“A little gem”

Sun Hotel and Tea Rooms
Ranked #67 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
“A little gem”
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Unique and charming place in a very central but quiet location, just seconds from the cathedral entrance. I couldn't have wished for a more comfortable stay, my only regret was that my stay was for just the one night.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 22 February 2013

On our arrival we were met by a helpful member of staff who upgraded us to the Sun room. Loved the room which was warm and clean and had a jacuzzi and beautiful bed. Yes, you could hear the goings on of the street below but it's a very old building! It did seem a little odd that the place was rather deserted as the staff were only there to let us in and in then in the morning. Both of whom were very friendly. It suited our needs perfectly and I would happily stay again. The only drawback being no on site parking but that's expected given the location.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This delightful little hotel is in a perfect spot right in the middle of the old city and on the face of it all is perfectly acceptable. Apart from the price. When I am paying three times as much as just about anywhere else in town, I want better attention to detail. The staff were friendly and it is only niggles that annoyed me but as I said for the money, they could try a lot harder to satisfy the more discerning of visitors.

Room Tip: I was in the Sun Room. Great views along three medieval streets and a whirlpool bath.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I booked a £100 room last weekend and when I arrived there was nobody there. All doors were locked with just a piece of paper with a phone number stuck to a wall. I called but it went straight to voicemail, a redirected landline to a mobile. 26 calls later over 1 hour in -2 conditions and the same! In the end I had to pay another £100 for another hotel elsewhere. The guy didn't even reply to a single voicemail message I left. Compete scam!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Immy2013

Travellers are raving about these Canterbury hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The hotel has a fantastic location right in the heart of Canterbury next to the Cathedral. The hotel itself is a very old building which was very charming, as were the staff. We booked a family suit but sadly it wasn't suitable for children as it had no bath and lots of cables running down the walls from tv's/ videos's / kettles etc. it also had lots of plug holes at toddler face height with no covers, most annoyingly there was no high chair or breakfast option for kids ie no fresh fruit or yoghurt or cereal. Sleeping was tricky due to the bright hall lights coming in under the door and a previously set alarm going off on snooze from 5am. However a charming hotel great for seeing the sights of Canterbury.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Great location and original old building just next to the cathedral. The owner "upgraded" us to a better room because we couldn't get in at first attempt and had to ring him on the mobile phone number provided at the front door. Cleanliness was ok, although the carpet in the hall downstairs was a bit smelly. Decoration in the room was nice, bed, tables, but the cables leading to the TV would better be a bit hidden. We were lucky with outside noise, staying midweek. Breakfeast is english style only and enjoyable.

All in all we had a nice stay.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marc K
Surrey
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Rang up just tonight, and apparently spoke to the manager. What an experience. I tried to book a room for me and my son and was told "no". When I asked why I was told "you're a joke". Absolutely abysmal customer service. I was then hung up on. Absolutely disgraceful. I rang back minutes later and was once again subjected to a torrent of rudeness. The man on the other end of the phone who claimed to be the manager also laughed at me several times, and told me to book on the internet before hanging up on me once again. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone based on my experience, and if that was indeed the manager, he shouldn't be running marathon, let alone a hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family