“People Centred Premier Inn”

Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Narberth
“People Centred Premier Inn”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed for six nights at this Premier Inn in central Canterbury. Normally we do not stay so long in a hotel like this but because we were at a conference we prolonged our visit. This gave us time to experience more of what it was like to stay at this hotel.

What struck us at every turn was the willingness of the staff to work with their customers and to solve problems or answer questions. I have stayed in a number of Premier Inns and staff are usually friendly but on this occasion staff went a step further, going out of their way in providing a good customer service.

The hotel is situated next door to a convenient Tesco express and ATM bank facility and not far from the city centre. If you want to park you will need to locate to a nearby Carpark where the hotel has negotiated a daily rate for its customers, all though there are one or two disabled spaces.

It was clear to us that there was room for improvement in delivering breakfast. The two times we ate breakfast in the hotel, there were no croissants, the bread and juices were running out, and we had to wait for the bacon beans etc to be replenished. I could easily complain about the lack of variety in breads and pastries, selection of fruit etc, but that in some ways would be superficial. because what struck me was the lack of management and oversight in the restaurant area. The staff were all working very hard to try and fill the gaps. One embarrassed and helpful member of staff explained that two managers had recently moved on and had not been replaced. I have seen something like this before where big national companies do not keep track of what is happening at the customer level. It feels like complacency at its best and contempt for the customer at its worst. The hotel deserves better and it will soon lose any reputation it has if it cannot provide a decent breakfast for the price it charges. Having said all that when I did receive a cooked breakfast it was very well cooked and prepared.

I do hope that these issues can get sorted out. The staff the ambience and the position of the hotel were all very good. I note one previous review of mentioning the need to go out of your way and round the roundabout to access the hotel by car. This is accurate but it's not too far only down the road and for me the proximity of the hotel to the city centre by far outweighed this slight inconvenience. Air conditioning was a distinct plus for the whole humid week we stayed.
Thank you Premier Inn Canterbury and all your staff for making our visit very pleasant indeed.

Room Tip: Room 401 a great view of the Cathedral
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Having endured 4 nights in this place I fail to see why it gets so high on the tripadvisor listing. It is a lot of show and little substance.

Possibly the biggest mistake is staying here for more than one night. Though the charge per night does not vary, the standard of treatment, for those staying, does.

To start with, the access is awkward and unless you care to break the rules of the road and skirt illegally around a central reservation (which many do) one has to drive away from it for a few hundred yards, around a roundabout and back to their setdown area. However you cannot leave your vehicle here but have to once again go around the houses to park in a car park away from the hotel site. And you pay £6 a day for the privilege. Other hotels have on-site free parking!

Next the room. No drawers to put your smalls etc. No razor socket in the bathroom. You are supposed to get 30 minutes free wifi. In the 4 days I was there I may have got 10 minutes. The rest of the time it was unavailable. We were told at check-out (and not before) that it was a problem across all Premier Inns. Talk about keeping you guests informed.!

There was air-con in the room but it had a fixed temperature and though it looked like you could adjust it to the temperature of your choice, it could not go below 19 degrees and rapidly defaulted back to 22 degrees when you walked away. So it was Hobsons choice. And you couldn't open the window.

Breakfast was a buffet. Either continental or full, but you could pay for the cheaper one and help yourself. There was no separation. The only problem was that many items regularly ran out and were unavailable.

When I returned on the first afternoon the room has just been serviced. At 5 pm. The next day, it hadn't been serviced at all. Having pointed this out to the front desk, I sat in the bar area for an hour to give them a chance to deal with the problem. By 6 pm it still hadn't been done. The story was that as we were staying, they had prioritised the rooms for those checking in and I was an after-thought. But I was still being charged the same.

It may be clean and it may be modern but neither of these makes a hotel. At £112.50 per night for B&B (continental) and car parking and little or no wifi, this is not a cheap option, nor good value. I get better value elsewhere in Canterbury so I will not be going back here. And definitely don't make the mistake and stay more than one night!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MikeJL59
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.
middlesex
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Definitely worth staying here as it has everything you need for a comfortable stay. I stayed for 5 days and would say it is like a home from home (without your creature comforts around you). I liked the fact it had a bath with a shower over it. I have stayed at the nearby Travel Lodge and they only have a shower. It was lovely to end the day of conferences and go back to the room for a relaxing bath. The bed does what it says on the advert. It was so comfortable and I had a lovely nights sleep. The hotel was quiet both inside and outside. I was on the fourth floor and rarely did I hear people passing in the corridor. My only criticism is the parking situation. You are allowed 15 minutes to unload your belongings by parking in the rear of the hotel. You then have to pay £6 per day to park your car in the nearby car park. I have to keep going back to the car to change the date of the ticket which was a bit of a nuisance. Overall though I would say that this hotel was excellent value and very clean.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Perfectly located at a 5 min walk from the historic and pittoresque city centre we enjoyed a warm welcome by the wonderfull staff. We spent two quiet and very comfortable nights, enjoyed a second to none service quality and a rich breakfast buffet.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in graduation week. Typical premier inn. Good location and public car park near by which was good value if you buy a £6 voucher from the hotel. Room was fine but my wife could not sleep the first night so we asked about the no questions no quibble money back guarantee. After a couple of questions we were refunded the price of the first night. So the guarantee is perfectly genuine which is very good indeed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrewgp1
Smethwick
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed for two nights and in terms of placement and interior this is a fine hotel. The room was nice too but then we started to notice a few things that let the side down a little. Things like the soap dispenser was empty, there was only one large towel for the two of us to share. When I told reception they gave us another towel but the following day there was only one again! Then my wife tried to use the hairdryer and smoke started to come out etc etc etc. To be fair they were kind enough to say they will refund a nights stay but I hope they sort the 'service room' issues as this has much potential.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elvis123
Battle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I recently spent two nights at the Canterbury City Centre Premier Inn with friends. We found the hotel easily and parked temporarily at the back of the hotel whilst I went to reception to book in an buy a parking ticket for the car park just down the road at a discounted rate.

The hotel itself is nearly new and the rooms to the usual high standard of Premier Inn. The staff were exceptional, both in reception and in the restaurant. Everything was done with a smile and nothing too much trouble.

The hotel is withing easy walking distance to the City centre.

Will certainly stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the cathedral
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends