“Food nothing special, poor service”
Review of Jalsha Restaurant - CLOSED

Jalsha Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The food was nothing special and did not,, in my opinion provide value for money. The waiter was over familiar and although he appeared to be trying hard, ended up just being annoying. No tip for him and unless things change foodwise, I doubt if I will return for another meal. Disappointing.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Today I ordered an anniversary meal for my husband and I,after waiting 30 minutes I phoned the restaurant.................................after 9 calls in less than 15 minutes my husband drove to the restaurant to check where our dinner was ( it was an hour late by this time) apparently because we were new cash paying customers who had not answered the phone when they called to check the order ( we were putting our 3 children to bed at the time and they had not phoned from the restaurants number so it was not recognized on our phone) they decided they would not process our order. I am not sure what the point of offering cash payments to new customers through sites such as Just Eat and Hungry House is if the restaurants are dubious about processing orders. No apology to my husband when he arrived at 9.30 pm looking for our anniversary dinner :-(((

1  Thank The-Glover-5s
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just like another reviewer on this site, we were double charged for a take away meal from Jalsha at the beginning of June. Since then, we have telephoned the restaurant 8 times to try to get our money returned, were fobbed off by staff when asking to speak with the manager, and when finally we did speak to the manager, were told that a problem with the card payment system had caused the error and so a cheque would be sent to us in the post. Of course this never arrived and when I called again to speak with the manager he wasn't there. Neither was the message that I left on the Contact page of their website responded to. Unbelievable that any supposedly reputable business could think this is acceptable, so my advice would be to avoid and definitely never to pay by card if you do order with them.

3  Thank Lauren A
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This restaurant was a wonderful surprise for us (my mother, boyfriend and myself), we came to Canterbury with the idea of eating somewhere else, but after being disappointed by that place we moved to somewhere nearer our hotel. We entered at 8pm and reserved a table for 9pm. When we came back, we were given a table and expected a small restaurant. We were surprised when we were informed there was an outside area where shisha was available and we were able to smoke cigarettes. It was a well covered area with plenty of seating and a large TV screen that was not too loud or over bearing.

Our food was perfect, someone on here has claimed the portion sizes are small, I disagree, they were of a good size and were extremely flavoursome! It also came in good time, with great spacing between the starters main and pudding (highly recommend the Passionfruit and Mango sorbet!), the seating was lovely and the dinning room we were in was wonderfully decorated and clean.

The highlight of the night however, was our waiter, who was friendly and very talkative. He made us very welcome and helped us decide on our food. He kept us in drinks, and when we were outside in the garden he managed to find us chairs and a table in the packed area, and made sure we were happy with our seating and the area in general.

All in all, it was one of the highlights of our trip to Canterbury and I will definitely be returning!

Tara, Susan and Barny (very satisfied customers!)

1  Thank Taranasaurus G
Reviewed 4 July 2014

It's been a couple of years since we ate in the restaurant - usually we have a delivery. At first we requested a table outside but this area is used by those wanting to just have drinks and smoke. Therefore we had a drink and then moved inside. The service was a little slow bearing in mind it was a relatively quiet Thursday early evening. We had to ask staff a couple of times for drinks. The menu is extensive and delicious although as stated before quite expensive. However, overall lovely meal. I always check the bill when we go out - there was glass of wine added. Neither my husband or I had drunk any wine! Staff were very quick to correct their error - almost too quick as if it happens frequently. This episode wouldn't put us off returning but as stated - check your bill!

2  Thank Dianne H