“One of the best hostels we've stayed in.”
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Surrey
“One of the best hostels we've stayed in.”
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Having done some travelling, we’re no strangers to hostels, but Kipps was actually our first experience of an English hostel, and it didn’t disappoint. We decided against staying in dorms, and stayed in one of their double rooms which had full linen and towels provided. There was also a sink in the room, although the toilets and shower were shared with other guests.

The hostel itself was immaculate, the kitchen was fully equipped (the hostel also offers a continental breakfast for a small cost) and there was a small room for people to eat as well as a very comfortable Lounge room with internet access (costed, though free Wi-Fi access) and Sky TV. The hostel also has daily events such as BBQ’s, movie nights, etc. This seemed a great way for guests to mingle with other guests, and meet the friendly and very helpful staff. However, if you didn’t want to participate in any of this stuff, there never felt like any pressure in doing so (we were often so tired after our walks, that we just crashed in the lounge area or in our room).

The location is also quite good, with the town centre only about 5-10 minutes’ walk away. (Canterbury East train station was about the same walk, but Canterbury West about 20 minutes walk away).
Parking is a slight issue, with only 2 spaces available at the hostel. On weekends the main road where the hostel is on, has free parking, so we got lucky with that. But otherwise, I imagine you’d need to park on a separate side road, or one of the long term car parks nearby (assuming the 2 spaces aren’t free).

But all in all, this really was one of the better hostels that we’ve stayed in. So if looking for a cheaper alternative to a hotel, I would recommend the double rooms at Kipps.

• Liked — Facilities
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kpp17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 16 April 2008

I can't thank enough to the staff of this brilliant hostel for having given me the most memorable hostel stay in my life. This hostel Kipps is situated in a former bed and breakfast property, which gives you very homey and warm, nice feelings as though you are staying in an English Victorian country private house with a spacious living room (common room) with TV and fireplace and couch just like a typical residential property, cool large kitchen (you can cook on your too). It's located in a surprisingly totally residential area.

But, easy walking distance from the central tourist attractions of Canterbury. It cost me about 6.6 pond to get there by taxi from the Canterbury West station, which you normally arrive if you come from London (Victoria station). But, you can walk back to the Canterbury East station (10 minutes)

What blew my mind was the way this hostel makes such an unusually personal approach EVERY NIGHT to bring hostel guests together by having a special event.

I happened to stay here on a Friday night. It was an Italian guy's free pasta & wine service to anyone interested plus singing all together with a guitar at their dining room. The staff of this hostel may be some kind of human relationship genius to make people happy and having fun. I experienced something completely fantastic that I had never expected then there, as though I went right back to the days of my college, and this hostel made me feel as though people, who happened to stay in the hostel on the same night, were my dear classmates.

We sang many pop (and rock music through 70's to 90's) songs along with his guitar and laughed and had a blast. Also, I got a valuable opportunity to learn something quite eye-opening about some countries that I didn't know well through the fellow guests, who attended the same pasta and singing party night.

This is one of few situations that I was truly touched by people, who must love meeting fellow humans, therefore they must be running the hostel.

I saw a piece of paper on their wall describing as to how they have come up with some friendship event every night. (You are not obligated to participate any of those hostel event here by the way, so that if you needed to stay alone in your dorm room or hanging out in the town until late at night, there will be no problem, I suppose)

It wasn't some kind of party animals' noisy hostel, by the way. After the evening event, the hostel was quiet, and I had no trouble falling asleep.

I was so glad that I booked this hostel, which made my day without a doubt.

The room that I stayed was a female dorm (en suite), so that there was a shower and bathroom inside the dorm.

The staff, who greeted me at the reception, carried my suitcase to the upstairs without my request. Very kind. I can recommend this hostel to anyone, who is seeking a hostel type accommodation in Canterbury.

• Liked — the fun loving friendly staff and the evening event
  • Disliked — A little far from the west station. (but walking distance from the east station)
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank raven_10099
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 March 2008

Kipps is fantastic. It's cosy and clean. Staff there are really friendly and helpful. The dining area is really interesting and has a very countryside feel to it.

We were there for the pancakes and nintendo wii night which was really lots of fun. Even though pancakes had ran out (as we came back rather late), Claire didn't mind making more! Yummy.

Room was an ensuite 9-men dorm. The bathroom was really hotel-like and the sheets smelled really fresh (u know that kind of fresh sheet smell u get when in a hotel?). Towels and hairdryers were provided free of charge.

This hostel is the best i've ever stayed in. For the price u are paying, u get more than u actually deserve! Although a 10 min walk away from the High Street, the place is highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank waterbutt
Queensland
Reviewed 1 November 2006

It was my first time travelling alone and I had never stayed in a hostel (apart from an extremely doggy student accom/backpackers in Melbourne) before, so as you can imagine I was a little nervous about what I might find after booking myself into Kipps, however I was pleasantly suprised.

All my fellow backpackers (long term and short term ) were incredibly friendly and made me fell right at home. There is an absolutely huge kitchen, dinning and lounge area, which is very very well stocked. The entire hostel is kept very clean and all linen and bed spreads are provided. The owner is lovely old chap who is more than happy to welcome you into his 'home', encouraging a communal spirit which keeps the hostel clean and friendly.

There were only two down sides that I experienced (and have come to learn they are part and parcel with the budget experience). Firstly, one of the hostel employees, without trying to sound rude, was a little imcompetant, booking me in for two nights with three people (????) instead of my requested one night for one person. However, that mistake was quickly cleared upon arrival. Secondly, don't expect to arrive at Kipps and recieve an amazing shower. Mine was either boiling hot or freezing cold and had absolutely no water pressure.

A word for the wise would also be to take a good map if you are intending to walk, because it can be slightly tricky to find (however it is very accessible once you know the way), especially if you are walking from the Western Station as I had done. (This is particularly for people like me with no sense of direction) If you get a bit stuck there are buses that stop just outside Kipps, which are only £0.60 one way.

All of this aside Kipps exceeded all of my expectations and for £14 was an ABSOLUTE BARGIN, especially considering it is only 5-10min walk from the city centre. I would definitely stay there again and suggest that anyone else do the same.

Stayed October 2006