All reviewscomfy bedprivate parkingwould stay here againvisited canterburybiscuitsa lovely place to stayfree parkingexcellent breakfastcity centrefridgenoiseensuitebath
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Nice place, shame about the ultra early 10am check out time - WAY too early for a Sunday morning. Dinner and drinks on Saturday night meant that we were tired all day Sunday. Breakfast was 8-9 also a bit early for a weekend. Other than that very nice and very friendly staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gnesne
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I came to settle my daughter into Kent University and stayed at the Clare Ellen Guest House for six days, after which I went to London and then came back for one night. I could not have felt more welcome. The proprietor was genuinely concerned for my comfort and even allowed me to leave some luggage when I went to London at no extra cost. This establishment is run professionally with just the right amount of homeliness to make even the most wary traveler feel safe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank corinne b
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Clare Ellen Guest House for a three night break to explore Canterbury and the surrounding area.We found the staff very welcoming and helpful and our room was ready even though we were early.Off road parking for the car made life easier to transport our luggage to our room.We had a twin room to the front that was very clean and comfortable and also quiet at night.
Be aware that the internal staircases are quite steep and could be difficult for young families and older people.
The breakfast was outstanding and the staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble!.All in all a very pleasant stay and would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank brian b
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Well, I can only say what I usually say! We return to the Clare Ellen every year, and love it. It is a good walk along Wincheap into the centre, but the price of the B&B reflects the location, and we quite enjoy the walk, watching the cathedral appear over the rooftops. I thought all the rooms were refurbished but reading some of the other reviews I was wrong. The rooms that are are fresh and clean white with green accents (used to be sugar pink!) and the fridge is a great idea - we buy fresh milk and orange juice for an early morning drink. Breakfast is a hearty full English, but they will try to accommodate you if you just want poached egg or similar. And there is free Wi-Fi. There is a small car park at the back, or street parking. We have never had any real difficulty parking here. The landlord and staff are very hands on, and so friendly. I would recommend the Clare Ellen without a doubt. It is a home from home

Room Tip: Room 3 ( a double) has a bath - as well as a shower. Great after a long country walk
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TopTapir
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This bed & breakfast is a nice Victorian old house. As I used to live in England and know how difficult is to keep old houses in good condition, I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanness of this one. Most rooms have been renovated, not the one assigned to us, but in spite of that it was very clean and well cared. The manager (owner) is a very kind and welcoming person and is prompt to comply with your needs and wishes. His assistant is also working well to keep you comfortable. They serve a variety of freshly prepared breakfast, generous and ready as fast as possible. The location is just a few minutes on foot to the Canterbury centre (all pedestrian area) and is a quiet street, so no noise at night, good sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if possible, the old ones are a bit weird in their shape and shower is not so comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple