“Excellent small hostel, would definitely recommend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent small hostel, would definitely recommend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed 3 nights at this small hostel located about 1km from the centre of Canterbury, in a quiet residential street. Our double room was at the back of the hostel overlooking the pretty garden. The hostel has a lovely country feel, is very clean, quiet & peaceful. We were not disturbed by noisy guests or loud parties, as their rules are quite strict about noise after 11pm, so this is an ideal place if you want peace & quiet. We were among a number of older guests during our stay, so didn't feel out of place, and were made to feel very welcome by the staff, who made suggestions on transport, places to visit and restaurants. There is a very homely front lounge room with a terrific selection of DVD's and books, with free wi-fi. Really enjoyed our stay there and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

KiPPs hostel is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. All the staff are friendly and entertaining - I didn't even realise some of them worked here for a while. The distance from Canterbury City Centre means that it's great for anyone visiting on business or for pleasure. The staff were helpful and actually fed me quite a lot (on cake night, sausage night and pancake night... so many pancakes...) to the point where I didn't often feed myself.

Kipps offers for free things that their only local competition, YHA, charges for, such as internet access and towel rental. I made several friends here and I know I'm not the only one who is sad to leave. If I ever have business in Canterbury again I will certainly be staying at Kipps - it is far more enjoyable than hotels that cost five times as much.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Vienna
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

I only stayed at the Kipps for 2 nights, but it was really amazing!! I had booked myself a single room, and while it was small, it had everything I needed. Anyone who wants to have a nice time in Canterbury and doesn't mind the 5 minute walk into the centre should stay here.

The hostel offers everything from a small common room with computer access, tv, dvd's and books. A kitchen that you can use (which is perfect if you don't want to go out for dinner every night), and a good breakfast every morning. They have also got a sweet small back garden that you can stay in. Not to forget the free Wifi.

They were really helpful and friendly and even helped me with a my suitcase! Thanks again!!

Room Tip: Single Room with mini dvd player!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank moonygarou
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

This was by far the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Not only was the staff incredible, but the room was clean and comfortable. Upon arrival, there was a chocolate on my pillow along with map of Canterbury and recommended restaurants. The staff was very nice, even carrying my bag up the stairs. There was an adorable garden in the back and a wonderful breakfast in the morning. Wish I could have stayed here longer.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Alcala de los Gazules, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

I spent five nights at Kipps while visiting friends and family in Canterbury. I really enjoyed being there and meeting people from all over the world. You can join in the social activities if you want to, but there is no pressure.

Despite the fact that my single room was not much larger than the bed, there was plenty of shelf and storage space and it was very comfortable. There is an 11 pm noise curfew, which was appreciated, though some of the kids were noisy early in the morning.

The garden was lovely, and the freely available computer in the lounge was a godsend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Canterbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

I stayed at KiPPS for a few days due to being in between houses. I had a really nice stay. The facilities were very good and the staff were really nice. If passing through Canterbury I would recommend staying here. Or if moving to Canterbury it is a really good place to stay while you look for permanent accomodation.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank PhilipHadland
Home Counties
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2010

I've stayed in far worse Hotels than this backpackers hostel, and paid a lot more too. Old but not tired, beautifully clean and polished and lots of public space. I stayed in a single room with toilet and shower down the hall. Although small it had everything I needed , including working TV, tea and coffee, soap and a sink with a mirror over. Barbeque in the garden sounded fun but I was shattered after moving daughter into halls at Canterbury Christchurch Uni which was a 15 min walk away - thank you Kipps for the Map ! I'll no doubt be back to Canterbury over the next 3 years and will definately come back to stay here - much better than an impersonal budget hotel. Oh and they had restaurant recommendations in room , went to Cafe Boho in High Street and we were delighted with food and service

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo