“The BEST B&B in Canterbury!”
Review of Tudor House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canterbury
Tudor House
Ranked #28 of 73 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The Tudor House on Best Lane is truly the best in Canterbury! Mamad and Mazi always make my groups feel comfortable and right at home. This is a 500-year-old house with so much history and character. It is centrally located inside the city walls and is just a short walk to all that Canterbury has to offer the traveler. Two rail stations are also in short walking distance. The warm and friendly owners always provide a comfortable room, a delicious breakfast cooked to order, and any help which they can provide. They make dinner reservations for us and are available for travel advice or anything else which we might have a question about. During my visit, I was having a problem with my bank back home, and Mamad went out of his way to help me sort out the problem. I could not ask for lovelier hosts, and I never will because I will never stay anywhere but the Tudor House while I am in Canterbury. The house and the owners truly are the BEST!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Very loud at nights during the weekend, if you want to sleep better stay some where else like the owner told us (rude!!!). Not happy at all with the staff, room was ok for one night, location was good but how we were treated spoiled everything..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2012

My husband and I had planned a weekend visit to Canterbury at the worst time : the week end all parents were taking their children to college ! Tudor House had a small, but confortable and clean room to offer, for a very reasonable price. Good breakfast too.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ximena P
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Have been using Tudor House for the last 3 years. Throughout have been given excellent service, clean rooms, fantastic location and assistance

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jsr28
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed at Tudor House with my family (3 people) for a few days recently. I can just say that we had the best time we ever imagined in Canterbury thanks to our hosts at Tudor House. The room was perfect; quiet and clean, large, comfortable beds, good and spacious bathroom. The building had a lot of character. The hosts were wonderful and helpful. The breakfast was fantastic. The B&B's internet wifi reception was really good (this is a necessity these days.) The location was really great at Canterbury city centre. The car park was close enough, only a couple of minutes walk. What else can I say?
I had lived in Canterbury about 25 years ago during my student years. It was great to be back and have such a wonderful time in this beautiful city, thanks to Mazi and Mamad, our really kind and wonderful hosts at Tudor House.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Marjan K
Reviewed 8 June 2012

The host is very nice; however, this place is TINY and very old/outdated. Breakfast was nice but was disappointed with the facilities.

Room Tip: Top floor room is cold and small but has access to toilet that is not shared by others. Bathroom has...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2012

It's not so much fun to write an average review about an establishment which is clean, accommodating, has affable hosts and is in a great location. It's so much more enjoyable to rave about a great place and rant about a dump.

We had a twin/twin room with it's own bath. I much rather would have used the shared bath; the shared bath was larger and brighter. The ensuite bath was small, dark, dingy, but the important parts were clean. (There was dust on exposed pipes.)

The shower controls were easy to use. Hooks are needed! There was no place in the bathroom to rest one's clothes and towels that didn't put them at risk for falling on the floor. The carpet in the bathroom (not a good idea to begin with) at least was without any urine odor.

The front of the B+B, the dining area and the general wonkiness of the floors/stairs are the most charming aspects of the building. Inside it mostly looks as though the decor from the 1950s has been updated to the 1990s. There isn't peeling paint, and the carpet is in good repair.

There was an obvious effort to supply the traveler with basic needs- each twin bed had a bedside bureau with a lamp, there were two chairs, two pillows per bed, and a tea tray. The poor little TV (why even bother with TVs?) was from another era. It was absolutely delightful to have the bells of Canterbury Cathedral drown out the commercials. There is a fair amount of noise from the street and the next-door business, but that's to be expected in such an urban setting. I am grateful the window opened wide to let in air, even though that also lets in noise (but, again, the street noise was sweetened by cathedral bells).

There isn't a lounge, which doesn't seem like a desirable feature when sitting at home planning a trip, but I learned that having a lounge means there's a place to escape to, and relax in, other than one's twin bed. And lounges are great for exchanging info with other travelers.

The twin/twin is a little cramped and lacks open surface space-having a lounge would have helped ease some of the claustrophobia. I doubt there is room for a lounge.

The Tudor House is a basic, clean, very old building in an excellent central spot with a typical breakfast and nice hosts. Nothing fancy, all very functional.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family