“Central location, great value”
Review of The White House

The White House
Ranked #7 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Herts
“Central location, great value”
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Compared to the hotels in Canterbury this B&B offers great value for money with comfortable rooms and excellent breakfast.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable with a variety of different pillows which I like.

If you're staying for longer than one night I would recommend one of the larger rooms.

Little things like no indiviual shampoo and conditioners, only two milk pots and no radiator in the bathroom (only a heated towel rail) prevent this from being rated 5/5, however overall we had a good stay and would return.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Formby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The White House is a beautiful old house with all modern amenities and furnishings, but retaining the character and charm of this listed building. It is within easy walking distance from the two railway stations and the bus station, in a peaceful side road, yet only minutes from the hustle and bustle of the main street.
Our on- suite room was spotlessly clean and comfortable. The tea/coffee making facility in the room was complimented by the provision of bottled water. This is, in my opinion, an important facility but not one that is found in many such establishments.
Adrian, our host, was extremely attentive and helpful with his local knowledge. Breakfast was excellent; freshly and individually cooked using quality ingredients.
We enjoyed our three night stay and to sum up I would suggest you look at the excellent White House web site - what you see is what you will get.
There is an abundance of eating establishments in Canterbury, but if one is looking for a traditional style pub offering excellent freshly cooked food we would recommend the Millers' Arms; only a few minutes walk from the White House. Adrian will give you directions.

Dongara, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Looking at the map before I went to Canterbury I thought I was like a 15 minute walk from the centre of Canterbury How could I be more wrong. One minute away from main street with lots to see and 5 minutes walk from the Cathedral. Parking 2 minutes away at five pounds a day payable to owners of White House for special parking ticket. Although I had a top storey bedroom, the room was very clean and had all my needs. Shower was fantastic. Hosts friendly and breakfasts good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Fredericia, Denmark
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My wife and I had a pleasent stay at the White House in Canterbury. We really liked the nice room which was very clean and kept clean during our stay. The bathroom is excellent and much better than what we have seen elsewhere in the UK. I was working monday till wednesday and although breakfast was usually first served from eight they were flexible and I had my breakfast at 7.15, cerials and coffee for me :). Later my wife got her breakfast and a traditional english breakfast was available from 8.00-9.00. Adrian was very helpfull we had a nice chat with him several times, we or most of all my wife got good guidance of what to see and where to go. We can only recommend the White House to any guests.

worthing
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Spent two nights at The White House to visit our daughter who is at the university. I found Adrian our host very helpful throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble. He gave me some very useful tips on local places to eat and drink and the voucher he gave me for Chapmans Fish Restaurant saved us £15.00.(see my review for this but worth a visit if you like fish). The room (number 1) was very large, very clean and probably the largest bed I have ever stayed in. Only thing I would of liked was a bath. I had been looking to stay at the Abode but having looked at the prices decided two nights in The White House at £220 was far better value, as at the time of booking they could only offer me a room at almost double the cost. It was a good decision as the hotel was very centrally located. Parking in Canterbury is not great but Adrian supplied us with vouchers which meant we spent only £6.50 from Friday night through to Sunday morning, we could come and go as we liked and they could be used in several of the car parks, the closest which was only around 100 metres away.
Will be back again later in the year!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Port Erin
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We were in Canterbury to see the cathedral and to do some shopping. Arriving mid-afternoon when the town was full and bustling it was good to get to the White House which stands out in its surroundings and where the host and his wife gave us a warm welcome. They were pleasant and helpful throughout our stay. The house has a pleasing ambience with artistic decor and a small library for guests. The white sheets and covers were just right for the time of year and the information notes helpful.
The breakfast menu is varied and well cooked. Some fruit salad or grapefruit would be good as well as the fresh fruit provided. A pre-arranged dietary request was honoured and gentle background music gave a relaxed start to the day.
A few minutes walk will take you to the Cathedral, the shops, the Marlow Theatre, a river walk and a choice of places to eat. Overall......peacefull, artistic, comfortable and in a great location. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: No lift so choose your room accordingly. Stairs wide and shallow.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Let me start by being positive. The White House is lovely. Great rooms, good breakfast and overall somewhere I would stay again if it was run by someone else.

Unfortunately, the host was downright rude (down to not even shaking an offered hand!) and while trying to be funny, just came across as inappropriate. I think we were a nuisance to him. I hope for his sake it was an off day, but I certainly won't be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 1980Something
Adrian O, Owner at The White House, responded to this review, 30 September 2012
Firstly I am very sorry for the fact that in this instance the professionalism that myself and my wife pride ourselves on, has for some reason, not been your experience of The White House.
Perhaps when you arrived/left I was having an off day, but in truth I cannot recall ignoring the hand of any guest in the last week or so that was proffered, so if there has been a misundersatanding or I simply did not notice then I apologise unreservedely for a genuine error on my part.
One of the most satisyfying aspects of owning a B&B is meeting all sorts of people and I really enjoy talking to everyone and making sure their visit is as it should be, as I trust other reviews illustrate, so I can only apologise and ask perhaps as I am unsure which of our guests you are, you would be kind enough to contact me directly so I can do so personally.