“Tired, shabby and overrated” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bridgewood Manor - QHotels

Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Melbourne, Australia
“Tired, shabby and overrated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

For all those readers on here who are seeing reviews for this hotel with a 4/5 and 5/5, please think again. My husband and I have now stayed here twice - both times severely lacking in service and amenities.

We have friends in the area and everyone raves about it, but this is based on rumours going back 20 years. The sad reality is that this hotel is now tired and shabby and way overrated.

When you first walk in, the floors look dirty and the carpet looks like it has had many better years. It continues in the bar where the wallpaper is coming off in places and in the restaurant where the downlights aren't working and haven't even been replaced, leaving an empty hole in the ceiling. The prices for food and drink are over the top. This is probably based on that there are not many other venues in the vicinity unless you have a car or a taxi.
The rooms are ok but, speaking from experience, you can get just as good a bed (if not better) at the Premier Inn.

Our first stay was in the summer of 2013 and we were told that there was an air conditioner in our room only to find that this was a portable fan. We rang down for room service only to have to ring 3 times for it to be delivered.

During our second stay we were unable to use the pool and were not advised of this prior to arriving in the pool area. Also we rang down to reception enquring about the heated towel rail in the room and when it would come on. They didn't know and rang us back to advise that it would come on automatically in the evening, which it didn't.

Given the room prices, I do not consider this hotel to be good value or service overall. Having seen the reviews on this page and other travel pages, I do not understand what these travellers are seeing. We thought that the first time was just bad luck so thought we'd give it a second chance, but for us it is a case of twice bitten, never again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank misterchester12
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear misterchester12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I must apologise for the swimming pool being out of action during your stay. As a knock on effect from a local power outage, the chlorine levels on the day were unsafe and I took the decision to close the pool for the safety of our guests. I am sorry that this was not communicated to you outside of the leisure club reception.

The heated towel rails and bathroom extract fans are run on a timer system. I have checked with my maintenance team the room in which you were resident and it is unfortunate that the heating element for the towel rail had failed for which I apologise. This has now been replaced and the failed bulbs in the restaurant have also been addressed.

I am sorry that you believe the food and drink offerings to be overpriced. A number of options are available for dining in the hotel with Squires Restaurant offering a three course menu from £23 with main courses on our Bar Menu from £8.

I’m sorry to see that you felt the hotel is tired and shabby. We are coming to the end of a £1/4 million refurbishment programme in the public areas, meeting rooms and bedrooms giving the hotel an updated look and continuing to further improve other areas in future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Just back from an overnight stay with wife. Wife had already had an overnight spa break. This was my first stay and I have to agree with her first impressions. This is a very good hotel. Rooms were clean. Bed very comfortable. Food in restaurant was of high quality. Spa facilities look good ( I was unable to use pool and steam room). We are looking to return in a few weeks for another break. Definitely worth staying

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crascott
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear crascott,

Thank you so much for your 5 out of 5 review. It's nice to see you found all areas of a high standard.

I look forward to welcoming you back in few weeks for your return visit. Let's hope the weather is as kind as it has been this weekend!!

Best Wishes

Wigan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Having arrived on Thursday 15th May 2014, in the evening, we were very much looking forward to our three night stay at this Q-Hotel. We often stay at the Midland in Manchester and have also visited Norton Grange, Crewe Hall and The Queens in Leeds.

The quality of Bridgewood Manor is in no way comparable to the properties listed above despite the room rate, on this occasion, being more expensive than the ones we have previously paid at the aforementioned properties.

We had dinner in the restaurant on Thursday evening and the food was fine. Although, we couldn't help but notice that two large mirrors that decorate the walls of the restaurant are hung on an angle. I doubt this has been purposely done to achieve mood or ambience!

As part of our rate, a bottle of wine is included on each night of our stay. Each night so far we have had to request a delivery of white wine to replace the red wine that has been arbitrarily left in the room by housekeeping. Needless to say, despite numerous promises and assurances that it wouldn't happen again - it has!

Our room is referred to by the hotel as a suite. It is tired and in great need of some attention - as are the gym and spa facilities. It is situated above one of the hotel's conference rooms and last night the room was occupied by what I can only describe as some rather enthusiastic charismatic Christians. We had just returned from a funeral and wake and were tired after a very long, emotional day. The evening went on and the music and singing quietened down and we slept comfortably and well.

However, at just after 9am, on a Saturday morning, we were rudely awakened by very loud drums and rock gospel singing. When we drew this to the attention of reception, who seemed oblivious to the deafening noise, despite being practically on top of it, they kindly went to ask the people in the conference room to be more respectful of other residents. The music was lowered for a few minutes and then proceeded to get gradually louder once more. In the end we gave up trying to rest and went to breakfast!

On the way to breakfast, we spoke to the staff on reception, who were very helpful and polite, and they kindly arranged for the duty manager to speak to us about the incident after breakfast.

Unfortunately, when we met the duty manager, who was polite and professional, she was only able to offer us a drink at the bar and a rather humble apology. What offended us more than this lack of appreciation for our situation was her suggestion that the management were unaware of the group's activities.

I was left bewildered by this notion, wondering who had actually taken the booking and how much profit the hotel had made on the hire of the room, at the expense of guests staying in the hotel that evening. Still, the damage to our stay was done and it was very clear that the management were taking no responsibility for the noise that had woken us (and other guests). Neither did they seem to take their own philosophy, "if you are happy, then we are happy," very seriously.

We are certainly far from happy with our stay. This hotel, despite the efforts of some very pleasant staff, has utterly failed to meet the expectations set by our previous experiences of Q-Hotels both in terms of customer service and the standard of accommodation and facilities. In short, stay if you really have to but no more than one night and don't expect the four star service and standards generally associated with Q-Hotels.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Markyw1972
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Markyw1972,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It is clear that you have experienced some disappointment with your visit and for this I am truly sorry.

I am keen to discuss the issues that you have encountered with you personally in more depth and I would be grateful if you could contact me directly on 01634 201333

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and in particular the manager (Claire). From the very first enquiry we were dealt with professionally and so were expecting good things. Well they manged to exceed our high expectations! I have been lucky to stay at some very nice hotels but the service we received here was the best.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Biztravel2014
Dear Biztravel2014,

Wow! What a great review, Claire is over the moon at having had a mention. Thank you for taking the time out to let us know your feedback.

I hope we'll see you again soon

All the best

Rochester uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I took my 13yr old daughter to the Bridgewood, along with five of her friends. They had use of the pool, heated beds etc and generally had a great time. They then had their nails filed and painted all finished off by a great lunch and surprise birthday cake! I would highly recommend the Bridgewood. The staff made a real effort to make my daughters day special. Great to find a birthday party that suited their ages but also made them feel grown up. The staff and the facilities definitely made it a birthday to remember.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Suzy C
Dear Suzy C,

Thank you for your great 5 out of 5 review. I'm really pleased that your daughter and her friends enjoyed their pampering experience here at Bridgewood Manor.

I hope that we'll be welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed at the hotel for 11 nights following a water leak at our home. The staff were so welcoming and helped us with so many things, from a sewing kit when the hem on my son's school trousers came down, to offering a meeting room for the children to practice their musical instruments. Thank you to all the staff for making a disaster at home more bearable.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank pullingerm
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you so much for your 5 out of 5 review. I'm really pleased that the team looked after you so well.

I hope that things are back to normal now at home, and hopefully we'll be able to welcome you back in future in better circumstances!!

Best Wishes

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

First class service from Ty Wallis and his staff - courteous, efficient and professional even though I was very demanding. Dinner was great and the breakfast was to die for. The restaurant staff catered to my every whim, right down to my request for a burnt fried egg which was cooked to perfection!!

The bed was so comfortable, shame I only got to spend a couple of hours in it as I spent most of the time talking to my friends through the night. Can't wait until my next stay here!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Victoria F
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Victoria F,

Wow! 5 out of 5 across the board, thank you very much. It's lovely to see that you were so well looked after.

Ty is thrilled to have had a mention and I will certainly be sharing your feedback with the rest of the team including the Chef!!

I look forward to welcoming you back

Best wishes

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Ashford International Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,059 reviews
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#4 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Bridgewood Manor - QHotels? Share your experiences!