“Great stay overall”
Review of Sylvan Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canterbury
Sylvan Cottage
Ranked #63 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Wisbech, United Kingdom
“Great stay overall”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We have just returned from Sylvan Cottage where we spent a very pleasant evening and enjoyed our stay. Jac's hospitality was first-class and she had clearly thought of everything. We would just like to mention something in the spirit of constructive criticism which we hope will be taken in the spirit in which it is meant.
As a family of four we divided ourselves between the twin and double rooms at the end of the corridor, Our children were given the twin room with its roomy double shower, whereas my wife and I had the double room. On entering the room my first thought was that there was no bathroom, only to find that it was hiding behind a louvre door. This door, unfortunately, gives very little privacy for the person sitting on the toilet!!

Our suggestion would be to swap the double and twin room round by exchanging the beds and put a new door on the bathroom. Other than that, we were very happy with everything.

Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 45eminence45
, Owner at Sylvan Cottage, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thanks for your helpful review and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our family room unfortunately gets booked up a long time in advance, otherwise we would have strongly recommended this for your family.
The particular room you stayed in does have a tiny ensuite, which we always tell our guests about beforehand and is reflected in the room rate. Twin beds would obviously not be a sensible option with such a small bathroom, but It is however very popular with single guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridgeshire UK
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed for 3 nights and had the twin/queen bedroom downstairs located just off the guest lounge. Our room, guest lounge and guest kitchen had all been decorated to a very high standard and I particularly liked the tiled floors throughout the downstairs accommodation as I can think of nothing worse than musty smelling carpets , everything was very clean and fresh ( no nasty smells or tatty wallpaper in sight)
The guest kitchen was a real bonus, I am not particularly keen on eating out because I am rather fussy therefore it was great to be able to make simple meals in the evening. The kitchen is well stocked with a fridge, dishwasher, hob, microwave/combo oven, huge selection of crockery and pans, guests are welcome to use the kitchen at any time and this is very useful if you are on a budget as we fine eating out can be rather expensive.
My husband really enjoyed the cooked breakfast and a very good selection of high quality cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts and fresh bread were also on offer. Tea and coffee making in the guest kitchen were available at any time and we enjoyed sitting in the warm cosy lounge in the evening.
We walked into Canterbury across the field at the back of the school (Jac will give you a map if you ask) it took us about 30 minutes.
Jac and Chris are extremely professional it is very clear to see from the standards set that they have been running a B&B for some considerable time. This is a really fantastic place to stay and I would say it is in a league of its own, so much more than your average B&B, Jac and Chris are very friendly and the house has a lovely relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: Lovely B&B, downstairs room would be suitable for older guests. Guest kitchen a real BONUS.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We (Family of 3) stayed at the cottage Aug 21-Aug 23 in the family style room. The room was a great size, with 1 larger room that had a TV and double bed with a connecting room with a single. The hospitality there was great, the breakfest they served was very good! We also really enjoyed the guest kitchen, it allowed us to get breakfest despite the fact that we had to leave at 6am.

The walk to the town in about 15-20 minutes, we are all fairly active, walked at a decent pace so I think that would be about the average duration. We ended up taking a cab back to the cottage after dinner and we didnt want to walk through the field after dark (the fastest route is through a path surrounded by field).

Overall we would recommend the cottage, great stay! :)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cane_123123
UK
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed here a night before a rather horrible exam. Because of this, I wanted peace, quiet, and to be in a place where I felt comfortable. I am glad that I chose Sylvan cottage, because it was all of this and more. The house was immaculate. My bedroom was like a home from home. The guest kitchen was a great addition, as I was able to bring my own food, and sit at the lovely dinner table looking out onto the garden whilst trying to cram in some last munite revision. The owner was very welcoming and whent out of her way to make my stay (and that of others) as comfortable as possible. I would stay at Sylvan Cottage again if I visit Canterbury again....thankfully I passed my exam, so next time I may be able to enjoy the area more.

Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We really enjoyed our stay in the Sylvan Cottage. Chris and Jac are perfect hosts.
The room we had was really clean, and big enough for 2 adults and 2 childeren. Breakfast was also very good.

• Stayed August 2011
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We arrived here after a couple of days in the Hotel Una in Brighton and we both felt that the Cottage in terms of value for money far outweighed the Hotel Una.

Our room was in the old part of the cottage overlooking the back garden. The room was very generously apportioned and was filled with everything you could reasonably expect in a B&B. Generous helping of chocolate biscuits always works wonders, as does some quality sachets of hot chocolate. I guess if your used to your plasma 40 inch TV and a DVD library running into the thousands, you probably won't be overly impressed with an 18 inch LCD TV - but we took the view that we weren't visiting Canterbury to watch TV at night anyway.

That said, and this is more of an observation, the cottage does lie next to a busy road and if your expecting to hear a pin drop at night, you might be disappointed. For us, the road noise quickly became background noise and we slept absolutely fine on both nights.

Breakfast was amazing. Everything freshly cooked or bought. Decent portions which is no bad thing these days.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We booked well in advance for the Open Golf weekend and had a wonderful and restful stay. Our rooms were upstairs and were wonderful with king size beds and were very tastefully decorated.

Breakfast was great and the owners were very flexible for us as we were up and out very early for the golf, so we were eating as early as 06.30.

Canterbury is a quick car ride of 4 or 5 minutes but it is also definately within walking distance.

All in all would very much recommend Sylvan cottage and would deifinately use as a base anytime we are in the area.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms were great!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family