters & Heineken, and these are regularly cleaned. We are also regularly tested by Heineken and randomly secretly tested for the quality of our beer. It has always met there stringent standards.

Our kitchen and premises received a 3 star hygeine rating last year and since has been fully refurbished and improved, our cleanliness in food preparation and handling is now of a very high standard.

Comments about our décor are your personal taste and a matter of opinion.

Please contact me (George) should you wish to discuss any of these matters personally. I would welcome the opportunity to assure you. 01227 464464
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great place for cocktails and dancing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We visited The Cuban as a large group of girls for cocktails one Saturday night! Having never been in there before I was really impressed with the staff and the quality of the drinks (sometime a Mojito can be a bit washed out - not here!) Loved the live Cuban Band and the Dancers who I think were paid to be there as they were happy to dance with anyone! Great atmosphere, not the cheapest place, but hey you get what you pay for!

Visited June 2013
TheCubanManagement, Owner at The Cuban, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your comments. Just a note about the dancers, they are all customers who are here to have a great evening of Salsa. We don't pay anyone except the band. The Salsa spirit affords the experts and beginners equality on the dance floor. Salsa is about have a fun and expressing your soul. We hope to see you again!
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Overpriced, unfriendly and a let-down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

NOTE: This review does not look at the daytime menu or lunch, purely as The Cuban for a night out

I have been to this establishment three times now: On the first occasion, I left after 20 minutes having been queuing for a drink for the majority of that time, being shoved left right and centre by the rude clientele they seem to pride themselves on. On the second occasion, on a Thursday night, my friend was sexually assaulted by one of their punters and the bouncers did not want to hear anything of it and we were essentially asked to leave. Last night was the final straw, and I will not be returning to this place ever again.

A party of 19 of us were out for my friends birthday, upon entering the establishment a rather drunk lady walked into the birthday boy and caused him to stumble - the bouncers mistook this as him being too drunk, and immediately chucked him out before we even got past the payment point. You would think it would make good business sense to at least be reasonable when listening to others, especially when there is a large party that could spend a decent amount of money, but the bouncers have always been rude, arrogant and unhelpful. The staff that run the night, Student Republic, are lovely - but this establishment itself is a complete let down.

Drinks are overpriced, they seem to find it acceptable to charge almost £7 for a double vodka when every other bar in town you can find it for around £4 - cocktails are very weak as well. Bar staff are rather rude at times, a little customer service can go a long way but I've never seen a more miserable looking bunch of waiters and waitresses before!

Music is unvaried, and you can guarantee the songs they will play each night as the playlist never seems to be updated or varied.

The actual layout of the club is poor, and very difficult to move around. If you like the kinda place that will take you 5 minutes to get to a toilet from the dancefloor, then you will love it here!

The only redeeming feature about this establishment is the decor, which has an upmarket feel to it - however, clearly paid for with the huge profits from the overpriced drinks.

Overall, a terrible night out and it's a wonder why people would choose this place over others in canterbury. I cannot find anyone that has a good experience here, yet it amazes me how they manage to still pack out this place on a weekly basis. Would not recommend

5 Thank Dave C
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“VERY RUDE STAFF, EXPENSIVE DRINKS, IF YOU WANT TO BE ILL AND RIPPED OFF GO HERE!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I went here with my family for my birthday, we are not from Canterberry but thought we would try something different. We ordered some cocktails and were asked to pay for them £6:00 each then go and sit down in the bar somwhere then they would bring them over, in hine sight we should have watched our drinks being poured as when we finally got them after waiting 20 min for them they turned up full of lime but not much else apert from some strange tasting weak vodka?! We didnt say much untill my brother then ordered a beer as there cocktails were much to be desired. The beer was not much better smelling of eggy sulpher to be told by the VERY rude bar staff and manager that it will taste like that as we only change our pipes on a Sunday and as it was Sat we are not cleaning them now and they will carry on to serve this to members of the public!!!! To add to this the female sat behind us eating her boyfriends face very innerpropriatley whilst we were trying to have a quite drink turned out to be one of the managers!!!!! I would not want anyone to go through this horrible experience!!!!

4 Thank Josie F