All reviews comfy bed private parking would stay here again visited canterbury biscuits a lovely place to stay free parking excellent breakfast city centre fridge noise ensuite bath
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed 3 nights at Clare Ellen and found the B&B to be very good. Excellent off street parking at the rear of the property - a bonus when Canterbury is full of double yellow lines everywhere! The Owner was very helpful and knowledgeable about the area and restaurants, albeit we had chosen the latter from TA reviews and were not disappointed. The room was very clean and tidy with nice furniture, albeit the bed was a touch on the hard side for our liking - albeit there is nothing like ones own bed!. Excellent choice of cooked breakfasts - from full English, through the variations such as a bacon sandwich etc, and the Owner was very accommodating to special requests regarding 'modifications' to the choice. Although there were cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurt also available it would have been nice to have a few Danish pastries and/or croissants available just to give a bit more variety especially on a longer stay. But all-in-all a great place to stay, quiet and only 10 mins walk to the city.

Room Tip: Some (single) rooms may have an external bathroom - albeit still private usage.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Nice place, shame about the ultra early 10am check out time - WAY too early for a Sunday morning. Dinner and drinks on Saturday night meant that we were tired all day Sunday. Breakfast was 8-9 also a bit early for a weekend. Other than that very nice and very friendly staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gnesne
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I came to settle my daughter into Kent University and stayed at the Clare Ellen Guest House for six days, after which I went to London and then came back for one night. I could not have felt more welcome. The proprietor was genuinely concerned for my comfort and even allowed me to leave some luggage when I went to London at no extra cost. This establishment is run professionally with just the right amount of homeliness to make even the most wary traveler feel safe.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank corinne b
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Clare Ellen Guest House for a three night break to explore Canterbury and the surrounding area.We found the staff very welcoming and helpful and our room was ready even though we were early.Off road parking for the car made life easier to transport our luggage to our room.We had a twin room to the front that was very clean and comfortable and also quiet at night.
Be aware that the internal staircases are quite steep and could be difficult for young families and older people.
The breakfast was outstanding and the staff were very attentive and nothing was too much trouble!.All in all a very pleasant stay and would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank brian b
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Well, I can only say what I usually say! We return to the Clare Ellen every year, and love it. It is a good walk along Wincheap into the centre, but the price of the B&B reflects the location, and we quite enjoy the walk, watching the cathedral appear over the rooftops. I thought all the rooms were refurbished but reading some of the other reviews I was wrong. The rooms that are are fresh and clean white with green accents (used to be sugar pink!) and the fridge is a great idea - we buy fresh milk and orange juice for an early morning drink. Breakfast is a hearty full English, but they will try to accommodate you if you just want poached egg or similar. And there is free Wi-Fi. There is a small car park at the back, or street parking. We have never had any real difficulty parking here. The landlord and staff are very hands on, and so friendly. I would recommend the Clare Ellen without a doubt. It is a home from home

Room Tip: Room 3 ( a double) has a bath - as well as a shower. Great after a long country walk
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple