“Really good value for a B and B”

and 1 more site!
University Of Kent - Rutherford College
Melbourne, Australia
“Really good value for a B and B”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed here as I had a car, and wanted a place with parking. The dining room looks over the Canterbury Cathedral. The b and b breakfast was nice - however, when I asked about a lift to get my luggage back up to the top level when I was leaving, I was informed by one of the kitchen staff that it wasn't a hotel. No kidding, that had escaped me. Of course I knew that. However, I presume being a college, they might have catered for those in wheelchairs - ie would have a lift. It would be good to ask about how to get your luggage to other floors via lifts. I requested and was given a really quiet room. I didn't seen anyone else on my floor/wing, although I know there were others there. There was a little kitchenette - but you need your own cutlery and plate. The room was spacious and mine had a little hand basin, which was nice. The toilet and shower are separate and very dated. But it is cheap, so be kind. The porters are really helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Also ask how you get your luggage to your floor without using the stairs.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The college is only open as an hotel during Easter and Summer recesses, but they offer B&B facilities that are very competitvely priced. I had a single room with shared bathroom, but the rooms do not have handbasins. There is a single toilet and two shower units between about 6 rooms and I was always able to use the facilities when needed.
Very clean place and staff are very helpful at Reception. Towels and soap are provided. Being a university there are always others around to ask if you need help.
Breakfast was great and just what you would expect for a 'Full English' with plenty to eat and well presented. B&B guests are to one side of the main dining hall and have their own servery.
The location is perfect and the grounds are very nice to wander round. On a nice day you can walk down into Canterbury in about 20 mins.
Top Tip! Take your bike if you can. The college is at the top of a hill and the run down into Canterbury is nearly all on purpose built pathways. The ride back is more energitic and I struggled a bit on my small folding bike, but you can always have a shower when you get back.
Would I stay there again? YES!

Room Tip: Any room is okay. I was in E2E-1
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo