“Welcoming place with good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A La Turka

A La Turka
Ranked #7 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Romantic, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
London, United Kingdom
“Welcoming place with good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The staff do not only run the place, they take care of you. Owner welcomed us at door and all staff were attentive and friendly. Turkish chefs used quality ingredients, like very tasty feta and homemade sauces, to produce good Turkish dishes. We had a great experience and would definitely go back.

Visited May 2014

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth going back”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We decided to give it a go after checking previous reviews and as a prelude to an evening in the Marlowe Theatre. There are plenty of veggie choices, especially amongst the mezze. The dishes seemed to be freshly prepared and good-sized portions. I had kisir which was intensely flavoured and excellent, not something I would often say about a wheat-based dish. There was probably more cheese than I would always find a good idea (on top of imam bayeldi and inside my wife's boregi. We had 2 salads, which was probably a mistake in the UK at this time of year. We got out in plenty of time for the theatre, slightly overfed, and look forward to giving it another go.
How does it compare with Istanbul, a few hundred metres away? A bit early to say - Istanbul's a better space (less narrow) but we've been pleasantly impressed with both. It's one of those absurdities that you wait years for a Turkish restaurant to come along and then 2 come along at once, but given the disappearance of Apeksha/Chatni they could replace some of our curries out!

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Food good, service needs working on”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We dropped in a couple of weekends ago. Half way through our order the waitress walked off to welcome more customers. Found this a little rude as there were other people who could go, also when asking about ingredients in food to confirm no hidden items as never been there before found waitress impatient and a little condescending- at least 1 in 10 people have a form of food intolerance when eating out and will ask about their food particularly for gluten intolerance.
Also clearing plates would be great if didn't stack on one side of the table, the dirty plates nearly ended up in E's lap!
We ordered chicken and Adana kebabs with hummus. Hummus was a little strong with the garlic for us but kebabs were good. Probably need to iron out a few things as just opened.

1 Thank EandC7
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We came in without booking. I was so glad. The food was very good and good value. the staff knew exactly when to attend to the table. I cannot say no more than BRILLIANT.

“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Noticed this restaurant had opened and decided to visit. It is quite small and the tables quite close together, so don't necessarily head to for an intimate moment - the food though, was simply amazing and plenty of it. I think I had to unbutton the jeans after the starter lol If I had one thing to pass on to the team, who were very welcoming and friendly, is that your menu needs some time to look through, so please let me take the time (although I have to say I had a difficult time in choosing as everything sounded scrummy). Have to go back to try the things I didn't try on this visit!