“Best hostel ever (private room, but still)”
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The room was spacious, CLEAN, well outfitted. It felt so welcoming, the way the room was set up for guests with towels and the information book and the nice beds. The entire hostel was very clean and cosy. You could just tell that Kipps was actually cleaned! Comfy beds. Friendly employees. Big, clean kitchen for guest use. Great value and great price. Kipps is the best hostel at which I have stayed. I missed Kipps sorely once we arrived at our next hostel/pigsty on our trip...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren S

Reviewed 29 September 2011

This was my first experience of a hostel and although the place seemed very nice, the people were friendly and the grounds were great, it's really nothing like staying in a hotel!

I had no choice (as it was fully booked) to stay in a female dorm. It seemed a little small but was what I expected really, I was just glad I got a single bed in the middle of the room rather than a bunk bed!
The shower and toilet room was not that nice really rather dated, and my bedding looked a little stained, however they did lend me a towel as I had forgotten mine.

The kitchen, living room & dinning room were nice a clean and of good size. They were all also very well equipt, with TV DVD, computer internet, free coffee and tea, access to all the kitchen appliances needed, so overal very nice. I enjoyed spending time in their beautiful garden! The kitchen closed at 11pm which was annoying for me, but the living room was open until 1am to socialise quietly.

If you are used to hostels I'm sure this is a really good one and the staff were helpful although at times you weren't sure if they were guest or staff, but nice atmosphere, seemed relaxed, and they had parking facilaties. I think I would have enjoyed more if I was able to get a single room to myself.

Room Tip: Book a siungle room early, or get a group of you and book a whole dorm.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Though staying in hostels with a group of 20 and more students on a school trip can sometimes be a bit trying here we found an amazingly warm welcome and encountered a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. All the "freebies" on offer were also a great help with a rather low budget as were all the advice and support by a terrific staff with organising activities locally.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We stayed 3 nights at this small hostel located about 1km from the centre of Canterbury, in a quiet residential street. Our double room was at the back of the hostel overlooking the pretty garden. The hostel has a lovely country feel, is very clean, quiet & peaceful. We were not disturbed by noisy guests or loud parties, as their rules are quite strict about noise after 11pm, so this is an ideal place if you want peace & quiet. We were among a number of older guests during our stay, so didn't feel out of place, and were made to feel very welcome by the staff, who made suggestions on transport, places to visit and restaurants. There is a very homely front lounge room with a terrific selection of DVD's and books, with free wi-fi. Really enjoyed our stay there and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

KiPPs hostel is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. All the staff are friendly and entertaining - I didn't even realise some of them worked here for a while. The distance from Canterbury City Centre means that it's great for anyone visiting on business or for pleasure. The staff were helpful and actually fed me quite a lot (on cake night, sausage night and pancake night... so many pancakes...) to the point where I didn't often feed myself.

Kipps offers for free things that their only local competition, YHA, charges for, such as internet access and towel rental. I made several friends here and I know I'm not the only one who is sad to leave. If I ever have business in Canterbury again I will certainly be staying at Kipps - it is far more enjoyable than hotels that cost five times as much.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I only stayed at the Kipps for 2 nights, but it was really amazing!! I had booked myself a single room, and while it was small, it had everything I needed. Anyone who wants to have a nice time in Canterbury and doesn't mind the 5 minute walk into the centre should stay here.

The hostel offers everything from a small common room with computer access, tv, dvd's and books. A kitchen that you can use (which is perfect if you don't want to go out for dinner every night), and a good breakfast every morning. They have also got a sweet small back garden that you can stay in. Not to forget the free Wifi.

They were really helpful and friendly and even helped me with a my suitcase! Thanks again!!

Room Tip: Single Room with mini dvd player!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank moonygarou
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This was by far the best hostel I have ever stayed in. Not only was the staff incredible, but the room was clean and comfortable. Upon arrival, there was a chocolate on my pillow along with map of Canterbury and recommended restaurants. The staff was very nice, even carrying my bag up the stairs. There was an adorable garden in the back and a wonderful breakfast in the morning. Wish I could have stayed here longer.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends