All reviewsfantastic hosteldecent towelsvending machine for drinkscommon roomsmall extra chargedorm roomquiet residential streetcity centreshower and toiletbudget accommodationnice loungewell equipped kitchenlovely gardenfilter coffeetoiletries providedbus stationclean rooms
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

I didn’t really know what to expect for such a low price but when attending a conference in Canterbury I knew £35 was as far as my budget would stretch. My sense of direction isn’t great but a friendly local pretty much escorted me to Kipps! Thereafter, once I’d got my bearings, it was quite straight forward getting in and out of town. I had a single room with a wash station, hairdryer, towels, LG TV, tea making facilities, fan and heater. The bed was really comfortable and the room was clean with much attention to detail. The WC and shower room were clean and functional. My expectations of a very basic and cell-like room were hugely exceeded! The hostel has a lovely outdoor space with lots of seating, an obviously attentive gardener has imbibed more than a touch of class and imagination there! There is an indoor wooden seating area (think medieval banquet style), a well resourced and homely kitchen and an airy lounge. I treated myself to the breakfast and was met with a buffet of good filter coffee, crumpets, toast, scones, spreads and cereals! I asked for soya milk and the friendly receptionist met my request quickly (and with a smile). All of this for £2.50! It was heavenly to breakfast in tranquility in the sunshine. I really couldn’t recommend this place enough and whilst I had no further ‘business’ in Canterbury I could easily of stayed another night or two. Thank you for a lovely stay! Jen ☺️

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
kippscanterbury, Manager at Kipps, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Hi Glad we exceeded your expectations

Thanks for your comments and rating.
Hope to see you another time, on your next conference in Canterbury

Regards

Reviewed 12 June 2018

Warning: You must have Photo ID to be allowed to check in. They are very strict about this.

It's a hostel with a number of single rooms. Breakfast is excellent value (ask for the yoghurt if it's not visible) and includes cereals, juice, crumpets and scones, as well as a good variety of spreads (both Marmite & Vegemite!). The single room I had was very small with no space to put stuff, and nowhere to sit apart from on the bed, but there's a common lounge and kitchen area downstairs, with a communal dining table, and seats in the garden too. It's a bit short on toilets for the number of residents but otherwise is perfectly acceptable.

The location is convenient about 15 minutes walk from the centre of Canterbury or 25 minutes from the railway station. There are plenty of pubs and shops within easy walking distance. There are two car parking space at the front, but free on-street parking nearby. If you have a cycle the parked cars usually block the cycle rack, but they'll let you carry your bike through to the back where it's quite secure.

It's not suitable for wheelchair users due to a small flight of steps to get to the front door.

Rooms at the front are single glazed so suffer from some traffic noise (but it's quiet road) on the 25 bus route.

Room Tip: Back may be quieter
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
kippscanterbury, Manager at Kipps, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Hi

We ask for ID ( we do email before and is on all booking sites) for all guests security. Otherwise we could have anyone staying if we do not know who they are .
We assumed all guests would be happy we ask for ID before we check guests in for security purposes ?

Your comments are nice and detailed, and thanks for staying with us at Kipps Canterbury

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

I was in Canterbury, for an one day job, but I prefers to stay in and travel back the next day, I DID NOT REGRET it at all, the staff was friendly all the areas were spotless and the room (28) was perfect. If they decide to get private toilets they will have a 4 star hotel easily. Congratulations for the great job

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
kippscanterbury, Manager at Kipps, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Hi
Thank you for your nice comments and 5 star rating.
Glad you enjoyed your stay

Regards

Reviewed 27 February 2018

I have stayed at Kipps several times previously but not for a few years prior to my recent trip. I found it similar to previous visits but that many small changes have been made adding up to a positive improvement. The house remains much the same but my single room was of a high standard and with all facilities except en suite, but remembering this is essentially a backpackers hostel and not a hotel this is only to be expected. The room had a very comfortable bed, tea/coffee making facilities, television, a sink and even a small safe for valuables. Aside from single rooms there are twin and family size rooms, plus shared dormitories available, all at very reasonable prices. There is a kitchen available for the use of guests, I believe also facilities to do one's laundry, though I'm not sure about that, plus there's a lounge with TV and internet. Continental breakfast is available to order if required but tea/coffee is free in any case. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the location of the premises is only a few minutes walk from the train/bus stations and the town centre. I have no hesitation in recommending Kipps Canterbury to all wishing an economical and comfortable place to stay. Kipps also operate another hostel in Brighton and based on my latest experience in the Canterbury one I certainly will be visiting this other hostel later this year, as soon as the weather makes a seaside visit worthwhile.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank oriondruid
kippscanterbury, Manager at Kipps, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Hi
Thank you for your great review, and detailed decription

Glad you enjoyed your stay at Kipps Canterbury

Hopefully see you again Soon

Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed here with my eight year old child and we were very impressed. We were given the room at the top with twin beds and three bunk beds. The room had an en suite and was immaculate. The shower was amazing. The room had bags of quirky character and because it is an old building I found it quite chilly but because they had various heaters in the room it wasn't as cold as it could've been. Take a jumper if you stay in the top room. The facilities were top rate for budget accommodation. Tea and coffee facilities and nice touches like toothbrush and showergel . Downstairs was a well equpped kitchen and a nice lounge with a vending machine for drinks and food. staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough. I definitely would stay again and highly recommend.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
kippscanterbury, Manager at Kipps, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Hi
Thank you for your lovely review and rating.

We look forward to welcoming you back, and dont worry about wearing a jumper in the top room :), we installed new radiators in the room a few days ago, so nice and hot and cosy now. See you again soon