“Has become new favourite Mexican restaurant”
Review of Cafe des Amis

Cafe des Amis
Ranked #15 of 384 Restaurants in Canterbury
Price range: US$12 - US$33
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Hadn't planned to go to Cafe des Amis but really glad the restaurant we were going to go to was closed for the night. My boyfriend and I are big fans of Mexican restaurants, our longstanding favourite being El Mexica in Brighton, but we feel this has just tipped us over the edge. Very welcoming staff and interesting, bright decor. Interesting menu, not just your standard Mexican fare, although that was also available. Starters - Calamari chips and Cerviche of fish. Mains- Spinach, Leek, Mozzerella tacos (I'm not a vegetarian but couldn't resist and was lovely) and Pork enchillada with mole sauce. Pudding - Chocolate Torte and Exotic fruit sorbet. And Jimmy discovered Deparadoes beer which was a revelation for him. We had a great night. Couldn't take advantage of the breakfast at our hotel the next day. Stuffed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,313)

Reviewed 4 August 2012

This used to be a nice restaurant, but it's really gone downhill. All the food screams 'out of a packet' - there was no cooking evident in anything we ordered. It just looked like stuff assembled on a plate, despite the slow service.

1  Thank trolleydolly11
Reviewed 1 August 2012

It was my first time going to Cafe Des Amis. My friends all new about it and told me that they had great food and that they also did students deals. We ordered a round of nachos with this pork thing that was absolutely delicious. I told the waiter it was my first time coming here and he introduced our table to a variety of single portioned fajitas. So for mains we had the duck, pork, and lamb fajitas! To be honest I initially came here for the student deals but by the end of the night I wouldn't really be bothered if I had brought my student card. Service was great. Food was amazing! Definitely coming here again :)

Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

So nice to see a Mexican restaurant offer different dishes to just Fajitas, burritos and chimichangas!

I had the chorizo salad starter, which was one of the best starters Ive ever had! My Husband had the duck starter and said the same about his. For mains, I had the lamb stew, which was absolutely delicious and my Husband had the steak, which although tasted nice was quite tough and chewy. We mentioned this to the waitress, who at first didn't seem that bothered but then came over and said that others had complained about it too and that it was something they were going to bring up with their meat supplier. She apologised and removed two drinks from our bill, which showed they care about customer feedback.

The only negative during our visit was the atmosphere in the restaurant. There was a table of men, who had obviously been drinking quite a bit and were quite rowdy. Something I would expect to see in a pub, not restaurant environment and although it didn't spoil the meal, it would have been nicer without that noise.

All in all, we had a lovely time at Cafe Des Amis, we will go again and would recommend to others!

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Cafe Des still has a great atmosphere in the evenings. Lunch times seem to have lost it a bit, or maybe I just fancied a change. The food is still good and the staff friendly. They have stuck to their formula for years now and it still works. My kids still love it too.