“Lovely hotel, wouldn't recommend the spa”

Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Went with my partner for a relaxing weekend break having stayed in Q hotels before and found them to be excellent for the price. We weren't disappointed with the hotel itself, the staff were very friendly, food was excellent with a great selection at breakfast and fantastic service. The room was clean albeit a little dated in my opinion, and the duvet cover was very lumpy (looked like a travelodge duvet cover) but overall the hotel was ok and we had got a cheap deal anyway so weren't too disappointed.

I had a treatment booked as a birthday treat from my other half. This was where I felt a bit short-changed, as the treatment I booked was a "prescriptive facial" which was advertised as lasting 60 minutes, but I was in and out in just under 30 minutes (literally, I went into the room at 11, looked at my watch on the way out and it was 11:29). These treatments aren't cheap and I wasn't happy. I probably should have said something but as it was meant to be a nice relaxing treat I didn't want to stress myself out by getting into an argument with staff! And the time I actually did have was lovely, just a bit short :(

Afterwards I was thinking about buying some products and the staff were all over the place, they didn't have a clue where to find the price list (after trying to sell them to me this isn't very professional!) Awkward moment reassuring them that it was ok and they could tell me later. I then asked if I could have a dressing gown and slippers to go and relax in the spa for a bit and they would not even give me these after I had paid a lot of money for a treatment - they wanted another £5. All I wanted to do was go and meet my other half who was relaxing by the pool while I had my treatment. I have never come across a spa where you pay so much for a treatment and they don't even provide dressing gown and slippers!

The spa facilities themselves are also a little dated and could do with a bit of attention. It was all clean and acceptable, we had a bit of a swim and relaxed on the heated loungers for a while (minus dressing gown!) but it didn't exactly have the wow factor. Also as it's a bit of a thoroughfare for people getting to the treatment rooms and staff always walking through, it wasn't exactly quiet.

Final niggle was music from a wedding... we had asked for a quiet room (right at the top of the hotel at the end of a corridor) but could still hear the feint thud,thud,thud of the music on saturday night. We were also awoken by very drunk giggly women coming back to their rooms at 4am; I don't understand why they didn't place all the wedding guests in the same corridor away from other guests who were trying to get a decent night's sleep.

Overall it was a nice weekend but there were a few niggles which really let it down. I probably wouldn't stay there again, not for a spa break anyway.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Christine E, Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Dear Jess888,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent spa break to celebrate your birthday here at Bridgewood Manor. Thank you for the kind words with reference to to the friendliness of our staff this is something of which we are extremely proud of, and that you also enjoyed the food and service that you received. I apologise that when your treatments were changed it was booked in as a 25 minute mini facial - this was an error on our part which we have duly refunded you the difference in price for, I hope this did not impact the enjoyment of the treatment that you did have and I hope that you will return tot he hotel in the near future to enjoy another treatment with us. We are currently replacing some of our beds in the hotel to allow us more flexibility when allocating guests bedrooms so we can accommodate guest requests and also offer rooms away from guests attending parties in the hotel. Kind Regards Claire Johnson -Operations Manager

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate my 50th (albeit back in February) without children. Our room was spotless, the food excellent and the spa very enjoyable. The spa prices are on a par with London ones and I had mini facial, back massage and eyebrow wax. very relaxing hour and 15 mins. Didnt use the pool as it was closed when we arrived and didnt want to after my treatments.
However one thing we both commented on was how pleasant and lovely the staff were. Not one surly face - either they are all happy in their jobs and have good management team (I want to work there!!)

The only small gripe and its the same with all hotels - not enough milk on tea/coffee tray in bedroom

Thanks everyone

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Christine E, Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Alisonkou, May I first say a Happy Belated 50th Birthday and I am privileged that you decided to enjoy your celebrations with us here at Bridgewood Manor. I will pass your kind comments on to the team here particularly to the Restaurant, spa and kitchen teams. I am glad that your felt pampered after your spa treatments and that you had an entirely relaxing stay with us. I hope that you will visit us again soon. Kind Regards Claire Johnson -Operations Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Very disappointing. I raved about my friends Spa weekend break in February, so my boyfriend treated me for my birthday last weekend.

Overall, the experience was very average. I was extremely disappointed because having only spent time in a Q hotel in Nottingham, which was amazing VFM we felt very short changed in this Hotel near Maidstone. It was so awful, I was very close to telling my boyfriend to pack up and go home after a few hours. The basic hotel was OK, it was just so very shabby, and old! The service on the front desk was OK, although they tried to check us into a room that had been freshly painted (why would hotels do that?) but the bar experience was awful. The girl behind the bar was more interested in flirting with 2 male colleagues it seemed than service. And it took approximately 2 hours for us to eventually get our 2 course lunch which was not very good. My boyfriend had to send his back and order something completely different. So the tone of the birthday "treat" weekend did not start well!

The actual treatments were really lovely... And we found the spa girls to be great..But the pool was teeny tiny, there was a relaxation area literally for 2 people, the gym was awful with a capital A because it did not look renovated, it had very very old equipment and it was very cramped.... The changing rooms were also nasty, with one toilet that did not smell very nice.

The steam room and sauna doors did not open and close properly, and overall the "spa" experience was AWFUL!

To balance it, the dinner and breakfast were ok but we could not wait to get home the following morning which is certainly NOT how I felt in Nottingham.

