“Wonderful Stay”

Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Felt welcomed upon arrival and service provided was excellent. We found the standards of room, general décor, ambiance, etc. to be of an improved spec, and certainly left us feeling that our stay was in a 4/5 star Hotel Chain.
All the staff we met were very accommodating and contributed greatly in making sure that our stay was relaxing, enjoyable, secure, and completely hassle-free. We had excellent service from the restaurant and bar staff. In particular Louise in the restaurant was delightful with the children and provided excellent service (thank you!).
Overall, wonderful staff, good service, nice & clean facilities, excellent location. Very comfortable stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was our first time in the city and we booked the Premier Inn based on previous good experiences; we were not disappointed with our choice. My only minor issue was with the car parking. Although the car park was only 2 minutes down the road, you have to pay £6 every day to renew your ticket which can be inconvenient when you are out for the day and have to come back just to make sure that you don't run out of time. On the positive side, the room was spacious, clean and well equipped, the staff were helpful and the 5-7 Happy Hour from Mon-Thurs made a good start to our evenings. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the all the bars, restaurants, pubs and city attractions. Although the Travelodge is 2 minutes closer to the city center and does have its own car park, I have always been happy with the Premier Inn and would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jolly_holidays_10
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We reviewed this hotel after we stayed here in March this year. We would have given it eleven out of ten if we could...everything then was fantastic.
We've just got back from a return visit and unfortunately were really disappointed.
It's obvious that the place is seriously short of staff. While I sympathise with their predicament, it's really affected the overall experience.
Had a meal in the restaurant one evening. Seemed like most tables, like us, were having issues with poorly cooked food. The restaurant staff were really apologetic, but even they admitted that the chef was really poor.
Must say that we were given a voucher for a free meal next time we stay, which is a nice touch.
I really hope they can turn things around and get back to their previous high standards.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank electrocoven
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Pleasant enough 2 night stay. Convenient for the City centre, but no on-site parking. Cars may be left overnight in a council owned site (subsidised rate) 3 mins walk away. Wifi ought to be free unlimited.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed for six nights at this Premier Inn in central Canterbury. Normally we do not stay so long in a hotel like this but because we were at a conference we prolonged our visit. This gave us time to experience more of what it was like to stay at this hotel.

What struck us at every turn was the willingness of the staff to work with their customers and to solve problems or answer questions. I have stayed in a number of Premier Inns and staff are usually friendly but on this occasion staff went a step further, going out of their way in providing a good customer service.

The hotel is situated next door to a convenient Tesco express and ATM bank facility and not far from the city centre. If you want to park you will need to locate to a nearby Carpark where the hotel has negotiated a daily rate for its customers, all though there are one or two disabled spaces.

It was clear to us that there was room for improvement in delivering breakfast. The two times we ate breakfast in the hotel, there were no croissants, the bread and juices were running out, and we had to wait for the bacon beans etc to be replenished. I could easily complain about the lack of variety in breads and pastries, selection of fruit etc, but that in some ways would be superficial. because what struck me was the lack of management and oversight in the restaurant area. The staff were all working very hard to try and fill the gaps. One embarrassed and helpful member of staff explained that two managers had recently moved on and had not been replaced. I have seen something like this before where big national companies do not keep track of what is happening at the customer level. It feels like complacency at its best and contempt for the customer at its worst. The hotel deserves better and it will soon lose any reputation it has if it cannot provide a decent breakfast for the price it charges. Having said all that when I did receive a cooked breakfast it was very well cooked and prepared.

I do hope that these issues can get sorted out. The staff the ambience and the position of the hotel were all very good. I note one previous review of mentioning the need to go out of your way and round the roundabout to access the hotel by car. This is accurate but it's not too far only down the road and for me the proximity of the hotel to the city centre by far outweighed this slight inconvenience. Air conditioning was a distinct plus for the whole humid week we stayed.
Thank you Premier Inn Canterbury and all your staff for making our visit very pleasant indeed.

Room Tip: Room 401 a great view of the Cathedral
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Having endured 4 nights in this place I fail to see why it gets so high on the tripadvisor listing. It is a lot of show and little substance.

Possibly the biggest mistake is staying here for more than one night. Though the charge per night does not vary, the standard of treatment, for those staying, does.

To start with, the access is awkward and unless you care to break the rules of the road and skirt illegally around a central reservation (which many do) one has to drive away from it for a few hundred yards, around a roundabout and back to their setdown area. However you cannot leave your vehicle here but have to once again go around the houses to park in a car park away from the hotel site. And you pay £6 a day for the privilege. Other hotels have on-site free parking!

Next the room. No drawers to put your smalls etc. No razor socket in the bathroom. You are supposed to get 30 minutes free wifi. In the 4 days I was there I may have got 10 minutes. The rest of the time it was unavailable. We were told at check-out (and not before) that it was a problem across all Premier Inns. Talk about keeping you guests informed.!

There was air-con in the room but it had a fixed temperature and though it looked like you could adjust it to the temperature of your choice, it could not go below 19 degrees and rapidly defaulted back to 22 degrees when you walked away. So it was Hobsons choice. And you couldn't open the window.

Breakfast was a buffet. Either continental or full, but you could pay for the cheaper one and help yourself. There was no separation. The only problem was that many items regularly ran out and were unavailable.

When I returned on the first afternoon the room has just been serviced. At 5 pm. The next day, it hadn't been serviced at all. Having pointed this out to the front desk, I sat in the bar area for an hour to give them a chance to deal with the problem. By 6 pm it still hadn't been done. The story was that as we were staying, they had prioritised the rooms for those checking in and I was an after-thought. But I was still being charged the same.

It may be clean and it may be modern but neither of these makes a hotel. At £112.50 per night for B&B (continental) and car parking and little or no wifi, this is not a cheap option, nor good value. I get better value elsewhere in Canterbury so I will not be going back here. And definitely don't make the mistake and stay more than one night!

Room Tip: Try another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank MikeJL59
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel fell far short of your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please be assured that the issues raised will be fully investigated. Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Definitely worth staying here as it has everything you need for a comfortable stay. I stayed for 5 days and would say it is like a home from home (without your creature comforts around you). I liked the fact it had a bath with a shower over it. I have stayed at the nearby Travel Lodge and they only have a shower. It was lovely to end the day of conferences and go back to the room for a relaxing bath. The bed does what it says on the advert. It was so comfortable and I had a lovely nights sleep. The hotel was quiet both inside and outside. I was on the fourth floor and rarely did I hear people passing in the corridor. My only criticism is the parking situation. You are allowed 15 minutes to unload your belongings by parking in the rear of the hotel. You then have to pay £6 per day to park your car in the nearby car park. I have to keep going back to the car to change the date of the ticket which was a bit of a nuisance. Overall though I would say that this hotel was excellent value and very clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business