“The place to stay if in Canterbury”

Yorke Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2013

If you visit Canterbury, there is no finer place to stay than Yorke lodge. From the location, a 10 minutes stroll to town, to the beauty of the house, a fine breakfast, andt the care that Vicky extends to her guests you will not find a better place. I was travelling with a family member who was visiting Canterbury university and Vicky could not be more helpful with her directions to our location and to other amenities in the area. Her assistance prior to and during our stay really took the pressure of our short trip. It was like a home away from home.
I could not recoomend Yorke Lodge highly enough if you visit this beautiful city.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maireadnewlands

Reviewed 20 January 2013

I stayed at Yorke Lodge B & B whilst on a induction course at the University of Kent. Throughout my stay I felt at home. It was very comfortable and this I believe stemmed from the very clean and attractive rooms, as well as the service provided by Vicky. Excellent host who certainly knows how to look after her guests. Vicky would have my fresh milk ready every evening in a flask to take up to my room for my tea, as I did not prefer the long life milk that was already in my room. Lovely quality breakfast with a wide choice and great room service. My room would be cleaned when I returned up again following breakfast. I would highly recommend Yorke Hotel and would certainly return in the future.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Afsana K
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I picked this hotel from a list given to me by the University of Kent where i was studying for the week. The hotel is lovely and homely. Nothing is too much trouble for Vicky the friendly and helpful owner. Cosy clean rooms with tea making facilities, biscuits and sweets!! Substantial breakfast with lots of choice. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth186364
Reviewed 3 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Yorke Lodge recently and found the accommodation to be luxurious, spacious and very peaceful. We enjoyed the stay and would recommend this as the perfect location for visiting Canterbury and the surrounding areas. The hostess, Vicki was very friendly and helpful with advice on what to see and do. There were also many good restaurants close by and tourist spots. The rooms were finished to a high standard and furnished with good taste.

The breakfast was worth the trip alone. Highly recommended.

Paul Davies

Room Tip: Ask for the one with the four poster bed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PaulDavieshistorian
Reviewed 11 November 2012

My husband, my 18-year old son and I stayed at Yorke Lodge the first week of the 2012 Olympics while our 16-year old daughter stayed in Kent Uni with her choir group. We were so happy we selected Yorke Lodge (based on internet research). Our room was spacious, sweet, and restful. We enjoyed the charming four-poster bedroom with a lovely view of the garden and beautiful sunshine in the morning. The owner was very nice, friendly, and accommodating; she made sure we were comfortable and that all our needs were met. The full English breakfast was excellent -- the best I had from the various places we stayed during this 3-week trip in the UK. The proximity to the University was great and it was easy for us to get around from this location -- whether exploring Canterbury by foot, day trips by car, or treking into London by train. Canterbury is so wonderful and rich with history -- I loved every moment of it. Our stay at Yorke Lodge will be part of our memories of this once-in-a-lifetime trip for many years to come. It is very unlikely that we will be back from California in the near future, but we would definitely recommend the Yorke Lodge to anyone who enjoys the warmth and wonderfulness of a B&B experience. It was the experience I was looking for, and I thought it was well worth the price. Also -- the weather in late July - early August was fabulous.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights and my stay couldn't have been better. The hostess is accommodating and friendly and recommended some wonderful local restaurants serving fresh local produce. Breakfast was most enjoyable and my need for a gluten-free diet was easily accommodated. . Easy access to the university and a short walk to the city centre makes this an ideal location.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the back garden which provided a lovely outlook.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Wesley_10
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Though not equivalent to a five-star hotel in terms of services, spaciousness, and amenities, this five-star B&B has well earned its rating and is priced competitively with its neighbours which offer similar but not quite as well executed features. (Perhaps that's why the University of Kent books its guests here.) The emphasis is on quiet comfort; any guests who were so loud as to be anti-social would not be tolerated, and reception closes by 10pm unless any guests have arranged a late check-in. Do not expect any hifi systems or televisions or loud bars - or in fact any bars at all! - here (though if you are looking for a pub, you can find one on St Dunstan's Street a few minutes' walk away, as just about everything in central Canterbury is but a few minutes' walk away). Every detail is top quality, well maintained, and spotlessly clean, from the comfortable beds to the snugly fitting shower door - and the maid nipped in every morning so that my bed was made up even before I had finished breakfast! If you have a chat with the very friendly proprietor she can tell you stories all about who else has been staying there and what they've been up to at the university. If you're a quietly social guest who really does want nothing but a comfortable bed and a hearty breakfast, at a price equivalent to those of neighbouring, somewhat lesser-rated B&B's, then this is the B&B for you.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business