“Decent tariffs, excellent service, terrible sleep.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
“Decent tariffs, excellent service, terrible sleep.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

I liked the welcome the receptionist gave us, spending almost 10 minutes of his time showing us every single amenity or service the hostel offered, walking us through it. Breakfast not included, but you can pay for it at reception and it's not expensive at all, besides no one is controlling how much you eat.
However, beds are awfully thin and uncomfortable. When you get in the bathroom it doesn't get better, it's not dirty, but you wouldn't consider it as the type of bathroom you want for your home. If rest is what you are looking for in your break in Canterbury and you have the bad luck to be accommodated next to the living room in the first floor, then you will have to accept some guitar melodies and out-of-tune voices as lullabies. The receptionist was happy to shut them up if we would asked for it, but we decided to let these Beatles wannabes have some fun too :D

In summary, if you have an average backpacker career, go for Kipps, you'll probably be familiar what you will find there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
FuzzyGirly
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed here for a night over a chilly weekend, was very impressed by the private room. It was so comfy and very inviting. Was very delighted to have tea making facilities in the room with free tea & coffee & biscuit too! The satellite TV was a bonus however the reception was very bad during my stay (may be due to horrible weather).....The shared toilets were kept very clean and it was relatively quiet after 11pm, which was excellent! Helpful notices are dotted around the room & hostel (including a Kipps own guide to Canterbury).

They do provide breakfast for 1.95 pounds which I find quite reasonable but didn't try it (however the nearest place to get food is in the city which was like 10 mins walk away) Would definitely return to stay again for my next trip, and wishes all hostels around the world can try to imitate Kipps standard of what a hostel should be!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 28 which had a view of the garden, although not much to see during winter
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

I was originally meant to stay here for 7 days, but in the end I ended up staying for 12, which should say a lot. The staff are extremely friendly, and they are naturals for the hospitality industry, in that you didn't feel that they were following a script, they genuinely wanted to help out wherever they could. There was a great mix of people there, lots of French people, so it would actually be recommended to someone who lives in London that is learning French, as there is plenty of opportunity to practice the language.

It ticked all of the boxes. The place was kept extremely clean, being cleaned every day between 11am - 2pm. The rooms were nice (I stayed in an 8 bed dorm that did not feel crowded), the location was great, about a 5-6 min walk from the main town centre, which I actually preferred than being in in main town centre. If you smoke the back garden is very nice, the dining and reception rooms are very spacious and filled with a lot of light. A lot of the time of my stay I had a lot of writing work to complete, and definitely did not get cabin fever, with the high ceilings, uncluttered furnishings and lots of natural light meaning I was more than happy to spend as much time as I needed to there.

A lot of the things that make this place special are hard to spot at first. The furniture is lovely, really old, no Ikea furniture in sight, with antique writing desks and side tables. They had sky sports/movies, which is really handy if you are traveling on a budget, as it is a great way to kill time for free. Every night they also had a themed night, which was a very nice touch, as it gave everyone an excuse to get together and chat. The food that they prepared on some of these themed nights was on a par with a restaurant, really nice. The kitchen was plenty big, and the free teas and coffees were handy. No curfew, which although I never went out late, is worth knowing if you do. The lockers are big enough to put a laptop into, and if you are bringing a padlock, I would recommend getting one with a slightly thicker width to the part that enters the lock, ( just to it doesn't rattle around as the hole is a bit big) although having said that, I forgot mine and they were kind enough to lend me one for free, which worked fine.

Of course, the experience of your stay here will depend on your expectations, but I think it is very telling that this place has a very high Trip Adviser average review, and it is highly rated on many other websites. Seeing as my jobs over the last 2 years have been to work with companies to help them improve the standards of their business, and also to review venues for newspapers (although not hotels/hostels, but bars instead) I can say that there is no need for them to do anything more. Any money spent on the place in improvements would need to be substantial to even improve the place slightly as the place is to a very high standard as it is, (it is a Victorian property, remember, and they are expensive to renovate) and that would mean a rise in the rates, and would not actually improve the place much. As i was leaving, I was told be be as honest as possible on the review, and to suggest things they could improve on the place (which is always a good sign for a business to have that proactive and positive attitude) but personally would not do anything, as the place has got great character at the moment, and small things that some people might find as needing improvement, like a squeaky floorboard here and there, add a lot of character to the place, and I think add to the place.

