“A great location and lovely place”
Review of The White House

The White House
Ranked #7 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Atlanta
“A great location and lovely place”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We found our visit here to be just right. The location is part of what is great. While it is just around the corner from the busy High Street, the White House is on a fairly quiet street and feels a bit removed from the business of town. My elderly mother was able to easily walk to the theater, the Cathedral and all the sights but feel like she had a place to get away and relax. The host was friendly and helpful. I really appreciated his help in details like calling a cab when we needed one and thinking through options in town. Regarding the rooms, we had two and both were very comfortable. Personally, I loved the style of the renovation and I found everything I needed in the room. Overall, it was a great place at a good price in an ideal locations. Enjoy your time in Canterbury.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank amyonoakdale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The white house has comfortable beds, cosy rooms and breakfast room, and outstanding customer service. I travel to Canterbury once or twice a year on business, and I never even think of booking anywhere else (unless the White House is full). The location is great for walking from rail station, and wandering around the town. Delicious breakfast served with a smile and just enough nice conversation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah H
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I'm always looking for smart, chic boutique accommodation whenever I'm travelling and search hard for the perfect city getaway.

I needed somewhere to stay last weekend (9th August) that was convenient to the train station and with decent proximity to the wedding venue (alas, not Canterbury cathedral - though that's literally a five minute walk from The Whitehouse).

The pictures on of the venue online don't quite do it justice. It's tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean with a genuine attention to the detail. Great breakfast too!

My major praise for The Whitehouse though goes to Adrian, who runs it with his wife. I felt that I was being personally welcomed into their home and observed that Adrian took the time to get to understand the needs of his guests.

A great example of his exemplary customer service is the fact that he knew I was attending a wedding at Preston Court, 20 minutes away, and, knowing I was running to a very tight schedule, took it upon himself to not only order me a taxi in advance of my arrival but had realised that there was a couple also staying at the Whitehouse who by coincidence were attending the same wedding - he introduced us and we shared the taxi!

Make this beautiful Grade II listed Regency house the place of choice when visiting Canterbury.

Paul

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room on the top floor which was lovely. I chatted to a couple who stayed all w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I recently visited Canterbury for a wedding and stayed at The White House for two nights. The b&b is lovely and we had a great stay. The owners could not have been more friendly or helpful - which made us feel very welcome.

The rooms are lovely and stylish. The Super King-size bed was also a big win!

The breakfasts each morning were also lovely - a choice of cereals, yoghurts, or a very yummy cooked breakfast.

One last thing to mention - the b&b is in a fab location - quiet road just off the main highstreet. Lots of restaurents nearby - as well as a car park.

We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My large family and I have enjoyed Adrian's warm hospitality in his hotel several times and loved it. At our last visit to Canterbury where we celebrated my daughter's graduation, one more time we revisited the hotel and enjoyed the personalized rooms, the very comfortable beds, the spotless en-suite bathrooms (I asked Adrian to the secret of such sparkle...), the delicious breakfast in the morning and the best coffee. A very special little hotel in a quiet location but a step away from the town centre and the most beautiful Cathedral. It should be everyone's choice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annamaria F
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently spent a Saturday night here and loved the central location of the White House which offers high levels of comfort in a very tastefully decorated establishment. We were warmly welcomed and pleasantly surprised that our room was ready despite our early arrival. The only downside was that at night there was a lot of noise from the street which did not subside until after 3.00 am. Of course, this is something completely beyond the owners' control and is doubtless the price to be paid for such an excellent location. Next time we will be sure to request a room at the back of the property!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the house.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was the perfect place for my dad and I. After a long journey from London and staying in a very basic hotel in Kensington and Chelsea with poor service the warm welcome from Adrian was so refreshing. He was extremely helpful and went out of his way to help us with every little thing, finding a place to eat, booking taxis, getting our clothes ironed and shoes cleaned. I had a lot of luggage and he helped us carry everything to our room. This is the kind of hospitality and service one dreams about on holiday. The breakfast was delicious and I cannot stress on how great the service was! It is well located within minutes from the city centre and the famous Canterbury Cathedral. I would go back there in a heart beat!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family