3 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.com
Fully refundable before Fri, 1 Mar
Get rewarded with One Key
1,616 results
All reviews free entry lit up at night breakfast was excellent fantastic location double bed central location main building cooked breakfast car park precinct cathedral refectory parking conference bells evensong annex
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 November 2023

I booked Canterbury Cathedral Lodge to be as close as possible to the Cathedral, giving us a chance to peek in before leaving town for the start of our packed business day.

We arrived late and tired, missing the entrance gates. A quick call to the hotel gave us the front desk clerk who was so helpful leading us in, offering to stay on the line until we found the correct gate! Once inside, she and her colleague were very welcoming and kind as we checked in.

Our room had a beautiful wide view of the cathedral, a big comfortable bed and a modern bathroom with a hot shower. A filling breakfast was pretty amazing, as we opted for the Full English Breakfast and added cheese plate.

It was a perfect stay for two weary travelers!

Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 950bethc
Richard Moppett, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2023

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Due to security bollards in the city centre, the vehicular entrance to the Cathedral does change at certain times of day. As well as sending these details with booking confirmations, our reception team are glad to help over the phone, as we know it can be a little difficult if you have not visited Canterbury previously. I was pleased to read that the receptionist was able to assist you. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed our breakfast offer.

I do hope you choose us again when in the area.

Reviewed 11 November 2023 via mobile

Location location location! This is the perfect place to stay in Canterbury. The fact that you are on the grounds of the Cathedral makes it really special affording you the ability to walk around the cathedral at night. Make a point to come home from dinner after the gates are closed, as it’s super unique to have the gates opened for you. The hotel itself is fine. It’s a bit modern for my tastes, esp given the location. The refillable glass water bottles are a nice touch.

Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Richard Moppett, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2023

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Although we are entering the colder months, a highlight is seeing the Cathedral lit at night without having to stay up too late. Our Christmas trees will soon be in place, which will make the grounds even more attractive!

Best regards

Reviewed 3 November 2023

Really a great place to stay. You are literally next door to the cathedral. I had a room with a great view. Room was modern but it all blended in with the atmosphere. The staff was very helpful. I think the lodge is the place to stay in Canterbury.

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Guest,

I was pleased to ready that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found the team helpful. I do hope you can visit again soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2023

The Lodge is inside the Cathedral Close and if you're out carousing late night, you might have trouble getting back in. But that's not why you are staying there. You staying at the Lodge to be near God and get the full Cathedral experience. The rooms are nicely appointed. The WiFi is good and you can watch netflix on the in room TVs if you like. But the best part is that you get a Cathedral pass and can explore the grounds at your convenience and really get to know the Cathedral. Oh, and the included breakfast is top drawer. I would definitely stay here again. I noticed they didn't have a lot of parking, but I took the train down from London and simply walked over from the station. All of the staff were really friendly. too. They let me drop off my bag early so I could go to Eucharist before check in time and not have to lug it around. They also turned me on to a really informative walking tour of Canterbury too. Plus the price was very reasonable, especially in light of everything you get.

Room tip: Leave the stress behind and take the train and enjoy the walk through the ancient city to the Cathedral from the station.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank chasmader

Dear Guest,

Thank you leaving such a kind review. I can assure you and other readers it is not difficult to get back into the Cathedral grounds at night. We have a 24 hour team of constables, and there is a dedicated bell to reach them at the Christchurch Gate, if you return after 9.00 pm. You then have safe and secure access back to your hotel room. I do hope you can visit us again (and maybe stay out late in the City!).

Best regards

Reviewed 20 October 2023

very good reception staff, reasonable price, in fact, the standard could have been priced at a higher rate, rooms clean spacious, modern bathrooms, not at all seedy which is often the case,whole place well kept , excellent breakfast ,nice view of the Cathedral, easy parking, entry to cathedral free

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving such a favourable review. The team were delighted to read your comments. I do hope we can welcome you back to Canterbury again in the future.