The Victoria Hotel
Canterbury Hotel(Canterbury)
ABode Canterbury(Canterbury)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewscity centrebig car parkminute walkhot chocolate and biscuitsgood sizepub grublondon roaddecent hotelmain roadthe ground floorbooked roomsfamily roomsingle roomposter bedfull englishplenty of parkingshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had booked a double room and a single room for 2 nights while visiting family. It was good to be able to park the car so close to Canterbury. The staff are friendly, but the rooms were rather small. Our rooms were at the very top of the hotel and were very hot and stuffy. There was tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits on a little plastic work station. The bed was really comfortable and the towels and bed linens were spotless. The whole room needed a makeover as the décor was scruffy and tired.
We had a meal in the restaurant on the first night and it was delicious. The carvery was hot and very tasty. The staff were courteous and the service was good. we had breakfast each morning and there was a lovely assortment for the light breakfast, plenty of choice and the full English was excellent.
There is a sign outside the hotel that reads, "rooms from £49". We paid £60 for the single per night and £80 for the double per night.

Room Tip: There appears to be an annexe adjoining the hotel. This looks newer, and may possibly be a better standard?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

I used to participate a business training program in UK and lived in Canterbury. This hotel is for us to pass one night for a reunion of students during that period. Although the facilities did not impress me, the special value still of this stay should always be remembered. It was one part of our story of our life with the lovely city.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were , unfortunately during the bankholiday weekend of may, in Canterbury enjoying the lovely city. Trying to find a hotel a job and a half... plus that we really wanted to see the final of the football match. We ended up at the Victoria Hotel just to learn that they were fully booked. But...the lovely recepcionist "Jacky" went beyond everything to help us find a room. She even got us an adress to go and watch our match, even tough we were not here clients. Next time I´ll be in Canterbury I shall certainly go there ! It is not that often that we meet staff so helpfull!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having lived in Canterbury for 20+ years I had often walked past the hotel ( 5 mins from my parents house) but had never needed to stay in it. A few weeks ago, I had a few days in Canterbury so decided to try it out.
The plus’s - a great location for anyone visiting Canterbury – it’s a 10-15 minute walk into town and. also near (though maybe not with luggage) Canterbury West Station and a bus ride away from Canterbury East Station. There’s a bus stop nearby which will take you into town (handy if you’re getting a National Express Coach) as well as into Faversham – nice for a half day trip. Further down the road there’s the bus stop to the University and Whitstable. The hotel also has a car park which seems to be a decent size.
The bar area is nice enough and there’s a reasonable selection of bar meals available.

Now onto the areas for improvement. It’s not often I write negative comments but unfortunately here I have to. I will in the hotel’s defence however mention that it is a family run hotel and so at busy times things aren't going to run as smoothly as they would in other places.

Firstly – the room – I know this might just be down to my lack of experience with UK hotels but never before have I stayed in a single room that actually has a single bed. As I said this may be down to my lack of knowledge so if it is the norm then apologies. It was also rather scruffy and out dated and a major refurbishment is needed to bring it more up to date. The bath/overhead shower combination could be a problem for anyone with mobility problems as it is very high-sided – I know my parents would have a problem climbing in / out.

There was nobody to help with luggage either on arrival or departure. As it is an old building there obviously aren't any lifts and this is where a Porter would be very useful. The stairs up are not really suited for dragging up luggage (and I was only on the first floor). I did raise this with management who did tell me that there was always a member of staff available to help. This may be true but surely a guest shouldn’t have to ask and should be an automatic part of the welcome. I wouldn’t recommend it for those with mobility problems.

Breakfast – again it was adequate though it would have been nice to have seen vegetarian choices for the cooked breakfast (and I don’t mean baked beans/tomatoes etc but veggie sausages for example would have been welcome).

Staff – this is where I think the hotel does need to invest some serious money in staff training. It would be useful if staff spoke a language other than English as I did notice some clients having problems understanding the waitress at breakfast they also need to focus more on customer service and less on chatting up the guys at the bar in the evening.
I know this may sound harsh but having travelled extensively I was very disappointed that what could be a fabulous hotel was let down by the points mentioned.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2014

For my 19th Birthday back in January my girlfriend had booked a night here, and it was a lovely surprise. on arrival was warm welcoming staff and a lovely looking restaurant. The room was lovely and large a lot, lot better than what i expected, the bathroom was lovely, nice modern looking, we will be visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple