“Great Hotel but not the budget annex...”

Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed here for a night whilst going to a wedding in the area. As we would only need the room between 1am and 8 am we decided to book a budget room. The website clearly states that these rooms are in a separate annex and have not been refurbished. The price is reflected in this.

Generally the hotel is in an excellent situation right in the grounds of the wonderful cathedral. The hotel environment is very well kept and quite smart. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. The breakfast was very nice.

BUT……….. Back to the budget rooms. The rooms are in a back annex and you know the word budget is going to smack you in the face as soon as you enter the building. This is nothing anywhere near like the main building. It not only needed a total refurbishment, it needed a good clean to. Now there is budget and there is value, in my opinion this is nothing like value. I would suggest you don’t book a budget room here, if you have budget money book in to the Travelodge that is a short walk away. Some friends of ours had booked in there and it was a lot cheaper and well kept.

I would recommend the main Cathedral Lodge Hotel but certainly not the annex even at half the standard price.

Room Tip: Don't go budget here, everything else look great.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anotherhotelreview
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was disappointed to read your comments about our Value accommodation. Please accept my reassurances that rooms in this part of the hotel are cleaned to the same high standard as the rooms in the main hotel. We are currently in the process of finalising our refurbishment programme for these rooms and are anticipating works will commence by the end of June.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your other comments about the location and staff and will ensure these are relayed to the team.

If you are planning a stay in Canterbury again, I do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel and showing you the improvements we have made.

There are newer reviews for Canterbury Cathedral Lodge

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Every year on our respective birthdays, my husband and I book a surprise venue for each other, making sure that the venue has some special meaning to us. So for my birthday on 29 April my husband booked us into the Lodge for the weekend (It was the Cathedral that was the attraction)and I only found out at Victoria Station as we were leaving London on Friday 27 April. Every aspect of our stay was wonderful, from the friendly reception at the beginning, the wondeful dinner & champagne at Abode's the quiet thrill of ringing the doorbell after the Cathedral gates had closed for the evening and being let in and of course the beautiful, beautiful Cathedral itself. Even the awful weather did not put us off, we still managed to wander around the cobbled streets and enjoy the sites. It was a perfect birthday in every way.

1  Thank happibunni
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your recent review of Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your Birthday weekend and look forward welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

The hotel is difficult to find, after several false starts we got there, and parked next to the hotel (its worth booking a parking space well in advance). FYI turn left down the Burgate then right just after the Thomas Ingoldsby pub) through the Cathedral security gate.

We had a large bay fronted room overlooking the Cathedral, truly a magical view, especially under floodlights. That was the high spot. Whilst not exactly dirty, the room could have been cleaner. Two of the window handles were missing, and generally the decor was rather tired, with depressing green curtains. Not a good design choice. The bathroom was basic. All in all the decor was that of a cheap chain, I would have expected better, after all it is marketed as luxury.

Breakfast was good for the early birds (my son and daughter in law had a 07.30 start), but at 9.00 a.m the food was leathery from being too long in warming dishes. In spite of the fact that there seemed to be plenty of kitchen staff milling around to cook to order, it all had the air of mass catering in an institution.

Would I go again? Yes if improvements are made, as the location is truly "divine"

Room Tip: Ask for a Cathedral view. Inspiring.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time send us your feedback about your recent stay here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge.

Please accept my apologies for the difficulties you encountered whilst trying to locate the hotel. As you may have gathered from previous reviewers comments about location and our responses; we have tried without success to gain authorisation from the local council for external signage. However, we do attempt to make our location as clear as possible on our website and include maps with the following text in our “Find Us” section:

From Ashford International Station follow signs for A28 (signposted Canterbury) for approx 14 miles, through Bilting and Chartham.
 Continue on this road, taking 3rd exit at Wincheap roundabout – A28.
 Straight over next 2 roundabouts following signs for Margate.
 After 2nd roundabout (St Georges) you will be in Lower Bridge Street - turn left into Burgate.
 7am - 6pm turn right into Postern Gate, just after Thomas Ingoldsby Pub (Marked “B” on map below).
 6pm - 7am continue down Burgate, turning right into Christchurch Gate on the right just after Starbucks (Marked “A” on the map below)
 After 9pm – ring brass bell on left hand side of the Christchurch Gate to gain entrance.

I was disappointed to read your comments about the standard of cleanliness in your room, as this is something we pride ourselves on. Please accept my reassurances that we will ensure any necessary corrective actions are implemented. I was also sorry to hear that the décor was not to your taste and the standard of breakfast did not meet expectations. Again, these are areas in which our customers typically provide positive feedback.

As always, we value all feedback and aim to implement necessary improvements where appropriate.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

My parents and my partner and I stayed at the Cathedral Lodge for three nights in two rooms. One was a fully accessible double room, with en suite wet room, fully fitted with hand rails and walk in shower. This was the reason for booking this hotel room as both parents are in their seventies and have some mobility issues. We stayed in a twin room, but reception had arrange for the housekeeping staff to arrange the beds as a double.
Rooms were spacious, clean, warm, comfortable, had sufficient hanging space, drawers, hair-dryer, spare sockets, WiFi, extra seating, desk space and large windows that open. They view of the cathedral from the window was a bonus.
Parking on site (for a fee). Buffet breakfast was excellent. Staff were always very helpful.
Being able to walk in the grounds in the evening was good, being in the vicinity of such an ancient and fabulous building made one mindful of the people who built it, worshipped in it, made pilgrimages to it. I found it calming and I do not mean in a religious sense. You cannot help being moved by its presence and beauty.
Anyway this is meant to be a review, and the hotel and its location brought Canterbury to life 24/7. Canterbury and all its cobbled streets and attractions were on your doorstep by day and at night you were transported back in time as you wandered the grounds with only the cathedral for company.

Room Tip: Cathedral View
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
CCLManager, Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for commenting (so beautifully, may I add), on your experience in Canterbury and with your stay with us at The Lodge.

It is wonderful to hear that every aspect of your experience was what you had hoped for and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge again soon.

My very best wishes

Sally

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night at this fabulous modern hotel set within the grounds of Canterbury Cathedral.We were able to park overnight in the grounds of the Cathedral which made for complete peace of mind. Our Room had the most fabulous view of the Cathedral which was lit up at night. .By staying at the Lodge you get free admission to the Cathedral itself.Access to the town is excellent and you could shop till you drop in Canterbury as it has just about every conceivable shop you can think of and pubs and restaurants galore..We stayed for bed and breakfast the latter being excellent with a huge choice of food . The rooms are modern and the beds suprisingly comfortable . I personally don't care for hard beds and for me their double bed was just right.There even a well stocked library come rest room in the hotel . Staff were very friendly and helpful and the whole experience was very pleasant Although we stayed In April we had glorious sunshine for the day which just added to the feelgood factor .We ate out in the evening locally at a recommended Italian restaurant and the food was very good..

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the Cathedral as the views are stunning
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
CCLManager, Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. You made such positive comments and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay.

Thanks for your feedback regarding the mattress, it's difficult to cater for all taste in this respect, and I am pleased they were just right for you.

Look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Canterbury.

Best wishes

Sally
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the annex to this hotel with 3 friends in April 2012. We had 2 twin bedded rooms which were fantastic value at £60 each a night. This entitled us to a free breakfast in the 4 star part of the hotel and unlimited visits to the cathedral as well as free parking in the centre of Canterbury. The staff were really helpful and very friendly. Each night they chilled our bottle of wine and let us put our nibbles in their fridge. They helped us locate restaurants we wanted to visit and showed us round the hotel so we knew where to find the gardens and the library. It felt very special ringing the bell each evening at the big wooden door leading into the Cathedral compound after we had gone out for a meal and showing our admittance passes. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay and thought the hotel was really lovely.

Room Tip: The rooms in the annex are brilliant value for money and when we looked at the more expensive rooms...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank summerinhastings
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Cathedral Lodge in Canterbury, this last weekend (Friday 20th - Sunday 22nd April 2012). The room was large, clean and comfortable. It was very affordable and the breakfast they provided was excellent. The only critism was the matresses were quite soft, and we were situated at the back of the Burgate building, thus we could hear every type of noise from the shops and bars from that part of town. This is not the lodges fault, just have to bear that in mind when booking a city centre hotel. On a positive note it was really conviently situated to all parts of the attractions of the city, and with your stay you got free access to the Cathedral, and discounts and some restaurants. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Canterbury. The hotel was value for money, anad the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. If we plan another night/weekend in Canterbury again, we would definately be booking a room at the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge.

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you felt it represented good value for money. We are due to commence a refurbishment programme in our value rooms within the next three months and I hope the mattress selection may be more to your taste for any future visits you might make.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.