“Simple but delightful”

Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Right next to the Cathedral its got a stunning location. We got the feeling that its really aimed at people visiting the Cathedral and staying for a couple of nights possibly on a course or at a conference.The ambience is quiet and formal ..its not a bustling hotel by any means and there's a large framed picture of the Archbishop of Canterbury next to the reception desk which sets the tone of the place. This isn't meant as negative criticism. Its scrupulously clean and has all the essentials but apart from some hanging space in the bedroom there was no storage ..no drawers for clothes nor are there any cupboards so while not exactly austere it wasn't luxurious but at the price you couldn't complain at all . The price was very good and the staff superb.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wyvernWestSussex
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your stay with us at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and how pleased you were with the customer service. If you are considering a return visit at some point in the future, please can I suggest double checking the availability of our twin bedded rooms, which can be made up as double and benefit from additional storage space.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

James

Write a ReviewReviews (1,202)

Reviewed 29 January 2012

The Location of this hotel is fabulous in the grounds of the cathedral .It is close to the city so there are restaurants and shops to get food ,as the hotel only serves breakfast .
The rooms was spacious and clean and they put me with 2 rooms next door as requested ,for a family connecting rooms would have been a little better .
The hotel was a little tricky to find and we were in a sat nav black hole as when we tried to leave we could not get it to find our next destination .
I went to the Cathedral which was amazing especially as a nice guide showed us around ,so we learnt a lot .
I would stay there again ,no hesitation .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank britmumabroad
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of your stay here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear how much you liked the location and its proximity to all that Canterbury has to offer. Please accept my reassurances that we are working very hard on external signage to the hotel and are still in discussions with Local Planning Officers. I was also pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your tour of the Cathedral and will pass your positive feedback on to my colleagues in the Visits department.

Once again, thank you for you kind comments and we hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I enjoyed a really pleasant stay in a single room in the hotel over the weekend of 13-15 January 2012. It was good value for money; in a perfect setting in the grounds of the cathedral; clean, everything worked, the room had a tv, hair dryer, and iron and ironing board, kettle and tea/coffee etc, efficient towel rail, a radiator that could easily be turned up or down and windows that could be opened, plentiful hot water. There was plenty of food on offer for breakfast - cereal, fruit, yoghurt, croissants, pastries, ham, cheeses, decent bread with an efficient toaster for making your own toast. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The library was furnished with very comfortable sofas. I didn't need it but I noticed that a glass of wine or a hot drink could be ordered at reception. The lift came in handy as my suitcase would have been heavy to carry upstairs. I felt very safe staying there, especially knowing that the Cathedral precinct was locked after 9pm - entry after that time was accessible by ringing a bell at the gate, which I did and the security guards opened up for me with very little delay. An added bonus was free entry to the Cathedral as many times as I liked during the course of my stay (a saving of £9 each visit). I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The single room over the stairwell above reception overlooks the pleasant hotel courtyard and has a...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Genuine R
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive review of your time with us, showing future guests what they can expect from a stay here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear you had such a pleasant visit and hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

To stay in the grounds of the cathedral was awesome. It is a small hotel with no real facilities. But looking out on to the cathedral really makes this a special hotel. Rooms clean, breakfast was plentiful with a choice of full English to continental. Be careful if arriving using tomtom. Read carefully the instructions on the website (we didn't and got really lost is the streets of Canterbury which are narrow with deadends. Been right in the centre of Canterbury was fantastic for shopping n nightlife

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank jude-g73
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind comments about your recent stay with us here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I am sorry you experienced difficulty locating the hotel. Please accept my reassurances that we are working very hard to improve the current situation with
signage.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

My partner and I went here for a one night stay at the beginning of December. The location of the hotel is lovely but there isn't much to do really within it.

A summary of our stay - getting to the hotel was okay, we ended going past the entrance twice as it wasn't well sign posted. Once in we dropped off our bags and were given a 24 hour parking pass for a nearby car park, which was very reasonable st £5 was only a 5 minute walk away. I was nervous about leaving my car there but it survived.

When I checked in I was not very well greeted by a South African receptionist who in a nut shell I found quite rude. None the less we checked into the room which was two doors away from reception and it was pleasant. There was no bath : ( and the shower smelt of dampness which I did report on when we left.

The room had no information booklet ins o I went to reception to ask for one where I was told (by the rude receptionist) there is one in my room despite me saying there wasn't so I had to check again and yes you guessed it there still wasn't one.

The hotel offers deals on local restaurants which was handy as we went to Cafe Mauresque (which was lovely!) and had pre-booked this so to find out we got 15% off was an added bonus.

When we returned from the meal I thought it would be nice to sit in the hotel bar, have a drink together, only ti find there is no hotel bar or any where to really sit but the library...we had a J20 and went to bed.

Overall a nice stay but the room was tiny and staff not very friendly but location was lovely!

Also - added bonus you get a pass around Canterbury Cathedral included in the price and it is beautiful and must see! (you can't miss it either!)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
CCLManager, Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to give us an account of your recent stay with us at The Lodge.

I realise we can not be what everybody is looking for in a stay away from home, but we feel what we offer is a bit different and we are clear about this in our advertising. Although we do not have a bar, as such, we do offer a relaxing library where guests can enjoy a full beverage service.

As you mentioned, although we do not open our restaurant for evening meals, we have secured some great discounts in many of Canterbury's favorite eataries for our guests to choose from.

Our location makes us a perfect base for enjoying all Canterbury has to offer, including the Cathedral itself.

We do usually have a full information booklets in all of our bedrooms, but, due to a new telephone system being installed, and a change in extention numbers, this was being updated at the time of your stay.

As you will see from previous guest comments, we pride ourselves on excellent customer service and I feel disapointed that, on this occasion you where not happy with the welcome you received, especially as you comment on so many positive aspects of your stay.

I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Canterbury.

Yours sincerely

Sally

Reviewed 3 January 2012

What a start to 2012 !!! I`d never heard of this hotel, my husband booked it as a suprise. The hotel is yards from the Cathedral and after dark the view is spectacular, with the cathedral and surrounding buildings lit up. In the evenings you more or less have the place to yourself, as of course the public are not allowed in, so you can get some great photos, or just stroll around the grounds. There are loads of really good restaraunts to enjoy, and when you get back to the Cathedral grounds, you show a pass to the gatekeeper to be let in. Similary, you show your pass to gain free admission to the Cathedral. The decor in the Lodge is a bit `corperate` , but is clean and comfortable. Except for the bathrooms which are very small. The staff are great, friendly and helpful. The breakfast is the best I`ve ever had on this kind of trip. The ingredients for the cooked breakfast are top notch, herby sausages, thick bacon and scrambled eggs that havn`t been `watered` down with milk. Make sure you contact the Lodge before your trip to book your parking space!!!!!!! Essential !!!!!
And yes, it is poorly signposted, you have to go down a road that says `no entry`. Please, do yourself a favour, this is is the only way to explore Canterbury.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sushanna
CCLManager, Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge.

I will pass your comments on to our chef. He sources the finest locally produced ingredients and his dedicated team are some of the finest chefs I have ever worked with. They will be very pleased to hear your comments regarding breakfast.

Our special location allows us to mean many things to many people and I'm so pleased you will remember your stay with us fondly.

yours sinscerely

Sally
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 31 December 2011

We have just returned from staying at the lodge it is the grounds of the Cathedral,such a loverly setting and the location was perfect. You get free entry to the Cathedral [normally £9 per adult] The breakfast was excellent everything from full english down to danish pastries in the loverly restuarant.Staff could not do enough for you very accomondating

• Stayed: December 2011
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your constructive comments. I was delighted to hear you loved the location and were pleased with the quality of our food offering. Please accept my apologies for the mattress in your room. I can reassure you all our mattresses are a standard size and that we are also in the process of replacing the mattresses in our double bedded rooms with new items.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future