“Hake so fresh”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our third visit to Rafael at the goods shed and it didn't disappoint .although Rafael was not cooking his staff did not let down.
The crab risotto followed by the hake was cooked to perfection.
Our waitress was very attentive and friendly.
A truly good night had by all.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I would highly recommend Rafael's. It's a little gem hidden within the goods shed which is home to an equally good farmers market during the day. I would say to book in advance, although I went with my girlfriend and they did manage to seat us promptly. The setting has a lovely rustic earthy feel to it. To start I had the pig's cheek which was, and I cannot stress this enough, probably the nicest dish I have ever eaten! Packed with rich flavour and the meat the just melted in the mouth. I chose the wood pigeon for main and that was also cooked to perfection. Now most of the ingredients used are from the farmers market and so the menus will be seasonal to a degree! The chefs clearly know they're way around the kitchen and, along with the great service makes this one of Canterbury's top restaurants in my opinion.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I wish I lived closer to Canterbury so that I could visit this restaurant more often. We've been a few times before and have always been very pleased. These people can cook.

I had skate wing with green veg and it was perfectly cooked with a lovely sauce. The other two diners both had pigeon breasts and they liked it/them very much. We all gave our desserts 10 out of 10 and it makes me feel very childish that I am still thinking about it and wishing for more a week later. The fabulous dessert was simply rhubarb and orange mess; so, rhubarb, cream, meringue, orange and tiny, tiny handcut slices of lime zest, It was just delicious and divine. My son had chocolate fondant and orange ice cream which was also fab.

The service is absolutely fine and waiters and waitresses are all very nice.

Whoever said this is pub grub is a very lucky person to have found such pubs. Name them.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Well, it's not easy to say.
The GS does the important things really well.
95pc of the food in the restaurant comes from the farmers market. So, the offer is local and seasonal. The food is carefully prepared and is presented beautifully.

But, it's not really fine dining as most people think of it.
The shed is an old industrial space, the china is mis-matched and the whole thing is rustic in feel. In the evening, they add candles on each table.

I think the balance between simplicity (decor) and sophistication (food) is bang on. But it could be a bit confusing if you were looking for a certain kind of environment.

And its open all day, serving breakfasts, lunch and dinner. Terrific.

PS They do a very nice kir.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family and I came here for my Mums birthday and we were very impressed. The staff were very efficient and polite. I had the scallops for starter and steak for mains, they were very tasty and good size portions and left I left feeling very satisfied.I will be returning to The Good Shed very soon for another fantastic meal.