“Afternoon Tea” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

I went to the Bridgewood Manor Hotel with a couple of friends for afternoon tea.What a disapointment. The cake stand arrived with a selection of assorted sandwiches, not finger sandwiches but cut into quarters,They consisted of cheese and pickle , prawns , ham and egg mayonnaise which i might add were very dry.The next layer on the cake stand was a very tired looking madeira cake and banana cake.On the top layer were 3 scones, cream and jam.When i picked the scone up it felt like a brick! As to cutting into, you needed a chain saw.The coffee was served in a tea pot and the tea pot had coffee in. I did complain to the Manager, who was very pleasant who apologised and offered us more sandwiches and cakes. We declined the offer, but, he agreed to take half of the bill which we settled for. I have had afternoon tea here before several times and always enjoyed it, but, alas not this time.I also noticed the waste paper bin in the ladies was over flowing with used paper towels all over the floor. I did mention this to the manager who quickly rectified this. Standards appear to have slipped since my previous visit, which is such a shame, as this is a very pleasant hotel for afternoon tea.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Barry774,

Thank you for your review. It’s always disappointing to hear of dissatisfaction with our product or service and I’m sorry that on this occasion we didn’t get things quite right with your afternoon tea. Thank you also for affording us the opportunity to discuss and arrange recompense for you on the day in light of the issues you encountered and I am pleased that the shortcomings were quickly rectified.

You have my assurances that the points you have raised have been discussed in depth with both my food and beverage team and housekeeping team to ensure there is no re-occurrence.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Nice bright, clean and quiet hotel. Even the function on at the time we were there was not intrusive.

Drinks are pricey but then most hotels are and the restaurant food was good but nothing special.

Staff very pleasant and efficient particularily in the restaurant. Breakfast is buffet style and lots of choice. Rooms very clean and reasonably spacious. Lots of parking and easy to find.

Pool area ok but felt a bit like a public swimming pool.

Well priced and would definately stay again.

Dear Raz7,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us, 4 out of 5 across the board!!

I will pass on your feedback to the team here at the hotel and I hope that we will be welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Dartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Sunday night and it far exceeded our expectations! when we arrived there was a small mix up with our room not being ready which was rectified in minutes, then as an apology we received a bottle of wine in our room, (which we then enjoyed in the courtyard which was delightful) which really made our stay. The housekeeping staff that we met were really friendly, all the staff we met seemed genuinely happy and went out of there way to make our stay as enjoyable as possible.The food in the restaurant was absolutely outstanding, it really was one of the best meals we have ever had, we are already planning when to stay here again, would highly recommend this hotel

1 Thank sheryl7713
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear sheryl7713,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. It’s always a pleasure to hear about 'getting things right and thank you for the recommendation. I'm pleased that the team were able to rectify the room issue swiftly and acknowledge our oversight with the wine that you enjoyed.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Bridgewood Manor in the not too distant future

Many Thanks

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

What can i say fantastic from start to finish. The room was clean and tidy with the added extra of champagne and chocolates which was a lovely touch as it was our wedding anniversary. The staff in the restaurant and on reception were all extremely helpful and always obliging. The food you could not fault , would not hesitate to stay at this hotel in the future. 5/5

Room Tip: for couples room 101 is excellent
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear marky662014,

Wow, thank you so much for your "Excellent" review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and a belated "Happy Anniversary" to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Best Wishes

England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My friend pre booked afternoon tea for a treat for 3 of us to get together.The sandwiches were slightly dry with no typical afternoon tea fillings and not really enough for three people. The scones were rock hard and the ever so boring other cakes dry. We were disappointed to say the least.Tea was in the coffee pot and coffee in the tea pot! The manager was apologetic and gave us a discounted bill as we decided not to try any further offerings or any of the other cakes. All in all it was a bit of a disaster saved by us being able to see the laugh at what the bridgewood manor, I assume, think is an acceptable afternoon tea .We have all enjoyed afternoon tea at other venues that in comparison make this attempt look very poor quality. Sadly though I was not surprised as when we walked in it was obvious to me that the place needs some money spent on it and to rebrand itself to reflect the 4 star rating that it has.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear MartyHel,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I'm really sorry to learn of your disappointment with our afternoon tea offering.

I have shared your feedback with both my Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager in order that the corrective coaching required can be carried out. I am pleased that you brought your comments to the attention of the Duty Manager and that recompense for your dissatisfaction.

The Hotel is nearing the end of £1/4million worth of refurbishment and redecoration works in public areas, meeting & bedrooms giving the hotel an updated look and will continue to further improve other areas in due course.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

For all those readers on here who are seeing reviews for this hotel with a 4/5 and 5/5, please think again. My husband and I have now stayed here twice - both times severely lacking in service and amenities.

We have friends in the area and everyone raves about it, but this is based on rumours going back 20 years. The sad reality is that this hotel is now tired and shabby and way overrated.

When you first walk in, the floors look dirty and the carpet looks like it has had many better years. It continues in the bar where the wallpaper is coming off in places and in the restaurant where the downlights aren't working and haven't even been replaced, leaving an empty hole in the ceiling. The prices for food and drink are over the top. This is probably based on that there are not many other venues in the vicinity unless you have a car or a taxi.
The rooms are ok but, speaking from experience, you can get just as good a bed (if not better) at the Premier Inn.

Our first stay was in the summer of 2013 and we were told that there was an air conditioner in our room only to find that this was a portable fan. We rang down for room service only to have to ring 3 times for it to be delivered.

During our second stay we were unable to use the pool and were not advised of this prior to arriving in the pool area. Also we rang down to reception enquring about the heated towel rail in the room and when it would come on. They didn't know and rang us back to advise that it would come on automatically in the evening, which it didn't.

Given the room prices, I do not consider this hotel to be good value or service overall. Having seen the reviews on this page and other travel pages, I do not understand what these travellers are seeing. We thought that the first time was just bad luck so thought we'd give it a second chance, but for us it is a case of twice bitten, never again!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank misterchester12
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear misterchester12,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I must apologise for the swimming pool being out of action during your stay. As a knock on effect from a local power outage, the chlorine levels on the day were unsafe and I took the decision to close the pool for the safety of our guests. I am sorry that this was not communicated to you outside of the leisure club reception.

The heated towel rails and bathroom extract fans are run on a timer system. I have checked with my maintenance team the room in which you were resident and it is unfortunate that the heating element for the towel rail had failed for which I apologise. This has now been replaced and the failed bulbs in the restaurant have also been addressed.

I am sorry that you believe the food and drink offerings to be overpriced. A number of options are available for dining in the hotel with Squires Restaurant offering a three course menu from £23 with main courses on our Bar Menu from £8.

I’m sorry to see that you felt the hotel is tired and shabby. We are coming to the end of a £1/4 million refurbishment programme in the public areas, meeting rooms and bedrooms giving the hotel an updated look and continuing to further improve other areas in future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Just back from an overnight stay with wife. Wife had already had an overnight spa break. This was my first stay and I have to agree with her first impressions. This is a very good hotel. Rooms were clean. Bed very comfortable. Food in restaurant was of high quality. Spa facilities look good ( I was unable to use pool and steam room). We are looking to return in a few weeks for another break. Definitely worth staying

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crascott
Barrie T, Hotel Manager at Bridgewood Manor - QHotels, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear crascott,

Thank you so much for your 5 out of 5 review. It's nice to see you found all areas of a high standard.

I look forward to welcoming you back in few weeks for your return visit. Let's hope the weather is as kind as it has been this weekend!!

Best Wishes

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Ashford International Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,060 reviews
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Bridgewood Manor - QHotels? Share your experiences!