“nothing like other hostels!”
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brighton, United Kingdom
“nothing like other hostels!”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed at Kipps in May 2013, and I think it is way better than any other hostels I know. It is very clean, cosy and the staff are really friendly and helpful. You can think of this place as an old Victorian house, it feels like home. It is close to Canterbury East station, and 10 mins walk to the town centre. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room, so don't have an idea about the shared ones, but the single one had...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Such a friendly community here. I stayed in August 2012 (a bit delayed in writing my review - sorry!) but was so glad to have 4 nights here. The staff actually live in the hostel, so they take great care to make it homely, welcoming and it therefore feels like you're staying with friends - great if you're travelling on your own. Reasonably priced. Relatively close to the centre of town, with buses nearby, and two pubs very close by. Great welcome on arrival - the guy on duty carried my bag upstairs for me. Staff are from a wide variety of countries, and they're all so friendly! Stayed in a 6-bed dorm with a shared bathroom, but we all seemed to manage OK with very little waiting. Free towel, free padlock for a locker. Delightful back garden (lovingly tended by one of the staff) with secluded little areas to chat, enjoy a drink or curl up with a book. Conservatory area for breakfast - long bench tables are great for chatting and getting to know others. Plenty of breakfast options, for a small extra charge. Large kitchen with plenty of utensils etc. if you want to cook for yourself. Big lounge room with computer available. Each evening there is a theme if you want to join in - board games, video games, cake-making (I was out til 9pm and they saved me some!). Respectful of people's need to sleep - not a wild partying place (this is a positive in my view!). No real noise issues from other rooms or neighbouring properties. On a fairly quiet road too. My final night coincided with Sally Pearson's hurdles race at the London Olympics. I really really wanted to watch it, but it was video games night. Annabel (a French staff member who had lived in Australia for a while) was amazing - she arranged for the video games to be paused, watched the race with me, and jumped up and down and cheered with me when Sally won the gold medal! :-) This sort of "family" atmosphere and emotional / moral support is so important when you're in the midst of a lengthy trip ... which can become a bit "lonely" at times. If I return to Canterbury, I'll be returning to Kipps!

Room Tip: Ask for a single-storey bed (not a bunk) - more storage area underneath. Private rooms available too...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Barmera, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This place has been one of the most welcoming places that I have stumbled upon during my trip around Europe,so much so that it actually inspired me to write a review. It's a bit more than just quality service that they provide here, the staff seem genuinely invested in your stay, and I had the pleasure of meeting many other happy campers in my one night here. I sincerely considered staying on for a bit longer, just to enjoy the pleasant ambience of this place, but my time was unfortunately very limited. It was only a go-between for me, but I had no trouble sleeping on what I thought were more than adequate mattresses, and all of the other facilities were great too. I even managed to score a free meal of sausages. I highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I liked the welcome the receptionist gave us, spending almost 10 minutes of his time showing us every single amenity or service the hostel offered, walking us through it. Breakfast not included, but you can pay for it at reception and it's not expensive at all, besides no one is controlling how much you eat.
However, beds are awfully thin and uncomfortable. When you get in the bathroom it doesn't get better, it's not dirty, but you wouldn't consider it as the type of bathroom you want for your home. If rest is what you are looking for in your break in Canterbury and you have the bad luck to be accommodated next to the living room in the first floor, then you will have to accept some guitar melodies and out-of-tune voices as lullabies. The receptionist was happy to shut them up if we would asked for it, but we decided to let these Beatles wannabes have some fun too :D

In summary, if you have an average backpacker career, go for Kipps, you'll probably be familiar what you will find there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
FuzzyGirly
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Stayed here for a night over a chilly weekend, was very impressed by the private room. It was so comfy and very inviting. Was very delighted to have tea making facilities in the room with free tea & coffee & biscuit too! The satellite TV was a bonus however the reception was very bad during my stay (may be due to horrible weather).....The shared toilets were kept very clean and it was relatively quiet after 11pm, which was excellent! Helpful notices are dotted around the room & hostel (including a Kipps own guide to Canterbury).

They do provide breakfast for 1.95 pounds which I find quite reasonable but didn't try it (however the nearest place to get food is in the city which was like 10 mins walk away) Would definitely return to stay again for my next trip, and wishes all hostels around the world can try to imitate Kipps standard of what a hostel should be!

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 28 which had a view of the garden, although not much to see during winter
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I was originally meant to stay here for 7 days, but in the end I ended up staying for 12, which should say a lot. The staff are extremely friendly, and they are naturals for the hospitality industry, in that you didn't feel that they were following a script, they genuinely wanted to help out wherever they could. There was a great mix of people there, lots of French people, so it would actually be recommended to someone who lives in London that is learning French, as there is plenty of opportunity to practice the language.

It ticked all of the boxes. The place was kept extremely clean, being cleaned every day between 11am - 2pm. The rooms were nice (I stayed in an 8 bed dorm that did not feel crowded), the location was great, about a 5-6 min walk from the main town centre, which I actually preferred than being in in main town centre. If you smoke the back garden is very nice, the dining and reception rooms are very spacious and filled with a lot of light. A lot of the time of my stay I had a lot of writing work to complete, and definitely did not get cabin fever, with the high ceilings, uncluttered furnishings and lots of natural light meaning I was more than happy to spend as much time as I needed to there.

A lot of the things that make this place special are hard to spot at first. The furniture is lovely, really old, no Ikea furniture in sight, with antique writing desks and side tables. They had sky sports/movies, which is really handy if you are traveling on a budget, as it is a great way to kill time for free. Every night they also had a themed night, which was a very nice touch, as it gave everyone an excuse to get together and chat. The food that they prepared on some of these themed nights was on a par with a restaurant, really nice. The kitchen was plenty big, and the free teas and coffees were handy. No curfew, which although I never went out late, is worth knowing if you do. The lockers are big enough to put a laptop into, and if you are bringing a padlock, I would recommend getting one with a slightly thicker width to the part that enters the lock, ( just to it doesn't rattle around as the hole is a bit big) although having said that, I forgot mine and they were kind enough to lend me one for free, which worked fine.

Of course, the experience of your stay here will depend on your expectations, but I think it is very telling that this place has a very high Trip Adviser average review, and it is highly rated on many other websites. Seeing as my jobs over the last 2 years have been to work with companies to help them improve the standards of their business, and also to review venues for newspapers (although not hotels/hostels, but bars instead) I can say that there is no need for them to do anything more. Any money spent on the place in improvements would need to be substantial to even improve the place slightly as the place is to a very high standard as it is, (it is a Victorian property, remember, and they are expensive to renovate) and that would mean a rise in the rates, and would not actually improve the place much. As i was leaving, I was told be be as honest as possible on the review, and to suggest things they could improve on the place (which is always a good sign for a business to have that proactive and positive attitude) but personally would not do anything, as the place has got great character at the moment, and small things that some people might find as needing improvement, like a squeaky floorboard here and there, add a lot of character to the place, and I think add to the place.

Also, the bed was comfortable and the sheets were changed every day, which was a welcome surprise. All in all, a really nice place. The very antithesis of a Holiday Inn style chain. It did not feel like a Hostel at all, which is a great compliment to the staff there, and it was telling how many of the people there were repeat customers, which should give you an indication of the high standards. Easily a 5 star hostel, and definitely way better than I expected.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
kippscanterbury, Owner at Kipps, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Hi
Thank you for your nice comments and letting us know about your experience at the hostel

and thank you for our upgrade on our star rating to 5. - appreciated

Regards
Kipps Canterbury
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I have just had the very pleasant empiricism of staying at Kipps in Canterbury. This hostel is very clean and comfortable, with moderate tariffs, and they include little extra's such as tea and coffee at any time. It is, however, the fabulous staff whom make the whole experience so wonderful. Each evening they have an 'event' whereby, the staff prepare and provide refreshments and invite all the guests to partake and spend time socializing as a group, and enjoying each other's company. Kudo's to you Kipps!!! Looking forward to another visit in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
kippscanterbury, Owner at Kipps, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Hi
I will pass them on to the staff, who will be very happy
Glad you appreciated the little extras :)

Regards