This hotel definitely ought not be selling the Spa Break Package as far as I am concerned!

I will not be caught out again and should definitely have read up on the hotel on Trip Advisor prior to booking, instead of resting my experience solely on Nottingham a few months previously.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Annalisa C

Dear Annalisa,
Thank you for taking your time to post a review of your visit to Bridgewood Manor, I am sorry that on this occasion your visit did not meet your expectations and i have raised all issues with the team. We are currently completing an internal refurbishment of the hotel and have just completed the Bedrooms, public areas and conference facilities and are looking to move on to our leisure club in the near future. Again Annalisa I apologise for your disappointment, I know we have been in touch with you personally already, I can assure you that this is not our usual standard and i hope we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the near future to restore your faith in us.
Regards Claire Johnson- Operations Manager

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I booked 6 of us for a spa weekend package. The offer is good value; one night stay, two 25 min treatments, use of the spa, lunch, dinner and breakfast. The food was lovely (and there was loads of it!!) and the staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was clean, but a little dated (not that it really mattered!). We were warned about a function that evening with a disco going on until midnight. Unfortunately our rooms were right above it so until then, it was a little irritating, but as I said, we were warned, which we appreciated.
Unfortunately, the swimming pool was out of order for our stay. Being a spa break, it was disappointing, esp as the other facilitors are limited (small sauna/steam, no jacuzzi, only a few loungers). However the treatments we had made up for it! They were lovely!!! As we were there for a friend's relaxing hen weekend, we felt we should talk to management about our disappointment with the swimming pool being out of action. The manager couldnt apologise enough, and completely understood our view. As a result we were given some extras to make up for it. These things happen, but it was nice to know that we were not just left to 'get on with it'.
Generally I would recommend this hotel/spa, but probably only if you are a small party. The staff made us feel welcome, which in my opinion, makes a place!

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room away from the function room!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Christine E, General Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear AmazingG, many thanks for posting the review of your recent Spa Break and positive comments regarding the good value of the package and our welcoming team members. I have taken note of your observations regarding the overall facility. I will also pass on your thanks to Emma and Claire, I know they did all they could at the weekend to rectify the maintenance fault with the pool and it was back up and running the next day. With regards, Christine

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at Bridgewood Manor for a long weekend at the end of March. The staff were all pleasant, polite and helpful, the room was comfortable and spa facilities were enjoyed (although it could do with a jacuzzi).

However, we were told on arrival that there would be parties at the hotel on the two nights that we were staying, but that they had tried to put guests at the opposite end of the hotel. When we got to our room we found that this actually meant we were directly opposite where the parties were taking place. This wasn't too bad on the first night, but on the second night we could hear loud music until well after Midnight. Whilst this may not be considered unreasonably late, when you're wife is pregnant and needs her sleep it does not make for the most relaxing of weekends. When I complained to reception earlier in the evening I had been told that this would be finishing at 11pm and the hotel was full so we couldn't move rooms. Whilst I understand it is not possible to move when the hotel is fully booked, it seemed as though people involved in the hen party were staying at the hotel and therefore in future, I would recommend that those who are attending the party get the rooms closest to where the function is taking place.

We also had an unfortunate incident whilst having an afternoon scone as I bit into one and found myself crunching on glass. I have to say the staff were very good. They apologised profusely, gave us a refund on the scones as well as replacing them and gave us a free drink. However, on top of the lack of sleep it did not make for an enjoyable 4* break which we had hoped for.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Rob, thank you for your kind words regarding the team members, they will take heart from these and for the general comments regarding the Hotel following your recent stay. As well as this review thank you for completing our online customer satisfaction survey from QHotels. Following this the Chef and I discussed your comments with our suppliers and again apologise for the afternoon tea incident. Regarding the hen party I do take on board your comments, if we had been aware prior to arrival, we would have endeavoured to allocate the rooms close by and apologise to you and your wife for the inconvenience. However on this occasion the guests had booked to attend a tribute night and booked the bedrooms seperately under different names. Notwithstanding this I do hope we can welcome you and your wife back to one of the 21 QHotels soon. With regards, Christine.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Just returned from an excellent stay at Bridgewood again, from the minute we arrived to the time we left nothing was too much trouble. We asked for a quite room on the back of the hotel this was waiting for us. Perfectly clean and tidy. Meals both dinner and breakfasts were fiirst class.
One small point would have liked a spa in the pool.
We stay at Q hotels all over the country and I will say this is our favourite, we hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Back room are quietest
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diddydi-do
Christine E, General Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at the Hotel and am pleased to read it was as enjoyable as your previous stay last year. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon. With regards, Christine

Reviewed 10 March 2012

We stayed here for a wedding reception on new years eve.

Reception staff were really friendly and check in was very efficeint.

Room was nice. Had no noise issues when we went to bed even though there were 2 other events going on that night.

Buffet breakfast was plentiful and hot, even though it was quite busy, staff were making sure all guests were happy.

Very impressed and would reccomend.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Christine E, General Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Many thanks for posting your positive review following your stay on New Years Eve for a wedding reception. I note you live in the county and do hope we can welcome you and your friends back to the Hotel, you may have more time to enjoy the Spa facilities or dine in Squire restaurant.
With kind regards, Christine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Ashford International Hotel
Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
The King Charles Hotel
The King Charles Hotel
#1 of 2 in Gillingham

Been to Bridgewood Manor - QHotels? Share your experiences!