Also, the bed was comfortable and the sheets were changed every day, which was a welcome surprise. All in all, a really nice place. The very antithesis of a Holiday Inn style chain. It did not feel like a Hostel at all, which is a great compliment to the staff there, and it was telling how many of the people there were repeat customers, which should give you an indication of the high standards. Easily a 5 star hostel, and definitely way better than I expected.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Hi
Thank you for your nice comments and letting us know about your experience at the hostel

and thank you for our upgrade on our star rating to 5. - appreciated

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have just had the very pleasant empiricism of staying at Kipps in Canterbury. This hostel is very clean and comfortable, with moderate tariffs, and they include little extra's such as tea and coffee at any time. It is, however, the fabulous staff whom make the whole experience so wonderful. Each evening they have an 'event' whereby, the staff prepare and provide refreshments and invite all the guests to partake and spend time socializing as a group, and enjoying each other's company. Kudo's to you Kipps!!! Looking forward to another visit in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Hi
I will pass them on to the staff, who will be very happy
Glad you appreciated the little extras :)

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2012

It was my first time backpacking and stay at backpackers hostel in UK. At first, I was afraid about the backpackers hostel (is it comfortable, safe enough, etc), but after I stayed at Kipps Backpacker, I can say that I changed my view towards it. Kipps is such a good place to stay, the staffs are really friendly and helpful, the room and toilet are clean, the kitchen and living room are comfortable. It makes me want to go backpacking again in UK and I'm not worried anymore to stay at the backpacker hostel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Hi
Kipps was set up to be a home from home experience, so we are glad you was able to experience this too. We are also happy that you enjoyed staying at a backpackers hostel,especially our one

Kipps
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Justifiably awarded the Number 1 spot in England more than once, exceptionally welcoming, with the friendly and helpful staff making it feel like a top family hotel. One of the few independents that can match the English YHA hostels in standards.
Free tea/coffee, sometimes even cakes/snacks available are an ideal welcome for tired travelers.
The reception sells some food and other essentials, useful as the nearest supermarkets are in the city centre, perhaps 20 minutes walk.
The area is residential, so you need to be quiet after 11.00 in the evening and get a takeaway if you wish to eat after this time, as the kitchen is closed overnight. There are plenty of restaurants and takeaways in the city centre, although the nearest pub only serves food until 8.00pm during the week, which is rather early.

Room Tip: It is a large victorian property, with high ceilings, so cool in summer. There aren't any poor...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Hi
Thank you for your nice commentsand glad you agree with out No.1 spot in England.

Hope to see you back in Canterbury and at Kipps another time

Thanks
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I had come to Canterbury for my sons graduation and was running VERY late due to train problems from the recent bad weather. I literally ran in in a panic as my taxi was staying outside to take me to the cathedral. I breathlessly explained my plight and the lovely young lady said she would take my bag up to my room for me so i could run off. I got back after midnight, and found my room to be tidy, warm and with everything I needed (I opted for a single room with shared bathroom facilities). There was a hairdrier, tea and coffee, a washbasin, a cd player, clean towels etc. much more than I expected for a hostel. the bed was comfy with lovely fluffy pillows and I slept like a log after such a hectic stressful day! The next morning I had a shower in the shared bathroom, there were plenty of toiletries if you had forgotten your own, it was clean and a fab shower. the breakfast downstairs was lovely, you pay £1.95 and can eat all the continental breakfast you like (I did lol). Chatted to some other guests too who were very friendly. My first time in a hostel but wont be my last - if I come to Canterbury again I will be using Kipps again, cannot praise highly enough! well done guys!!

Room Tip: single rooms are available with shared bathroom facilities if you dont fancy the "dorm" ex...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo